• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Maintaining strength/size

Def Trap

Hey guys! I've spent the past 4 months getting back the size I lost on my 3 month break, strength has increased a fair amount. Now I'm going on a 3 month holiday and don't want to lose what I've worked so hard to get back. So what should I do to maintain the strength/size while I'm away? If I'm able to acess the gym what's the minimum I should go and what lifts should I concentrate on?

Cheers!

Deadlift/squat/bench=heavy

Train briefly and intensely, if you don't you won't maintain shit as your body will do what it does best, adapt to whatever conditions you throw at it. If you go on hols and don't train, your body won't be adapting to training will it.
You will prob hold onto most of what you have done.....Not sure here, but 3 months isn't that long, but than again you only trained for 4 months so I would think you could loose allot if you don't train.

3 months? I'd be starting at square one again.

For every 1 week I miss, it takes me 2-3 weeks to get back up to what I
I've lost in strength.

As Rambodian said, do the most basic compounds, and do them heavy. You should be able to maintain strength and muscle mass fairly well on 1-2 sessions a week.

If you don't have access to the right equipment while on holidays, make do with what you can use. 12 weeks of leg presses and seated chest presses ain't ideal, but you could do worse.

3 months? I'd be starting at square one again.

For every 1 week I miss, it takes me 2-3 weeks to get back up to what I
I've lost in strength.

Don't you ever take 1 week breaks to actually rest? I find sometimes i feel stronger after taking a break for a week

Swings and roundabouts really. Everyone will experience it differently, some will be able to blast straight back into it but I know myself I lose strength and size very quickly.

Don't know if it's suitable for you're level but I'm about to go on holidays also and I'll be employing a Max OT style thing with one workout a week or so. Which is a big change for me as I've always been a pretty high volume guy.

Don't you ever take 1 week breaks to actually rest? I find sometimes i feel stronger after taking a break for a week

No. I hate taking time off. I hate missing one squat workout during week < I do 3. I notice the difference when I do. I struggle the next session.

Assuming your able to keep your diet reasonable i would think that you should be able to keep most of your size and depending on what you are able to train like perhaps the majority of your strength as well, there are many people who manage to get bigger and stronger only training 3 times a week, so if you can concertrate on Bench, Squats and Deads while maintaining a reasonable diet on Maintence level i think you should do OK.

If its a decent gym just train as per normal - have a look at how Trent trains, I doubt he lifts more than 30 minutes a session.