• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My Program. Opinions?

SWH

I've been on this program for ages now and i'm happy with it. I was just interested to see what others who might not of seen my training think of my program. This program has been revised over quickly by Trent from PTC. The main idea is to hit my primary strength/compound lifts hard, and use the assistance exercises to train areas of the body which I feel i'm lacking in when I do my main lifts.

I've recently changed my set structures to 2.5kg add on every set or 531 style although I follow a 5x5 and 3x5 setout. Every week I add on 2.5kg if the set was completed last week. I'm doing this for maximum weight gains on my lifts in preparation for the competition taking place next August.

The program consists of:

MONDAY-

-Squat 5x5
-Bench Press 5x5
-Military Press 5x5

-Dips 3x10
-Upright Rows 3x10
-Barbell Curl 3x10

WEDNESDAY-

-Deadlift 3x5
-Dumbbell Press 4x8
-Rows 5x5

-Leg Press 3x10
-Chinups 3x10
-SLDL 3x10

FRIDAY-

-Squat 5x5
-Bench Press 5x5
-Military Press 5x5

-Dips 3x10
-Pullups 3x10
-Upright Rows 3x10

Any thoughts or discussions on this program?

Looks pretty good. Shoulders would take a hammering from pressing 3 times a week, in addition to upright rows.

Be interesting to see how it goes. As DKD says, a lot of shoulder work so I guess some rotator cuff exercises might be good if you feel any sign of wear.

Is time an issue? 5x5 for everything usually takes me close to 2 hours to complete.

Try hepburns pressing course if you stalled on military

Last edited:
Is time an issue? 5x5 for everything usually takes me close to 2 hours to complete.

Try hepburns pressing course if you stalled on military

Yeah sometimes, it takes me like hour and a half usually with a partner, but its not too bad i guess. and my militarys probably my best lift in terms of progress at the moment

I would cut out the upright rows and just keep dips as a lighter movement as a maximum. 5x5 on bench and ohp is pretty tough already and you could get by without the dips.

As others have pointed out; in terms of upper body your plan it is quite shoulder and chest dominated.

Maybe sub the upright rows for a bent over dumbbell row to work the back a bit more. Maybe also drop the dumbbell press from Wednesday, to give more recovery from the Monday session. On Friday, do the shoulder press before the bench so you're not always preexhausting on the same exercise.

I'm looking to start powercleans soon, the upright rows is kinda a substitute for the time being, but i'm gonna have to maybe change to a different program if i want to add in powercleans since its more of a primary exercise.

I might start doing that with my press and bench as well. Also, the back gets trained pretty hard on wednesdays, heavy rows, chinups, deadlifts. But i might consider the dumbbell rows. also, I find the dumbbell press to be fine at the moment, if it gives me any further trouble i'll consider taking it out

An upright row is not a suitable substitute. Try Hang pull, high pulls etc that do not use the catch phase of the clean. It provides the same benefit in power and strength without the technical aspect.

Ease off the upright rows abs mp.. gonna blow out your shoulders.

P.s I must have skimmed this program real quick. Would have never ticked off the mp and upright rows

cheers Trent

Ease off the upright rows abs mp.. gonna blow out your shoulders.

P.s I must have skimmed this program real quick. Would have never ticked off the mp and upright rows

cheers Trent

I'll revise over the assistance again, and i'm still using your base program you gave me a while ago, but the assistance work you probably haven't gone over this time, I changed it cause I felt my shoulders needed work, i messaged you a while ago but yeah, you might of been busy or something lol. i'll revise this program thanks

An upright row is not a suitable substitute. Try Hang pull, high pulls etc that do not use the catch phase of the clean. It provides the same benefit in power and strength without the technical aspect.

Would these be suitable for assistance work?

For shoulders no but to replace cleans yes. I use them as a power building exercise. Exploding off the floor with a powerful hip drive and shrug.

For the "novice" I like to see more volume squatting. 5 reps I feel isn't enough and unless you can squat 160kg+ then you should be doing 10s and 20s with some 5s thrown in for good measure.

We have a lot of novices at PTC squatting three times a week - 3x10, 2x20 and 5x10.

You need squatting volume as a novice... that's my take and it's worked well for me and its working very well for our athletes. In 6 weeks I'm seeing execllent strength and size gains all round.

I'd agree with Danimal about volume, also on shoulders.

Not for novices, but Steve (Istvan) Javorek has a 5 day /6 week program featuring legs & shoulders everyday (heavy on squats and step ups and OL variants). I was introduced to it when it was adapted for a M&F magazine in the late 90's. Go back to it, at least once a year. Also incorporate his 'complex' exercises, either as warm-up or as training. Istvan Javorek Conditioning

For the "novice" I like to see more volume squatting. 5 reps I feel isn't enough and unless you can squat 160kg+ then you should be doing 10s and 20s with some 5s thrown in for good measure.

We have a lot of novices at PTC squatting three times a week - 3x10, 2x20 and 5x10.

You need squatting volume as a novice... that's my take and it's worked well for me and its working very well for our athletes. In 6 weeks I'm seeing execllent strength and size gains all round.

Sorry to hijack... but what about going even further and squatting more often per week?

Sorry to hijack... but what about going even further and squatting more often per week?

If you do the 3x10, 2x20 and 5x10 each week (3 separate days) with the right weight, it should be very challenging. That's plenty of volume.

Assistance work is on top as well, these are just back squats.

Most of our novices are on a program incorporating this and I used it myself.

With the 20 reppers I believe they are the best exercise you can do and you shouldn't stop doing them, at least not until your doing x1.5 to x2 for 20. That's where you want to be.

I myself are at the 122.5kg for 20 now at 83kg bodyweight, so almost x1.5. Im not going to stop either... I want x2 for 20.

if you did all your 5x5's as a top set of 5 i think the program would work alot better.

have a look at madcows intermediate. it is similar to what you have and it lays out all your weights. 5x5 Calculator

I tried powercleans today, shit form first time trying them really, and I haven't really got any training or looked up proper form, I videoed and i'll upload later.

Also, at the moment, my mind is on only the competition at the end of next month, I feel that my sets and reps range right now is more beneficial to me just until the comp starts, I don't want to start all over again knowing that its just around the corner, and i've been making solid 2.5kg gains weekly so far. I agree also with the volume, i've been taught that as well but for now i'm just going to stick to my setting while i'm in a good rhythm. I've put on 7.5kg to my squat and military press, 5kg to my bench so far which i'm pretty happy with, looking to change this soon as well so all help is appreciated :)

You need squatting volume as a novice... that's my take and it's worked well for me and its working very well for our athletes. In 6 weeks I'm

I'm glad you brought this up Danimal, with the deluge of all these 5x5 programs recommended to beginners these days it's good to see someone suggesting something more appropriate.