• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

lol @ Mehdi not being bigger because he doesn't take steroids

I can't think of any beginner who can devise by themselves a better program than SS to get them started on the right track. It's like saying you don't need a recipe to make a cake, just mix whatever you please lol and see what you get.

It gets trainees squatting three times a week.

Which makes it instantly better than the majority of training protocols out there, especially beginners.

Talking SS however.

And look at where u are today Ryan... Your knowledge is so much greater...

SS is just a stepping stone.... You don't learn this stuff if you don't spend time in the trenches doing the basics...

Look at Sheiko....Everyone adds back work cause of the in balance.... Ands yet this is an elite program...

You miss the subtle benefits of SS....for a newb that is....
My programming knowledge was pretty decent before I ever read SS. It was my job to write programs before I ever read SS. There are absolutely no "subtle benefits" of SS that can't be learned on a balanced program. I'm not even saying that the things that are in SS are bad, I'm saying that it's missing important stuff for no good reason.
Pullups are part of the SS program. I think its the number 1 assistance exercise from memory.

It took three editions for pull ups to become an official part of the program, and they're still heavily outweighed by pushing. In the first edition there were no assistance exercises, and the second edition recommended pull ups as assistance work but only on the proviso that adding any sort of assistance work meant YNDTP, which technically makes me a liar for saying I've done SS, because since I started learning about training I've never been stupid enough not to do upper body pulls.

You don't need to write programs for beginners, excluding injury they just need to do the same thing, squat eat repeat.

Well I'm pretty sure I want to kill him after I torture him, but do I torture or rape him first? Or torture him, kill him, then rape him???

I don't know... too many options. :confused:

Eat is the best option. Crack open the skull and seek out the pituitary gland before it goes stale.

Does not make it bad either.. who said no one got strong doing it? Coz the internet said so?

If it works for a beginner it works

No one has been able to list anyone that has got legitimately strong using the 5x5 routines

Or been able to give a reason for doing 5x5 other than "it's better than milling around"
Even though I've seen a lot of people get stronger in commercial gyms doing just this... one look at reddit and the legions of people doing 5x5 and they all call bullshit if anyone claims to have more than a 3 plate squat

Or been able to give a reason for doing 5x5 other than "it's better than milling around"
Even though I've seen a lot of people get stronger in commercial gyms doing just this... one look at reddit and the legions of people doing 5x5 and they all call bullshit if anyone claims to have more than a 3 plate squat

Because its a beginners linear program?

No one has been able to list anyone that has got legitimately strong using the 5x5 routines

I think perspective is needed. SS and SL are not powerlifting programs - that's not their purpose.

The programs are designed so that complete novices can quickly become strong in the core barbell lifts. Strong is contextual and in this case it's relative to the general population. Nobody will get 'legitimately strong' from these programs because that's like expecting someone to write poetry when they're still learning their ABC's.

I think perspective is needed. SS and SL are not powerlifting programs - that's not their purpose.

The programs are designed so that complete novices can quickly become strong in the core barbell lifts. Strong is contextual and in this case it's relative to the general population. Nobody will get 'legitimately strong' from these programs because that's like expecting someone to write poetry when they're still learning their ABC's.

I think you're right. I just don't want to get in to bad habits so I want to get as much advice as possible to add more technique and perhaps some assistance exercises for the program. It's been great on here getting advice from great members, but it does get a bit confusing.

Everybody thinks what they do is the best, I can understand their point most times because quite frankly I'm sure it is the best.... FOR THEM. Everybody has different needs and some things work better for some individuals but until I learn this for myself I will soak up what I can. I have taken some advice from here already to change a few things around but still keeping the general structure of SS. Once I perfect my form and become strong enough then I will 100% be doing something more tailored to my body and mind

Mate "PTC" / "Markos" who put up the PTC program had some good points about 5x5 - that it was designed for Bill Star who wrote it for high school footballers who are already strong - and that his program was better for a beginner. Check out that thread and all the debate that ensued.

Mate "PTC" / "Markos" who put up the PTC program had some good points about 5x5 - that it was designed for Bill Star who wrote it for high school footballers who are already strong - and that his program was better for a beginner. Check out that thread and all the debate that ensued.

I haven't even seen this program! - I will try find it

Lol...

Let's put a learner on Sheiko or smolov for giggles...

My thoughts would be...
PTC beginner program for 3 months..then a 3 month blast on SS... Assuming you do them properly.... From here you will know enough about what you want to do next..