• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mind-Muscle Connection?

It's funny
, when I do barbell curls I have to alternate each bicep... I can't concentrate on both at the same time...

It's funny
, when I do barbell curls I have to alternate each bicep... I can't concentrate on both at the same time...

I have the same issue with BB squats, so I alternate one leg at a time I can't concentrate at both at the same time.

I can't feel my lats contracting when I do chin ups. but they must be because I can do chin ups. And they are growing.

Isn't mind muscle connection about feeling and concentrating on the muscle to make it grow or something like that?

I can't feel my lats contracting when I do chin ups. but they must be because I can do chin ups. And they are growing.

Isn't mind muscle connection about feeling and concentrating on the muscle to make it grow or something like that?

No, not at all.
Your brain moves the muscle.

Not "feeling the lat's" in the chin-up is more of a mechanical issue.

The chin-up is a great over-all back developer, but not an efficiant lat builder.

If you assume the contracted posisition of the chin-up (upper arms against torso ands suppinated) you'll notice no full contraction of the lat.

Now, if you lean forward, place hands facing and imagine the resistance is behind your neck rather than in front like the conventional exercise, you'll notice full contraction of the lats.

This style of exercise will fatigue the lats a lot more effectively.

Ok I was referring to articles like thIs one:

Bodybuilding.com - 4 Tips To Help Train Your Brain For Massive Gains: Mind Muscle Connection!

It gives tips like lifting lighter weights slowly and squeezing muscles during contraction to strengthen mind muscle connection. it sounds like bro science to me.

If you are progressively lifting heavier weights with good form then that's all that is necessary to spur growth. You don't need t tricks to "strengthen the mind muscle connection". Agreed?

Ok I was referring to articles like thIs one:

Bodybuilding.com - 4 Tips To Help Train Your Brain For Massive Gains: Mind Muscle Connection!

It gives tips like lifting lighter weights slowly and squeezing muscles during contraction to strengthen mind muscle connection. it sounds like bro science to me.

If you are progressively lifting heavier weights with good form then that's all that is necessary to spur growth. You don't need t tricks to "strengthen the mind muscle connection". Agreed?

yes, and no IMO. If you are someone who has small pecs and has an awesome bench for instance.

You can use a lighter weight and squeeze your pecs as you bench to really work them more than just regular benching.

No. Actually getting and feeling the contraction of the target/working muscle will bring about way better muscular gains then simply lifting weight from point a to point b. Speaking from a bodybuilding perspective. There is actual published science and research to back this up.

No. Actually getting and feeling the contraction of the target/working muscle will bring about way better muscular gains then simply lifting weight from point a to point b.

But surely getting the contraction comes about by using the correct exercise, form, bar path, range of motion etc. to activate the targeted muscles, not by thinking about / feeling the muscle?

Imagine 2 people with the exact same anatomical structure lifting the same weight with identical form. Are you saying that one of them could intentionally and consciously "feel the contraction" more than the other and it would result in way better gains over the other lifter?

I couldn't find any research to back up this claim, do you have any links?

The secret is, there is no secret.

The most efficiant way to build muscle is to apply resistance to that muscle from a fully Pre-stretched position to a fully contracted position.

The way to work this out and in the case of the pec, is position the upper arm so that the pec is fully stretched to contracted position your upper arm will start just above shoulder height and finish just past the mid-line of the torso.

Then find an exercise that follows that path applying constant resistance through that path of motion.

Same idea If you look at how the lat inserts under the arm, wraps around the torso and attaches to the spine, upper arm begins in front of the face and finishes just past the torso for full contraction.

I think it is more an eye-muscle than mind-muscle connection.
Every time I see hot chicks in trainig tights, I can feel a certian mucsle activating. :D

think of it as contracting the muscle, while performing a rep.

as opposed to just performing a rep.

if you were to contract your bicep with no weight in your hands for 12 reps, you would work out your bicep more than if you just moved your arm up and down 12 times.

The secret is, there is no secret.

The most efficiant way to build muscle is to apply resistance to that muscle from a fully Pre-stretched position to a fully contracted position.

The way to work this out and in the case of the pec, is position the upper arm so that the pec is fully stretched to contracted position your upper arm will start just above shoulder height and finish just past the mid-line of the torso.

Then find an exercise that follows that path applying constant resistance through that path of motion.

Same idea If you look at how the lat inserts under the arm, wraps around the torso and attaches to the spine, upper arm begins in front of the face and finishes just past the torso for full contraction.

Goddam this is a 10/10 post.

so, something like a dip is the perfect chest exercise?

Is it worth hitting chest from "different angles"?

I notice when my wrist is in the middle of my chest, arm bent, facing sideways, and i push away from me, i feel my chest contract up a lot.

Goddam this is a 10/10 post.

so, something like a dip is the perfect chest exercise?

Is it worth hitting chest from "different angles"?

I notice when my wrist is in the middle of my chest, arm bent, facing sideways, and i push away from me, i feel my chest contract up a lot.

Thanks

In terms of developing or closely isolating the pecs,(the perfect chest exercise), I beleive the fly movement is the best, with either cables or dumb-bells.
Better still, finding a chest press with a converging moment, in that your hands meet at the finish of the movement.

The problem with a "pec-deck" is the movement is limited by the pads that your hands rest on, if you can find an isolateral type machine which enables you to move one arm across/further across the mid-line of the torso you will achieve absolute full contraction under full resistance.

So, if you could thoroughly Pre-fatigued the pecs on a pec machine like this and quickly move to a weighted dip with fresh tricep strength, the pecs will receive a thorough caning.

Last edited: