• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ketonic Diets

MFP had me at 3430 yesterday. I'm consistent with the diet right throughout the week.
I also have a very sedentry job and a normal diet at 2500 was helping me gain weight at 40/40/20. With this I had an initial drop in weight but hasnt budged for a couple of weeks. Previosuly I have had to drop to nearly 2000cals to drop any weight but felt like crap.

I hold onto fat very well unfortunately.

Alright, start adding a teaspoon of salt to your meals for sure.
I find stewing and soups ideal for keto because all the nutrients go into the broth- which you then drink.

I'd wave your calories a little, it will help with the energy levels. Recently I've found, for me, the following rotation works well:

Medium fat
High fat
Low fat
High fat
Medium fat
Low fat
High carb, low fat

Cycling foods makes this easy, low fat is chicken without skin, lean beef, kangaroo etc- aim for 1000-1500kcal
Medium fat maybe 2000-2500kcal, drumsticks, turkey mince, trimmed beef
High fat maybe 3000-3500kcal, wings, chops, ribs etc
Carb day just go nuts, let hunger dictate it just don't do stupid shit like 2L of ice cream. If you find yourself going overboard here, simply remove sugars

This averages around 2,500kcal for the week. Energy levels will be up and down but you'll find on the high carb day you're tired but then you eat carbs and this is taken into eating more food on the medium then high fat days, you'll be energetic on the low fat day but then after the massive cut in calories you get to eat plenty again the day after then energy will go down but before you know it it's carb day again!

Alright, start adding a teaspoon of salt to your meals for sure.
I find stewing and soups ideal for keto because all the nutrients go into the broth- which you then drink.

I'd wave your calories a little, it will help with the energy levels. Recently I've found, for me, the following rotation works well:

Medium fat
High fat
Low fat
High fat
Medium fat
Low fat
High carb, low fat

Cycling foods makes this easy, low fat is chicken without skin, lean beef, kangaroo etc- aim for 1000-1500kcal
Medium fat maybe 2000-2500kcal, drumsticks, turkey mince, trimmed beef
High fat maybe 3000-3500kcal, wings, chops, ribs etc
Carb day just go nuts, let hunger dictate it just don't do stupid shit like 2L of ice cream. If you find yourself going overboard here, simply remove sugars

This averages around 2,500kcal for the week. Energy levels will be up and down but you'll find on the high carb day you're tired but then you eat carbs and this is taken into eating more food on the medium then high fat days, you'll be energetic on the low fat day but then after the massive cut in calories you get to eat plenty again the day after then energy will go down but before you know it it's carb day again!

Cheers Oni, I'll look into it. I admit I've been eating more lean meat and Ilike the idea of chops, ribs and chicken wings.

I've probably overlooked a very simple thing is that I've not been drinking enough water as well. Will make sure I fill up on the h20 and see how that goes as well.

Cheers Oni, I'll look into it. I admit I've been eating more lean meat and Ilike the idea of chops, ribs and chicken wings.

I've probably overlooked a very simple thing is that I've not been drinking enough water as well. Will make sure I fill up on the h20 and see how that goes as well.

Yea mate make sure you get in at least 2-3L a day....

2 weeks in and im visibly leaner, have dropped another 10g of carbs from my diet before sundays refeed.

Thats when you will get best results due too the loss of retained water, at some point you will stall but u keep chippin away

The stall will be a very long time for you Liam. But like a pilot flying through a storm you just need to stick to the path and hit the gas harder.

For me it was at my current level of body fat lol. Just stalled at 9/10% for a good month and a half. Only option is to diet and train even harder. Taking a small break also helps apparently and 2 weeks of 4,000kcal a day has me looking a little wetter but no real fat gain. I'm also full as fuck, 3 dimensional

Once i start to stall i will start to watch calories a bit harder, at the moment i would be around 2500-3000 per day. Have cut out 2 of my three coffees per day, that + 125g of nuts was giving me 30g of carbs + a big serve of vegies would put me at 35-40, hoping to now be under 30.

I am under no impression that this is mostly water + muscle glycogen, and i don't plan on losing weight too quickly. I have to compete in feb in equipment, hopefully it doesn't make my gear too loose :p

The stall will be a very long time for you Liam. But like a pilot flying through a storm you just need to stick to the path and hit the gas harder.

For me it was at my current level of body fat lol. Just stalled at 9/10% for a good month and a half. Only option is to diet and train even harder. Taking a small break also helps apparently and 2 weeks of 4,000kcal a day has me looking a little wetter but no real fat gain. I'm also full as fuck, 3 dimensional

So just go an enjoy my Christmas break and start again January?

So just go an enjoy my Christmas break and start again January?

For me I was eating an average of 2500 and stalled.
I increase calories to 2700 last week then 4-5000 this week but kept it keto. This is leading up to a meet so it tied in well.
Then I'll drop right down to 1000-1500kcal and not cheat until Christmas when I will eat whatever, it's Christmas and I am with family and the refeed will kick up my metabolic rate again, it's just a day. That is a Wednesday so my next cheat will be on the 5th of January as I like to cheat at my parents house with Sunday dinner. By then hopefully I'll be very lean and can increase calories again. I truly hope that is long enough lol.

1st Jan is meet prep so I'll be adding in 2 higher calorie days, Wednesday and Friday probably at 2500kcal then after then it really depends on my physique but the week of the meet will have to be some serious eating

Just to follow up, do not change paths. The pilot analogy is good here. Just hit the gas harder. Raise cals if you're truly stuck but stick to the diet then take them back down again.

You get in the habit of dropping calories, metabolic rate drops as well. You can "feel" your metabolism quite well. Body temperature is good here. If I am vascular then I know it's good but when I lose that I know my metabolism is dropping and spice my food extra, or take some ephedrine, or whatever

Going to cut out my daily nuts until carb nite, giving me about 15g of carbs per day, will be replacing this with steak. Will be interesting to see how i feel up until Sunday night.

Yeah I'm warm when I'm working and its 40C + outside and I'm not warm when its below 10C.

You are not feeling shit. You are imagining it.

You can't feel when you're warm? Use your noggin

Definitely agree with this, when I was following 'Carb Nite' for a short time earlier this year I could definitely feel my metabolism, kick it up a gear on carb nite.

Was a strange sensation. Will be hitting it up again in January. even now can feel the heat when having a carb rich night, and I am not really restricting or counting carbs at the moment.