• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some equipment

They are very gimmicky. They don't do much you couldnt do with a bar or dumbbells. Not to mention the are not adjustable so getting a set is so fucking expensive compared to dumbbells or a bar. Very poor value for money.
u seem to forget that to load a DB to the weight u want would cause it to be an awkward size and shape, for KB drills etc.

KB's are the jogging of barbells.

You own a set of kettle bells to keep up with the trend and the hoity toity.

Udls with 80kg, Swings, 1 armed snatches.

And you can get adjustable KB's.

Udls. Just do deficit deads and/or sldl. If you really want to do a udl get 2 bits of pipe weld into T and add plates. Only cost a few bucks, I made one.

Swings. Backwards throws are a better exercise anyway. Find something and throw it behind you kb swing style.

1 arm snatches. Just do fucking snatches.

Still not seeing any need for expensive kettlebells.

KBs are essentially a more versatile DB.

And with their increasingly popularity I'd expect the prices to become very competitive (I'm already seeing them pop up at companies that never used to stock them).

As Stickler says, it is difficult to do swings with a DB, and doing UDLs with a KB is far different to a DB (good luck finding an 80kg DB in OZ anyway).
I can't think of any exercise that can be done with a DB that can't be done just as well with a KB (except perhaps Renegade Rows - but then, who even does them?)

I'd only get DBs now if I had a way of making the bar permanently bigger (say 43mm+ diameter) so it's like a fat bar. Fat grips are ok but not fantastic.

A backwards throw is a 1-rep exercise. KB swings you can do as many as you like/can.

who needs DB's when u can just get a BB.
trollface.gif

lol jks

I completely dissagree.

KB are one of the most versatile training tools around.
I can fix people's squats. I can fix peoples deadlifts. I can improve somebodys cardio fitness. I can punish people with them. I can train groups with them.
KBs are awesome.

Oni - I'd get some vouchers for the butchers. You already have more stuff than you are ready for, spent the rest on food/supps/hookers.

Yeah I like kettlebells, I've never been to a gym with any weighing more than 20kg though so never got any decent use out of them. I used to like doing 1 armed push press with them

Food vouchers seems like a good idea as well, thanks for your help

Still failing to see any necessary exercises that you need a KB for that cant be replicated with standard gym equipment.

Callan. I would make an argument that you don't even need dumbbells. Bar and rack with cover 99% of your needs. The rest is just fluff.

Hamburg. No surprise you love them. Is there any obscure piece of gym equipment you don't own.

Like Andy say KBs are just what the trendy kids are using. Nothing special about them.

I don't see how they're any "less special" than DBs either?
Unless you think DBs are pointless as well.

What do you define as 'standard gym equipment'? smith machine, pec deck?

And I don't have GHR . . .

yet

Callan. I would make an argument that you don't even need dumbbells. Bar and rack with cover 99% of your needs. The rest is just fluff.

Hamburg. No surprise you love them. Is there any obscure piece of gym equipment you don't own.
lol @ ur point for hamburg.

u only need a bar and rack, actually u only need a bar. i used to clean the weight for front squats etc b4 i could afford a cheap set of racks. but then that will only get u so far without a rack.

only benefit i see from DB is stabilizer work. but u cant replace the shape of a KB with a DB. u can easily make a cheap T shape bar as a KB, but again, it will only manage so much weight b4 getting awkward.

Still failing to see any necessary exercises that you need a KB for that can be replicated with standard gym equipment.

Like Andy say KBs are just what the trendy kids are using. Nothing special about them.

They are good for olympic lifts, doing DB cleans and snatches is a great way to fuck up your shoulder but kettlebells offset the center of gravity to below your wrists so you're far less likely to tear your shoulder off by the weight flying back. They are also far easier to get into position with for overhead lifts

I don't see how they're any "less special" than DBs either?
Unless you think DBs are pointless as well.

What do you define as 'standard gym equipment'? smith machine, pec deck?

And I don't have GHR . . .

yet

Standard. bar, rack and Weights, adjustable dumbbells are an optional extra. There is nothing so different or special about kbs that can't be replicated with those.

Before anyone mentions conditioning with KBs. Cardio is cardio. Wether you do it with fancy KBs, barbell complexes, sprints it's gonna make stuff all difference. It just that funny looking KBs look more interesting to the average gym goer than going outside and running sprints.

They are good for olympic lifts, doing DB cleans and snatches is a great way to fuck up your shoulder but kettlebells offset the center of gravity to below your wrists so you're far less likely to tear your shoulder off by the weight flying back. They are also far easier to get into position with for overhead lifts

Hear is a revolutionary idea. Do oly lifts with an Olympic bar.

I think kettlebells are one of the least useful things you can buy. They are very limited and way down on the list of things I would get.

Save for a good bar, rack and weights.

i wasnt trying to start a KB vs DB argument my point was simply to invest the money into some decent equipment.

Standard. bar, rack and Weights, adjustable dumbbells are an optional extra. There is nothing so different or special about kbs that can't be replicated with those.

Before anyone mentions conditioning with KBs. Cardio is cardio. Wether you do it with fancy KBs, barbell complexes, sprints it's gonna make stuff all difference. It just that funny looking KBs look more interesting to the average gym goer than going outside and running sprints.

They are far better than dumbbells for unilateral work, especially olympic lifts

the KB/DB versions of the Olympic lifts are simpler to teach/learn.
So you get close to the same benefits minus having to f*ck around teaching them to someone.

I still prefer box jumps cos they're even simpler but I digress. Back to the equipment argument!