• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Low Bar Squat elbow pain

bro

Anyway else have elbow pain from low bar squats? I don't get any pain during the squat but after the squats I can't bench or press...

You're doing them wrong.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/10055310]Zach 320# 5 x 5 (Camera #2) on Vimeo[/ame]

See how his wrists are straight and dont intercept the weight? thats what you have to do.

Here's how I'm doing them: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxL_RPitBHE]YouTube - Low Bar Squat 87.5kg x 5[/ame]

I'm no expert on the squat but it looks like ur elbows are way too far back. Get them to as close to under the bar as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Doesn't matter if you can't use your arms after you squat. If it hurts then your form is not right for you. You could also try highbar squatting instead, see how that feels.

Your legs look like pins, why are you doing everything you can to avoid building them up.

Get the bar up high, elbows under the bar, get your rep range above 10 reps

Your legs look like pins, why are you doing everything you can to avoid building them up.

Markos loves high bar squats.

What do you like about the high bar squat compared to the low bar squat that is shown above?

When would you like lifters squatting low-bar compared to high-bar?

As oliver said, it's not just the bar placement, the whole mechanics of the lift changes:

Oliver04 said:
The main difference apart from bar placement is that one is driving up through the torso and the other is driving up through the hips.

I'm doing Starting Strength PTC. Mark Rippetoe's program uses 5 reps and low bar squats. I know you like high bar squats and higher reps, but I don't see any reason why that should be better for strength.

Also my legs are not pins :( I just measured them at the top of the thigh and they are 65cm or 25inches but I don't care about size. My legs are weak though, and I do care about strength...

Anyway, thanks for the advice people, I'll try keeping my elbows down more I guess and see how I go on Monday...

Last edited:
A low bar squat is used for the lifter to potentially move more weight and is suited to parallel squats, perfect for competing powerlifters.

Anyone interested in building impressive quads and enhancing athletic ability should stick to regular squats.

Its all goal dependant. With his 110kg squat, I thought he might actually like to get bigger and stronger.

all novices pay attention, upper body 5 reps, lower body 10 reps

Yes, I know its hard

Good luck bro

Anyone interested in building impressive quads and enhancing athletic ability should stick to regular squats.

all novices pay attention, upper body 5 reps, lower body 10 reps

PTC, this is your opinion. Other coaches disagree. And that's fine that you disagree, when I'm doing your program, I'll listen to the way you think I should do things. However, despite the fact that you say you respect Mark Rippetoe, etc, whenever someone is doing things his way you tell them they are doing it wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't really see how Rippetoe's squat can be confused with the way most power lifters squat :confused:
[YOUTUBE]FVKEl4Wxoqc[/YOUTUBE]

Listen to Markos mate if you leave your ego at the door he can help you more then Mark Riptoe will. Why dont you google his gym and have a look at his results? Try to 20 reps of 87.5 with taking three deep breaths for rest in between all of them. I personally do three sets of six reps then three sets on a lower weight in between 10-20 reps on normal or front squats.

Every person in my gym with thick legs, with strong legs, who look strong they do two things.
1. They squat large reps
2. They wear other colors then white to the gym :p
Posted via Mobile Device

Shane, its exactly how PL squat, the OP doesnt strike me as a PL though.

You guys get your goals confused

PTC, this is your opinion. Other coaches disagree. And that's fine that you disagree, when I'm doing your program, I'll listen to the way you think I should do things. However, despite the fact that you say you respect Mark Rippetoe, etc, whenever someone is doing things his way you tell them they are doing it wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Three aspects of SS I disagree with are

1. Not teaching lifters how to do a deep knee bend
2. Low reps for MP, has produced the most mediocre group of OH pressers
3. Not enough deadlifting

His programs are generic. I'm sure if you got Mark one on one he would be different, but his one size fits all, his automatic method of lift less when you fail, dont do too much deadlifting, either BP or MP, dont do both, all leads the average lifter to poor results.

The good lifter, of which youre not, will thrive on any junk we throw at them. You are doing Mark's workout, the same one a great lifter may be doing, but your results indicate you may need something different.

Just an observation from afar, I am allowed an opinion arent I ?

You did post on here looking for answers didnt you?

Do you only want answers that make you feel warm and fuzzy?

You dont need to measure your thighs, just look at them, I cant believe you went for the tape lol

Lol, you are allowed an opinion. It just seemed to me that whenever people do something differently, you try to make them Do it your way. And maybe your way is the best, I'm not disputing that but its not the only way, and I've had some decent progress with this over the last few weeks (at least in the squat and deadlift). Anyway, moving past that.

Yes, i made this thread for advice. But it was mostly for advice on how to fix my elbows. I know my lifts are weak, but I'm working on them. Although honestly my bench/press progress isn't going so well so maybe you're right. But part of that is because of my elbows.

BTW, how do you know whether I'm a bad lifter, if you don't know how long I've been lifting? You're right of course, I don't have the best lifting genetics, but how did you come to that observation?
Posted via Mobile Device

All the other shit aside.

Move the bar up your back, place your elbows UNDER the bar.

Thats my answer to your original question.

Hope it helps

If your goal is purely strength then your squat is fine...you could even bring your stance out abit more...

Whenever I do strength/powerlifting programs I do low bar squats..if im looking to gain mass on my legs as markos said I will bring the bar abit higher....but I do feel if you goal is to move as much weight as possible slightly wider stance + low bar squatting will be best.

bro, I agree that higher reps for a beginner squtting is the way to go. It does a few things IMO. 1. Helps you concentrate on form. 2. Shocks your skinny body to change. 3. Lifts your endurance up, which you will need to pull yourself out of trouble on higher weight, lower rep squats.

I can tell you this, because I have experienced it.