• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Meet Greg Glassman, the man behind the CrossFit machine

Why can't they just do normal pull ups instead of that retarded kipping shit?

BTW cult implies something more sinister.
Stupidity did not equate to being a cult.

Why can't they just do normal pull ups instead of that retarded kipping shit?

BTW cult implies something more sinister.
Stupidity did not equate to being a cult.

They do strict pull ups when the workout calls for it. They do kipping pull ups because that is the fastest way to do more reps in less time. The rules state that you must go from full arm extension to chin over, or chest to bar, a kip is within the rules, so why wouldn't you??

I don't condone this shit (Crossfit), but if you want to throw shit at something you probably should at least understand it otherwise you come off all stupid (not directed at you Shrek, just sayin). I could walk around and say football is the dumbest sport ever, they throw the ball BACKWARDS to go FORWARDS....full retard!!! Power lifters do a paused bench press yet don't take their squat through a full range...full retard!!

A cult following is a group of fans who are highly dedicated to a specific area of culture. So cult could fit.

I think they do kipping pull ups because it focuses on the explosive movement that leads to being able to do a muscle up.

Last edited:
with every sport, all rules are stretched to there absolute limit, so in crossfit when you have to preform lets say 30 chin ups and the rule book says that chin must go above the bar at the top and arms must reach full extension at the bottom, turns out kipping or butterfly chinups are the fastest and most efficient way of doing this, theres no rules saying you must do it this way when you are at crossfit, you are more than welcome to preform strict pullups, but most crossfit workouts are a race against the clock so most tend to kip for max speed, we usually do strict weighted chinups weekly for strenght but when chin-ups are in a workout we kip,

with every sport, all rules are stretched to there absolute limit, so in crossfit when you have to preform lets say 30 chin ups and the rule book says that chin must go above the bar at the top and arms must reach full extension at the bottom, turns out kipping or butterfly chinups are the fastest and most efficient way of doing this, theres no rules saying you must do it this way when you are at crossfit, you are more than welcome to preform strict pullups, but most crossfit workouts are a race against the clock so most tend to kip for max speed, we usually do strict weighted chinups weekly for strenght but when chin-ups are in a workout we kip,

Oh... well then Shrek is right... Seems like stupidity to kip for the sake of getting out more cheating reps.

Still I find the community, events, youtube vids and equipment used all pretty interesting and am "pro" crossfit.

Last edited:
I think they do kipping pull ups because it focuses on the explosive movement that leads to being able to do a muscle up.

I think you are wrong.

The kip is a gymnastic movement, the muscle up is a gymnastic movement, but that is where the relationship ends. You can do a strict muscle up, same as you can do a strict pull up. Gymnasts get points for control, Crossfitters get points for speed, hence the combination of the two movements.

I explained earlier why the kip is used, I fail to see the correlation between being a faster movement and cheating. Is running considered cheating in a race to cover the most distance in the shortest time on foot?

I guess, at the end of the day, if you can't get past the kip and consider it a cheating movement this is due to your own shortcomings, perhaps you feel threatened by the movement because you can't do it? I dunno, but seriously, does it even matter to anyone that doesn't do Crossfit?

Don't worry about exercise and training properly, just go up and down as fast as you can, you might get injured due to shitty form but you'll go up and down real fast.

Solid logic.

Don't worry about exercise and training properly, just go up and down as fast as you can, you might get injured due to shitty form but you'll go up and down real fast.

Solid logic.
Google Gym fails there are endless videos of non crossfitters hurting themselves with shit form and plain stupidity
you do anything with shit form you will get injured, not just crossfit, the amount of PT's I see at commercial gyms preaching shit form or local "gym buffs" with terrible form, I find it hard to stereotype crossfit as the only form of exercise with the ability to have bad form, infact we get pulled and told to drop weight if our form is not looking safe, I would love to know what you meant by "exercise and training properly" have you ever attended a crossfit class to make that call?

no, if participants are happy with format, let them do what they like, including kipping.

I do like all round element, I just don't like some of events.

Will still watch though, but would never pay the high fees asked by crossfit, even if I was young and interested.

Solid logic.

One minute you guys argue it's cheating, now it shitty form and you might get injured.

It's ok if you don't like intensity, it's not for everyone.

Then spell it out for me

I take issue with this subject being in the "General fitness training" section

It should be in the "cross-fit" section

Cross-fit is NOT an avenue for the average person looking for health and fitness, unless they are aware that the events and the rules in the events are not based on health and those rules are stretched to the max.

I have no beef with any sport that acknowledges and states the there is a higher risk of injury on the playing field and what we do off field in terms of training is based on biulding the body to limit the exposure to injury.

like everything there will always be an exception to the rule, where someone stands out from the rest, and we place them on a pedastal, use them as an example, this person is not normal.

you look around any gym and there is a staggering ratio of young versus old.

It can only mean one thing, we approach "exercise" as a sport.