• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Low Bar Squat elbow pain

M - I agree with arms under the bar with high bar.
but doing that with a low bar makes the bar roll down your back.

moz-screenshot-7.png
moz-screenshot-8.png

4.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

58.jpg

76.jpg

A few pics from the Worlds

1.jpg

5.jpg

And a couple from forum members

Simon Chan is one of the best squatters on here, well over 200kg raw and over 250kg equipped. Weighs 82kg.

Dont make me post a video of low bar/elbows under on here.

Learn to lift correctly, ELBOWS UNDER

f u c k it....anymore excuses

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZIDxEZuSM4&feature=related]YouTube - Simon Chan - PA Nationals Melbourne July 24th 2010[/ame]

I expressed myself badly, I did not mean that elbows would be way back in a low-bar. Sorry, I've just not seen it as an issue, most people lack the flexibility to do it even if they wanted to. It's usually a struggle just to get the elbows under the bar and the wrists straight.

Good pic of Kelly showing the bar being pulled down into the back.

The lats play a significant role supporting the back/spine.
Posted via Mobile Device

I had some elbow pain ages ago, fixed it by keeping thumbs over, wrists straight, and using a more narrow grip.

EDIT: My grip is closer to Kelly's than to those pictures form the worlds. But I also low bar squat, and my body is differently proportioned compared to the OP's. (I have short legs/arms compared to my torso.)

Last edited:
The elbows under the bar come naturally to me, regardless of high bar or low bar (I started with high bar and I'm using low bar atm). Never had elbow pain nor any stress on the elbows for that matter. Pinkies well inside the rings on the power bar (rings 81cm apart), hands just over a thumb's width away from the smooth.

I've never really thought about elbow position. My cue is to get the hands close and squeeze the shoulder blades together (engaging lats for support?) to create a tight shelf to hold the bar.

Honesty way to much ego and crap going on in this thread. Haven't people thought that there is more than one way to train. Wendler and Ripptoe talk about this on Rips site. They have some different ideas and theories but in the end they come to pretty much the same conclusion. Make sure you Squat, dead, press, bench ect. People arguing about high bar, low bar, 5 reps, 10 reps, elbows. What a load of crap. Both ways can work and work very well. When you look at the basis of there training Rip and Markos are very similar.

Rip has his theories on why low bar is better. Markos on high bar. Both ways can work, in the end its all an educated guess and we stick with what we think is right. Both ways are getting people stronger.

Pick a way you want to lift or even better find someone like Markos or Rip to train you and listen to them and bust your arse and you will see results.

I got better results the second I started high reps so I'm speaking from personal experience. I don't think ego is the problem mate it's just people going out of their way using their own time to try and help others. If those people don't wan accept that help that's fine, but if they question the help expect answers and don't expect them sugar coated.
Posted via Mobile Device

I really suck.

Seriously, reading stuff like PTC getting someone from squatting barley 20kg to squatting 100kg in 4 weeks, and also his son deadlifting 140kg first go or whatever makes me want to give up.

But I won't...

Last edited:
Kelly, can you explain you thumbless grip please?
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't really remember why i changed to that grip. I used to have my thumbs around the bar when i started. I think I started to get sore wrists and elbows from doing it that way, especially during 20 rep squats, so i changed it to a thumbless grip and found it was a lot more comfortable and my problems went away.

Why does everyone always associate low bar with wide stance shallow squats? Everybody should squat deep but i believe bar position, like Silverback said earlier, should be up to the individual to gain the most advantage. A month or so before the Nats, i started to use a low bar (not super low, more around mid trap) but still squat narrow stance ATG. I found lowering the bar a lil helped with my balance, as i was leaning forwards to much and the bar was traveling over my toes.

Also, as much as i hate them, i'm a advocate for high rep squatting. I believe they're good for consolidating squatting technique and to teach someone how to fight through a tough squat. I felt like i was squatting at my best when i managed 135kg x 20 @ 83kg.

Keep reading that stuff and starting squating high reps and you won't look back. Try 50 kg for 20 reps. As it gets harder take in three big slow deep breaths.
Posted via Mobile Device