• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mind-Muscle Connection?

The trouble with most pec machines is it is difficult, and some impossible to line up the the shoulder with the axis point of the machine, the back rest and seat needs to be adjustable.
The machine also requires a seat belt.
Otherwise, sheering forces, overtime rip the shoulders to threads.

Thanks

In terms of developing or closely isolating the pecs,(the perfect chest exercise), I beleive the fly movement is the best, with either cables or dumb-bells.
Better still, finding a chest press with a converging moment, in that your hands meet at the finish of the movement.

The problem with a "pec-deck" is the movement is limited by the pads that your hands rest on, if you can find an isolateral type machine which enables you to move one arm across/further across the mid-line of the torso you will achieve absolute full contraction under full resistance.

So, if you could thoroughly Pre-fatigued the pecs on a pec machine like this and quickly move to a weighted dip with fresh tricep strength, the pecs will receive a thorough caning.

yeah its not the pec-deck that i use, its this machine.
hammer-incline.jpg

BUT. I do it sideways one arm at a time, one shoulder will be digging into the seat, so im facing sideways. The movement starts in line with chest and ends fully contracted past my shoulder, where i have to shrug/release shoulder to push anymore.

I'll start doing dips more, and after pre-fatigued the pecs.

nah its not that.

I'll sit sideways in the chair and do 1 arm at a time

you feel me?

I think there is confusion over mind/muscle correlation and performing an exercise correctly.

Sent from Pluto Space Station

Thanks

In terms of developing or closely isolating the pecs,(the perfect chest exercise), I beleive the fly movement is the best, with either cables or dumb-bells.
Better still, finding a chest press with a converging moment, in that your hands meet at the finish of the movement.

The problem with a "pec-deck" is the movement is limited by the pads that your hands rest on, if you can find an isolateral type machine which enables you to move one arm across/further across the mid-line of the torso you will achieve absolute full contraction under full resistance.

So, if you could thoroughly Pre-fatigued the pecs on a pec machine like this and quickly move to a weighted dip with fresh tricep strength, the pecs will receive a thorough caning.

Cable flyes (performed as a hybrid press)? I remember reading that Gironda's beginner's program had them doing decline cable flyes (kind of like a hug I recall).

As for mind muscle connection, I find exercises where I can feel the muscle working to be the most beneficial. If I don't 'feel' the muscle, I keep changing the exercise (e.g. grip position, cable/machine, standing/upright, unilateral) until I do 'feel' the muscle and if that doesn't work, I ditch it.

yeah its not the pec-deck that i use, its this machine.
hammer-incline.jpg

BUT. I do it sideways one arm at a time, one shoulder will be digging into the seat, so im facing sideways. The movement starts in line with chest and ends fully contracted past my shoulder, where i have to shrug/release shoulder to push anymore.

I'll start doing dips more, and after pre-fatigued the pecs.

I saw someone performing these on youtube the other day, do you find any issues with your shoulders? I feel like I would be overreaching and comprising the shoulder joint (which I don't like the idea of when I'm leaning against that side of my body).

I saw someone performing these on youtube the other day, do you find any issues with your shoulders? I feel like I would be overreaching and comprising the shoulder joint (which I don't like the idea of when I'm leaning against that side of my body).

Could you find the video please? Should be in youtube history or browser history.

My shoulders feel fine doing it

i dont have a mind muscle connection.... lol

nah i agree with most sentiment on here, in term of concentrating on contraction of the muscle. i hold a contraction in every rep to get "the pump" haha

although i think the term mind muscle connection is alot deeper than that, concentrating on the contraction is just proper form. as far as i understand it mind muscle connection is how your brain recruits the muscle fibres to lift the weight, alot to do with forward thinking of you pulling a 1rm, "being in the zone", some people set up process may help to get this mindset.

on the topic of chest excercise which seem to get a good contraction try this one: grab some dumbells and an incline bench, have the dumbells pressed out above you in a neutral position (like an incline hammer press) press the dumbells together sideways (as if you were holding the cables hadles together at the end of a flye) now perform an inlcine press while keeping the dumbells pushed together as hard as you can, so they will come down and once end of the dumbells will touch to the centre of your chest, then press them back up to the starting position, all the whille keep pressing them together.