• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My Program. Opinions?

Danimal,
The rep and set ranges you listed above are they to be used with your max weight?

As a beginner/novice you need volume squatting, lets get that out of the way now. Even I'm still doing a fair bit of volume and always will, because its worked very well for me and the athletes I am coaching.

I'm a strong believer in volume for squatting and to be honest if your not doing volume you are doing yourself a misjustice.

Anyway...

The program we use with these sets are all progressive overload and they are all treated as individual exercises so the weights you use will vary.

For example I might do the 3x10 starting at 80kg, the 5x10 at 70kg and the 2x20 at 65kg. If I complete the sets 100% then the following week I add 2.5kg. Pretty straight forward.

I myself have done this for months at a time and it produces brilliant results.

Beginners get so wrapped up in this 5 rep squatting... you need volume for strength and mass.

At the end of the day everyone can do what they like but this style is being used a lot with my athletes and they are seeing great gains in strength and mass.

UEObV.png

For the "novice" I like to see more volume squatting. 5 reps I feel isn't enough and unless you can squat 160kg+ then you should be doing 10s and 20s with some 5s thrown in for good measure.
I'm curious (and my squat ain't @ 160 :p) - would you mind posting what that kind of routine would look like, in a bit more detail?

I'm currently doing mostly (but not entirely) 5s for squats, but I'm definitely willing to try something else if it's likely to improve my overall squatting and strength more.

i only problem i see with high reps is that noobs will probably break form and end up doing 10 shitty reps.

with 5 reps the weight will be heavy enough to force them to use decent form or they will fail.

if they were to use a weight for 20 reps it will be light and they will be able to good morning it all the way to 20.

if their form is golden for the all reps then by all means go for sets of 10-20

i only problem i see with high reps is that noobs will probably break form and end up doing 10 shitty reps.

with 5 reps the weight will be heavy enough to force them to use decent form or they will fail.

if they were to use a weight for 20 reps it will be light and they will be able to good morning it all the way to 20.

if their form is golden for the all reps then by all means go for sets of 10-20

Every athlete we coach is different. Some can't squat, some have minor flaws and some are not ready to put a barbell on their back. For the ones with decent technique we have them on this kind of programming. Some we have to progress to a full barbell squat so depending on their technique we have them doing other movements to progress them.

Not everything is black and white and when you train somewhere like PTC we help identify issues, correct them and help you progress safely.

In saying that... this is strength training, you are pushing your body, nothing is risk free. The key is to minimise the risk.

I'm curious (and my squat ain't @ 160 :p) - would you mind posting what that kind of routine would look like, in a bit more detail?

I'm currently doing mostly (but not entirely) 5s for squats, but I'm definitely willing to try something else if it's likely to improve my overall squatting and strength more.

I don't know what your technique/skill level/experience is like but... the program we prescribe novices with a decent level of technique and strength is the 3 day program. At the beginning of each day you squat, pretty simple. There's a 3x10, 5x10 and a 2x20. The rest of the programming is made up of a variety of other assistance work such as rows, UDLs, chins, dips, military pressing etc...

I don't know what your technique/skill level/experience is like but... the program we prescribe novices with a decent level of technique and strength is the 3 day program. At the beginning of each day you squat, pretty simple. There's a 3x10, 5x10 and a 2x20. The rest of the programming is made up of a variety of other assistance work such as rows, UDLs, chins, dips, military pressing etc...
Ah, yeah I saw that before (the 10s and 20s). It's just you mentioned throwing in 5s as well, so I wondered where they'd go.

Doesn't really matter - sounds more like a case-by-case thing, with a trainer and all that. Nothing I have access to, IOW. :(

Oh well. :) I just try to pick up what I can, here and there. My squat is - just! - at 120 right now, btw, but it's been hard going recently.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, mate. And enough with the threadjack. :D Seeing that it's sam's thread, 'n all.

Ah, yeah I saw that before (the 10s and 20s). It's just you mentioned throwing in 5s as well, so I wondered where they'd go.

Doesn't really matter - sounds more like a case-by-case thing, with a trainer and all that. Nothing I have access to, IOW. :(

Oh well. :) I just try to pick up what I can, here and there. My squat is - just! - at 120 right now, btw, but it's been hard going recently.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, mate. And enough with the threadjack. :D Seeing that it's sam's thread, 'n all.

You could do something like:

- 2x20
- 5x10
- 5x5

That would be ok. A decent range of volume.

I think the key is to SQUAT... most people don't because it's too hard. The fact is if you want to get strong you have to man up, drink a cup of cement and just do it. There's no secret to getting strong, its just plain old blood, sweat and tears..... mixed in with a lot of food/milk and sleep! haha

So these are on different days?... for example, i workout M,W,F
So, my squats should be perhaps (excuse the silly low numbers, my 5RM is about 80 at present)

3x10 Monday @ 60KG

5x10 Wednesday @ 50KG

2x20 Friday @ 40KG

Plus warmup sets of course...

? (plus other exercises like bench, press, deads as appropriate for the day)
Do you recommend doing _any_ sets of less than 10 for beginners squats?

That's correct.

When I first started I did this for 6 months.

If you feel you need/want to then add in some 5 reppers.

The whole point is for novice lifters is to build a solid foundation strength.