• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Legs at home

It doesn't.

Seriously if someone doesn't have a proper home gym set up stop wasting time with crappy workouts and go to a gym like most other people.

Don't rule out bodyweight. People go to gyms with different goals in mind, if he's looking to build muscle over strength or power whats wrong with bodyweight? If he can't get to a gym for whatever reason you just have to assume that there is no other way that he can train for the time being, not everybody has money to join a gym or have a proper home set up. The least he could do is train in a way that will still give him some sort of results with what he has.

Its actually the complete opposite of wasting time because if he isn't training as hard as he can at home with what he has then he would be wasting time. The important thing here is using time wisely and using what he has available to him. I wish it was as easy as you pointed out but he might not be like "most other people" who can just sign up at the first gym they see

Than you Fadi.

When i restarted at the gym weighing 82kgs, first <6 weeks was body weight training.

The topic is legs at home. Otherwise Sari's workout routine would be broadened if he had access to a gym.

Exactly but I am just explaining what will happen if he wants to work out legs without some way of squatting. You can fuck around with bodyweight squats and static holds all day long but the results are going to be pretty disappointing compared to some basic progression on squats. If he is happy with that, fine.

Exactly but I am just explaining what will happen if he wants to work out legs without some way of squatting. You can fuck around with bodyweight squats and static holds all day long but the results are going to be pretty disappointing compared to some basic progression on squats. If he is happy with that, fine.
Real muscle is built under real weight - im hearing ya!

guys and dolls, I have a similar problem. Just can't afford a gym membership to do my weekend workout at a gym so am limited to BW at home (although I have some KBs and stuff for weights but no bar or proper setup).

I end up doing BW squat drills and some goblet squats and split squats, lunges etc with DBs.

But eventually you grow out of what you're doing and that's the point at which you have a real dilemma. It's very frustrating.
But it doesn't help to be told "join a gym". I miss going to the gym but at the moment, $$ going to trainer (for good reason).

Even if I had the extra $$ to spare right now, I have no space for a home gym.
So I empathise with Sari's situation.

guys and dolls, I have a similar problem. Just can't afford a gym membership to do my weekend workout at a gym so am limited to BW at home (although I have some KBs and stuff for weights but no bar or proper setup).

I end up doing BW squat drills and some goblet squats and split squats, lunges etc with DBs.

But eventually you grow out of what you're doing and that's the point at which you have a real dilemma. It's very frustrating.
But it doesn't help to be told "join a gym". I miss going to the gym but at the moment, $$ going to trainer (for good reason).

Even if I had the extra $$ to spare right now, I have no space for a home gym.
So I empathise with Sari's situation.

think outside the box :D

kids, husbands, piggy back them and squat!

I love using my kids for weights. Linear progression max.
Encounter problems when you can't make a set. You can't roll back 10% and go again. You gotta wait another 9 months.

I bought cheap weights from tip shop. I got no stands, so for squats I am limited to what I can powerclean and front squat. I did start with a 2 metre section of 4" PVC pipe. Fill that with water or sand and do squats, thrusters, overhead squats, split squats. Ghetto cheap until you can save up for what you need. Everything else is just excuses.
Gymnasts do single leg squats, use weight vests and do deck squats and that gives them enough power to do amazing gynmastic feats, but you notice how their upper bodies and arms dominate their legs.

I love using my kids for weights. Linear progression max.
Encounter problems when you can't make a set. You can't roll back 10% and go again. You gotta wait another 9 months.

I bought cheap weights from tip shop. I got no stands, so for squats I am limited to what I can powerclean and front squat. I did start with a 2 metre section of 4" PVC pipe. Fill that with water or sand and do squats, thrusters, overhead squats, split squats. Ghetto cheap until you can save up for what you need. Everything else is just excuses.
Gymnasts do single leg squats, use weight vests and do deck squats and that gives them enough power to do amazing gynmastic feats, but you notice how their upper bodies and arms dominate their legs.

+1 for ghetto cheap. Also fill up a bag with sand and do sandbag training.

the old timers didn't have squat stands/racks, so they used to stand the bar on one end, get under the bar in the bottom squat position, get the bar across their shoulders then stand up and squat. I wouldn't mind trying this when i'm feeling game...

Damn, if you really want to train legs just get on eBay and buy some squat stands, I picked some up the other day for $21 for a set of squat stands, all they needed was a coat of paint to look pretty.

A mate of mine picked up a cheap power rack and bench and weights for $350 on Gumtree.

I bought a whole calf raise machine for $51 last week on eBay:)

So for $72 I got a set of squat stands and a calf raise machine.

The calf raise is not really needed, but for $51 I could not pass it up:)

Plus I use the leg attachment on my $120 bench.

Shop around and you will get what you need, if you can't afford the above stop wasting $$$ on rubbish, as even a school kid with a job at Maccas could afford it!

Shop around and you will get what you need, if you can't afford the above stop wasting $$$ on rubbish, as even a school kid with a job at Maccas could afford it!

Don't you know, all the kids have an after school job of stealing cars and selling drugs now-a-days