• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

MPress wont go up

I am having the same problem with my pressing strength.

2 things i am implementing into my program are incline rack press starting at chest for heavy singles and normal incline bench press for higher reps.

Well you can only do singles rack pressing from chest so work up to a weight that feels heavy then go from there, I do reps before i rack press.

Work out 3 times a week. Take a weight, lets use 45 kgs and perform 3 reps, 5 sets. Keep the same weight but add one more set each workout until you have done 10 sets with the 45kgs This will take you 2 weeks or 6 workouts. Now drop back to 5 sets, 3 reps, but add 2.5kgs Continue the addage of 5 pounds every seventh workout. This is the greatest pressing course known to weight lifters and body builders.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was in the exact same boat as you, wannabstrong. What I did was start on a push press and gradually decrease the amount of assistance from the legs until i could do the entire workout with a strict press. Only then would i move up and start with a push press again

First off, why are you posting this in the fitness section.

Anyway, you cant treat the MP like any other exercise. The PP has very little carryover we have found.

The MP is unique in that you start at the BOTTOM of the lift. Reps matter very little, in that the first rep is the hardest, unlike other movements where with reps it gets harder, its because you introduce momentum.

Good luck, maybe some fit guy will have an answer for you.

First off, why are you posting this in the fitness section.

Anyway, you cant treat the MP like any other exercise. The PP has very little carryover we have found.

The MP is unique in that you start at the BOTTOM of the lift. Reps matter very little, in that the first rep is the hardest, unlike other movements where with reps it gets harder, its because you introduce momentum.

Good luck, maybe some fit guy will have an answer for you.

Succinct as usual.

As the bar passes the head poke the head through the hole and push your hands together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Volume & Frequency.

If the bar weight is not going up then press what you're currently doing more times and more frequently....the weight will start to go up. Train it everyday if you want, twice a day even, your body will adapt, or maybe you're just shit :p

Stating the obvious, you'll need to get stronger.

The best way I know to get stronger is to get heavier. If anybody knows a better way, please enlighten me.

Now, if you wish to stay at your current bodyweight, its going to be a long haul. I'm not going to lie and say do this and that and you'll MP bodyweight.

One thing to remember. If the first rep is the hardest on a 3RM, its safe to assume that we need to do lots of first reps. The best way to accomplish this, is to not go to failure on 5 rep sets and beyond.

Choose a weight you can do 5 reps with, and do 10 x 3. I've seen lifters do 5 reps with a weight, chuck on 5kg and fail.

Whatever you do, dont use leg drive.......ever.

The PP is a great exercise on its own, but if your weak at the start, like the rest of the population, "kicking" your way past it wont help.

Funnily enough, one exercise that "may" have some carryover is pause benching.

Simply becoming a better all round presser, bench/overhead/DB/incline/dips will help.

As far as form, Andy has pointed out that sticking your head in the hole is important. Keeping your elbows pointing down as opposed to pointing towards a wall helped me.

Another exercise I did well at was single DB press, standing. This may have contributed to my MP. I was able to strict press a 50kg DB overhead and 45kg x 5.

So my advice is, do lots of "first" reps, do lots of pressing in other positions, add bodyweight.

Nothing extraordinary, hope it helps

A few people have stated it in various ways but basically as ghosty said volume and frequency.

Just recently i have focused more on MP, do it every session, or atleast do some assistance work targeting those muscles each session.

PP really only helps with your lockout in MP, getting it off your chest is the hard part.

I do front raises, side raises, seated db presses, DIPS, and incline db press, as assistance work, not all of them, all the time, but one or two execises everysession.

MP uses lots of tricep so ensure you are doing heavy weights for them, DIPS, close grip bench, skullcrushers, french press etc., heavy, you need power out of the hole..

If you feel you are arching back too much your core, and mostly your abs need to be stronger, focus on them while doing MP. at the end of each set hold that bar above your head for 15seconds, increase this each time, 30 seconds at your 3rm will smash your abs.:cool: (Please use a cage or rack or get a spot, we dont want you hurting yourself)

I took the trouble to look at your log (last update in May that I could see) and saw you were mainly doing sests of 10 for MP.

I don't know what you have tried since then but I strongly agree with doing mulitiple sets (5, 8 or 10) of 3 as that will let you lift a heavier weight and still give you volume. Make sure you are recovered between sets and "feeling strong" before your next set.

I am the same weight as you and MP 64kg for 10x3 and have MP'd 70kg so if I can do it anyone can. I was stuck just like you @50kg doing 5x5 and the above really got me out of that rut. Above all, just keep at it.

There is also a good article on the starting strength website I came across by Bill Starr you might like to read. I can't post the link as I am a newbie here. It's under the articles section. Good luck!

Markos with regards to this:

Keeping your elbows pointing down as opposed to pointing towards a wall helped me.

I'm interested to know what's at play here.

Am I right to assume that for pushpress/jerk it's favourable to have elbows pointed towards the wall, and for strict press it's to point them to the floor?

Why is this?

When I was doing C&J's the other day it got me thinking. When the elbows are pointed towards the wall the (elbows) ROM is shorter to get the bar overhead than if they're coming from being pointed at the floor. Is that at a loss of leverage (but compensated by the rest of the bodys involvement), works out to be the most efficient way, or is it simply because the weights they're putting over head get so heavy they have to rest it on their shoulders as apposed to holding it in the wrists?