• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

More food Macro confusion

I don't know if they can. I've never tried it. I now rough estimates of what the calories and macros should be on most things so its easy to spot something not quite right.

Way too complicated. Lol. Not really. Pen and paper, love your dedication but way too much work for me.

Yes you can confirm or edit anything in the mfp database.

If you have an iPhone you can download the myfitnesspal app which has an inbuilt barcode reader. Just scan the barcode of whatever you're eating and it should find a match.

The potatoes i currently have, "Woolworth's golden delight brushed potatoes" don't have the nutritional facts mentioned on the sack, but once i scan the barcode it comes up with-

Potatoes- Brushed-(Aust) (Fresh)
serving size - 100g
60 calories
0g fat
11.2g carbs
2.4g protein

^ see D1cko's post - that basically sums it up.

When I hear of people measuring things insanely down to the last gram.. it's seems crazy to me (unless you are striving for competition level bf). What if you run for the train that day and burn an extra 20 calories? Do you need to eat an extra 5g of sweet potato or an extra 7g of white potato? What if you have cold water today instead of room temperature water and you burn an extra 60 calories?

Honestly - the freedom you get when you realise that you don't need to be so retentive about it, it's incredible.

See Pistachio's thread, I've been using his approach (inadvertently) since about March and I've been able to clean bulk 3-4kg just by working at eating consistently the same things rather than accurately measuring every bit eg I can't know exactly what's in the portions of dinner my wife makes, but I know roughly I'm getting about 30g protein, no more than about 10g fats and about a serve of carbs (ie 30-40g). I then just factor that in with the other meals which I prepare and keep consistent.

And yes I know that a bulk is different to a cut, but I'm heading into a short cutting phase and I expect to have similar results.

Just relax :) If you use daily burn you will get huge variances in everything eg apples will vary from 17-30g even for the same size apple.

^ see D1cko's post - that basically sums it up.

When I hear of people measuring things insanely down to the last gram.. it's seems crazy to me (unless you are striving for competition level bf). What if you run for the train that day and burn an extra 20 calories? Do you need to eat an extra 5g of sweet potato or an extra 7g of white potato? What if you have cold water today instead of room temperature water and you burn an extra 60 calories?

Honestly - the freedom you get when you realise that you don't need to be so retentive about it, it's incredible.

See Pistachio's thread, I've been using his approach (inadvertently) since about March and I've been able to clean bulk 3-4kg just by working at eating consistently the same things rather than accurately measuring every bit eg I can't know exactly what's in the portions of dinner my wife makes, but I know roughly I'm getting about 30g protein, no more than about 10g fats and about a serve of carbs (ie 30-40g). I then just factor that in with the other meals which I prepare and keep consistent.

And yes I know that a bulk is different to a cut, but I'm heading into a short cutting phase and I expect to have similar results.

Just relax :) If you use daily burn you will get huge variances in everything eg apples will vary from 17-30g even for the same size apple.

you think you know what your eating, But you would ve very supried if you actaully weights and loged it all- unless you ahve done that in the past, Are now eating hte same meals therefore that would be the ONLY way to have a rough estimate at best.

If you have an iPhone you can download the myfitnesspal app which has an inbuilt barcode reader. Just scan the barcode of whatever you're eating and it should find a match.

The potatoes i currently have, "Woolworth's golden delight brushed potatoes" don't have the nutritional facts mentioned on the sack, but once i scan the barcode it comes up with-

Potatoes- Brushed-(Aust) (Fresh)
serving size - 100g
60 calories
0g fat
11.2g carbs
2.4g protein

see thats ok- Similar to Nutrition information for carbohydrates The Food Confessional

and also similar to a few others.

I've always thought that a margin of ~200calories either way isn't a bad thing. i.e you could go over by 200 calories and still be a-ok, or under by 200 and not see any issues.

My reasoning for this had something to do with differing levels of unintended activity (you could be colder one day and burn more calories just by shivering, for example), and the fact that counting calories within itself isn't a completely accurate process anyway.

The key is most definitely consistency, and is one of the reasons a lot of people eat on a cyclical basis (one strict menu this week, or for a couple of days, another strict menu for the next - variety being the spice of life).

you think you know what your eating, But you would ve very supried if you actaully weights and loged it all- unless you ahve done that in the past, Are now eating hte same meals therefore that would be the ONLY way to have a rough estimate at best.

