• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Legs at home

sari96

Banned
Ok I have been doing legs since I've been working out but only working them lightly. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do for legs, I don't have a squat rack but I do have a bench which I can do leg curls and leg extensions, set of dumbells which I can change the weight on and have a free weight barbell.

Hi Sari, welcome back. How was your holiday? lol

As I said to you when you first joined, there are "Sticky's" at the front of the forum, for every question you've ever asked!

Here's the link to the leg workouts.
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/16-bodybuilding-exercise-legs-hips-glutes.html

As I've also already suggested, start a training log and members will be more than happy to help you via your own thread, rather than you having to start a new thread, for every question you have?

Hey sari welcome back from your ban.

I recommend running on the spot or one of those aerobics trampolines, I've heard their great. Alternatively you could try squats and if too heavy to put behind the back front squats.

Good to see you posting again

Ok I have been doing legs since I've been working out but only working them lightly. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do for legs, I don't have a squat rack but I do have a bench which I can do leg curls and leg extensions, set of dumbells which I can change the weight on and have a free weight barbell.

Well you haven't really been working legs then.

You need to squat. Get a gym membership and squat until you save up enough for a power rack

Hi Sari, welcome back. How was your holiday? lol

As I said to you when you first joined, there are "Sticky's" at the front of the forum, for every question you've ever asked!

Here's the link to the leg workouts.
http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/16-bodybuilding-exercise-legs-hips-glutes.html

As I've also already suggested, start a training log and members will be more than happy to help you via your own thread, rather than you having to start a new thread, for every question you have?

As much as I am sure he is trolling he has as much right to ask a question as anyone else. Maybe he doesn't want to start a log, if you don't like his threads put him on ignore and don't answer in them.

Did you not readlike I told you during your stint on the sidelines? farrrk.:mad:

As much as I am sure he is trolling he has as much right to ask a question as anyone else. Maybe he doesn't want to start a log, if you don't like his threads put him on ignore and don't answer in them.

Yer haha I didn't even know y I got banned, I didn't even know what people meant by troll until I searched what it meant when I was on ban. :/

Okay, I think you're asking: "how can I up the intensity if I'm not prepared to buy a squat rack?" Would that be close enough?

You have many more tools of the trade than I initially thought you would. I first thought that you may only have you to contend with, and even then I was ready to make things harder on your legs.

So here goes.

Have you heard of static holds? Have you heard of the pre-exhaust principle? Is so, then you're set for some killer on fire leg workouts.

I need you to first pre-exhaust your legs (both quads and hammies) with some high but slow reps (say about 25 per set) of both leg extensions and leg curls. Do about 2 sets.

Workout A)
Barbell static squats (of course, done after the pre-exhaust blasting).
Do 5 sets of 10 and call it a day.

Workout B)
Dumbbell step ups on that bench that you have. If the bench is too high/thin and perhaps awkward, then something lower and sturdier would be better as well as safer.

Again, I would do 5 x10 to begin with.

Please note, the pre-exhaustion is done on both occasions, since I'm presuming that you don't have enough weights, or if you do for the bar, that you may not be able to power clean it before squatting with it.

Of course there are more exercises such as the walking lunges etc., but we’ll leave that for a later stage.

I'll leave it here for now. If you've got any questions, please feel free to ask. All the best.

Fadi.

Last edited:

Great Advice Brick.

Less bullshit conversation + more action = results.

But hey, that's just my opinion - and I'm entitled to that too :)

Great Advice Brick.

Less bullshit conversation + more action = results.

But hey, that's just my opinion - and I'm entitled to that too :)

Your entitled to your opinion after all it is an open forum. I guess what sorta gets me wound up is Fadis post was very interesting and this thread was untimately going to lead to a thread about training legs which interests me. If the op took your advice and started a training log we wouldn't get to share our thoughts on leg training.

Personally and this is my opinion only I think training logs should be just for logging training and feedback relating to training. He asked a bb question in the bb forum. It was a valid question.

Fadi,
Sari is a troll, Brick has no manners.
Now you're up too speed.

I am offended by this if I put more smiley faces in my posts ;) will that make me less rude.

And before it comes up I realise my response to the op was loaded with sarcasm but once the thread got going i intended to suggest he build some boxes or steal some empty kegs or milk crates to setup as ghetto squat stands.

A little while ago I had a time where I had no weights just a frame to do some pullups and chinups and some bars to do dips.

Working the whole body, I did x amount of pullups, chinups, dips, pushups. For legs, I would do, 20 bodyweight squats *The whole way down just as if you had a barbell on your back* followed by 20 lunges with both legs as 1 set. did that 3 times and did 3 sets of 20 bodyweight calf raises on a small platform on the ground.

From these 3 exercises I was worked hard by the end of my sets and felt a great pump also, woke up in the morning and legs were sore as hell.

For you I would consider doing something as simple as that and seeing how you feel afterwards, if its too easy, add some weight, you say you have a barbell and a bench with leg curls, throw in some hamstring curls or quad extensions with that as well as some front squats as callan said and you will have a solid leg workout. Or you can use a couple of these and incorporate it into a full body routine. its up to you

Never rule out bodyweight, its tough and works just as well as any dumbbell, machine or barbell if you want to get stronger and put on some muscle, what sounds stronger to you, bicep curling 20kg or pulling up your own bodyweight which i'm sure is more than 20kg.

Never rule out bodyweight, its tough and works just as well as any dumbbell, machine or barbell if you want to get stronger and put on some muscle,

It doesn't.

Seriously if someone doesn't have a proper home gym set up stop wasting time with crappy workouts and go to a gym like most other people.

It doesn't.

Seriously if someone doesn't have a proper home gym set up stop wasting time with crappy workouts and go to a gym like most other people.

The topic is legs at home. Otherwise Sari's workout routine would be broadened if he had access to a gym.