• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need some advice on dextrose/maltodextrin

dfly

Hey guys

I was wondering about the use of dextrose/maltodextrin in shakes. My main goal is weight gain, I don't really mind adding some fat as I am pretty underweight atm and have always had a hard time gaining.

i have 3-4 shakes a day, they usually consist of:

1 banana
50g superfine oats
300ml milk
20g peanut butter

breakfast i use 100g of oats + add 100g of yoghurt
PWO i add 1 serve of ON whey
before bed i add 1 serve of ON casein

i sometimes have a shake during the day as well, which is similar to my breakfast shake, usually 1.5h before workout.

I was thinking of adding 25g dextrose and 25g maltodextrine to my shakes. Is this a good idea, and if so which shakes should I add it too. I have never taken either product before.

Thanks

How does the rest of your diet look like?
Dextrose/maltodextrine is meant to be taken after training with your protein.
There are varying opinions if the insulin spike is necessary with the dextrose.
Dextrose is cheap, if you want try it, add it to your post workout shake and see if it makes a difference.

If your having 3-4 shakes on top of your 4-5 meals a day then thats fine, but if those shakes are replacing food then I would add more food.

I have the shake and usually a bacon and egg mcmuffin on weekdays for breakfast.

lunch is a banana and 2 peanut butter sandwiches. dinner is half cup white rice + beef, chicken or eggs.
i try and drink milk throughout the day as well, usually around 1L not counting what i use in shakes.

Last edited:
I wish I could eat food like that and not get fat as.

If you are not adding any body fat now you should be safe having the extra carbs at least with your PWO shake.