Sorry Sydking - yes you are correct. Every 1-2 weeks I log what I'm eating for the day and check that I'm roughly on target. However, the post-dump-pre-breakfast-pre-gym-weigh-in is the key for me (and obviously just eating the same and then making a change when my weight stalls).

This is true judgey, people can log all they like, But ajustments need to be made accordign to what is sene on the scales and messuing tape.

My Fitness Pal allows you to set up your own data base of foods that you regularly eat, for example I made my own shakes, and gave them different names, so when I have a shake with berries, wpi, milk and honey I know what macros I have consumed. did the same for various breakfasts and lunches I have at work.

It's my own data base on MFP.

PS, like other have said, I don't think you have to get it down to the last decimal point, may be one day you walk a bit further, sleep a bit less, move extra stuff at work etc etc, surly your daily calorie expenditure will vary day to day, so a few calories either way will not make any difference as long as you are consistent, not consistently over or under depending on your goals.

My Fitness Pal allows you to set up your own data base of foods that you regularly eat, for example I made my own shakes, and gave them different names, so when I have a shake with berries, wpi, milk and honey I know what macros I have consumed. did the same for various breakfasts and lunches I have at work.

How long did that take you to set up?

Not long at all I just did it as I went along over a few weeks as I was eating stuff, so I worked out what was in my breakfast shake and I called it Mick's Breakfast shake, Mick's banana shake, Mick's WPI shake, Mick's Night time shake etc etc and added them to the data base.( I don't have all those shakes every day, but I have different shakes depending on what I want that day).

So if you have two slices of bacon, two slices of toast and two eggs for breakfast, work out the macros and call it Micks bacon and eggs and add it to data base etc etc.

Takes little a bit of time at the time you do it, but once done it only takes a second to add to your daily intake. You can even use it then to set up your meal plan for the next day, so you know what you will eat, so may be if you want a big dinner you can cut back during the day a bit etc etc.

Sounds like everything I do with my 'journal' except I plan out my meals for the week and write it all down :p

And these are recipes or actual single components of recipes that no-one else can screw with, with regards to the NI?

Once set up and going it's much quicker than a journal, takes literally 2 minutes to plan your next day or two out, and it's in your pocket all the time, so if something unexpected happens you can make a decision then and there, like add a coffee to your intake and it automatically adjusts your intake, so if you are fussy you can look at your overall plan for the day and remove a snack or something to keep your intake close.

Plus it gives you weekly overview at the glance of an eye to see where you are plus it shown any daily ups or down, and shows you how you went for the week.

So just because your planned intake is 2500cal, and you had 2850 on Monday, but 2380 on Tuesday and 2410 on Wednesday etc etc, but the whole week your intake might have been fine and that's all that matters.

It's as fast as checking your time, as well as providing graphs daily averages and weekly averages and monthly averages all in the blink of an eye, much easier to keep track of and much faster to use, as all your data, macros, fats, carbs protein etc is already in there, you can even set up macro ratios if you like and it will help you achieve these, like 40/40/20 protein/fats/carbs and again shows you with one look how you are going today, went over the last week or the last month. Very handy IMO.

Reactions: Jay
Intredasting. Thanks for the info, might check it out while I'm sitting on my butt for a few weeks.

I am not the most technically minded person when it comes to phones and computers, but if I can work it out anyone can, I use the iPhone 4s because I like things that are not complicated and are easy to use, not sure how good it is on android based phones, but should be the same.

Not concerned about how complicated it is, just how time consuming it is. At the moment I'm just trying not to get fat until I can start training again, so it would be a decent time to trial it, I guess.

Not concerned about how complicated it is, just how time consuming it is. At the moment I'm just trying not to get fat until I can start training again, so it would be a decent time to trial it, I guess.

The my fitness pal app is the quickest way I have counted calories by far. Takes only a couple minutes a day.

i Agree its quick, and the best one around, I too have quite a big database i use now of regualar foods,

More so, Its great for when i prep ahead of time, I will do a batch of sweet spuds, Say 4 kg, Then weight them all into 200G containers and freeze, Come lunch or dinner, dont need to weight, and to log takes no more then 10sec.

Ive noticed as time goes on ive become alot mroe savy and efficent gettign meal ready and planning for the week, It used to be such a big chore, Shopping, Packing food away, weighing, cooking, cleaning.

Now its just like breathing, Exepct when i get a hicup in macro data :) but ill build a bridge.