• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meet Greg Glassman, the man behind the CrossFit machine

I agree, and disagree. You said, you don't see old people doing Crossfit. Now you are saying there is a difference in ratios of young vs old in any gym. What is you point here? There is a staggering ratio of young vs old on the planet, strangely enough, the higher you push the age, the less the numbers seem to be.

I'd also disagree that Crossfit is not an avenue for the average person looking for health and fitness. Rock up to any Crossfit class and 90% of the class will be average Jo's sweating it out. 10% will be slightly above average. You say "event", but not everyone that does Crossfit competes in the sport of fitness. Usually it's just a HIIT circuit class in a group format, surely you aren't against that? If you are, what would suggest people do in their 1 hr of exercise per day?

I agree, and disagree. You said, you don't see old people doing Crossfit. Now you are saying there is a difference in ratios of young vs old in any gym. What is you point here? There is a staggering ratio of young vs old on the planet, strangely enough, the higher you push the age, the less the numbers seem to be.

I'd also disagree that Crossfit is not an avenue for the average person looking for health and fitness. Rock up to any Crossfit class and 90% of the class will be average Jo's sweating it out. 10% will be slightly above average. You say "event", but not everyone that does Crossfit competes in the sport of fitness. Usually it's just a HIIT circuit class in a group format, surely you aren't against that? If you are, what would suggest people do in their 1 hr of exercise per day?

When you look in a gym, you see a lot of young people.
probably, one out of every thirty is a person above 40 seriously pushing serious weight.

regardless whether one goes to cross-fit for health or to participate in the events, cross-fit is a sport and training is based on that.

When you look in a gym, you see a lot of young people.
probably, one out of every thirty is a person above 40 seriously pushing serious weight.

regardless whether one goes to cross-fit for health or to participate in the events, cross-fit is a sport and training is based on that.

Yes, what's your point with old people?

No, I'd disagree, training (in a Crossfit gym) is based on bettering yourself, beating you best time, beating your PB's, not beating others.

There is a staggering ratio of young vs old on the planet

Yes, more old than young.

Dude, seriously, are you saying there are more 80-100yo people on the planet than 15-20yo?

Post up where you are getting your information from. It better not be Wikipedia...

Last edited:
There are more 80-100yo people on the planet than 15-20yo?

Fucked if I know, you're asking this question.

Yes, what's your point with old people?

No, I'd disagree, training (in a Crossfit gym) is based on bettering yourself, beating you best time, beating your PB's, not beating others.

Opinions will vary, We'll leave it at that.

"Yes, what's your point with old people?"

To help me answer that for you, what do you think the point is?

I dunno, you could draw a lot of conclusions from it. Priorities change as you age
When your older your tolerance levels change and you can't handle training in a gym full of young dickheads
Confidence levels may change when you get older and you feel intimidated walking into a gym full of young people
Life gets in way when you are older (commitments else where)
Energy levels change when you get older
Joint pain

Many many variables as for the actual reason as to why they are more younger people training compared to the older folk.

I dunno, you could draw a lot of conclusions from it. Priorities change as you age
When your older your tolerance levels change and you can't handle training in a gym full of young dickheads
Confidence levels may change when you get older and you feel intimidated walking into a gym full of young people
Life gets in way when you are older (commitments else where)
Energy levels change when you get older
Joint pain

Many many variables as for the actual reason as to why they are more younger people training compared to the older folk.

Woohoo, yeah, that's another topic.
These conclusions, are cop-outs.
And directly related to how one approaches performing exercise.

but would never pay the high fees asked by crossfit, even if I was young and interested.

Even at $200 per month, $50 per week x 6 seasons per week, that's less than $9 per session, for coaching and programming. Boot camps cost more, yoga costs more, casual gym visits cost more. How cheap do you want it??

well with basic knowledge, and ability to observe and learn, I reckon $10 per week should cover it.

Biggest gym in Australia costs $8 per week, Derrimut, and my gym costs $13 per week.

My opinion, $50 a week is ridiculous.

Prior to 2012, I spent $8 or less per week going back over years, and learned to full snatch and power snatch; full clean and jerk, along with power movements; all bodybuilding movements with good form; how to throw, jump sprint; bounding; and more.

All of this, mostly before age of personal instructors, never mind crossfit.

I suspect you can still learn all of above for less than $10 per week.

However, good luck to those who pay $50 per week, and good luck to those collecting each person's $50 per week.

Last edited:
What do I get for $13 per week at yor gym? Just use of the equipment or programming and coaching as well? I don't know how places can cover costs for that? I'm looking at opening my own place and rent alone will be $2-2.5k per month for around 300sqm. Edit: is there a section for gym owners to share ideas etc?

Don't get me wrong, as I have said previously in this thread, I don't condone Crossfit, I'm just providing an objective point of view. If I lived in Brisbane I'd train at Cougars for $50per month and train under national level coaches that take athletes to the Commonwealth and Olympic Games.

Last edited:
many of my gyms trained at were at athletic clubs, so access to Aust champions or national level athletes was never a problem.

Also, many top athletes also train at bb gyms.

I have no problem with crossfit, just say there are alternatives, much cheaper. A person just needs to look around to get a much cheaper deal and good athletic and strength training.

This is also the internet age with much knowledge and technique free, albeit one must have an ability to separate good and bad advice, as has always been the case.

Last edited:
many of my gyms trained at were at athletic clubs, so access to Aust champions or national level athletes was never a problem.

Also, many top athletes also train at bb gyms.

I have no problem with crossfit, just say there are alternatives, much cheaper. A person just needs to look around to get a much cheaper deal and good athletic and strength training.

Depends on where you live I guess

Have to be careful learning the lifts from athletic coaches. I did a strength and conditioning course with Dan Baker teaching the lifts. Holy moly, that was an experience

This is also the internet age with much knowledge and technique free, albeit one must have an ability to separate good and bad advice, as has always been the case.

This is true but you still need someone to watch and correct what you are doing, otherwise it can be a long hard road with very slow gains

I pay $150 per month at my crossfit, Bang for bucks I think its great, I would find it very difficult to push myself as much as I do at crossfit on my own, especially 6 days a week, my olympic lifts have been improving by the week and currently 6 month in without any signs of a injury, $40 a week for 5 group fitness sessions, open gym time and 1 performance development session a week, seems good to me, plus we are fully insured even against our own stupidity