• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Keto dieting and amino acids?

Matt

I'm currently getting ready to start a keto diet, but after reading Lyle McDonald's "The Ketogenic Diet" I still have a few questions regarding protein & amino acid breakdown.

I know that Glutamine can be broken down into glucose if the body needs it, but how much glucose can it yield? (Approximate per 100g.) I find it really helpful towards speeding up my recovery and reducing soreness n would love to be able to factor it in my diet so I can continue to reap it's benefits.

Also, can BCAAs be broken down into glucose at all? I see them as a potentially great way to help continue to build muscle on a calorie deficient keto diet, provided no catabolism to glucose occurs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or point me in the direction of some good articles to read :)

I'm currently getting ready to start a keto diet, but after reading Lyle McDonald's "The Ketogenic Diet" I still have a few questions regarding protein & amino acid breakdown.

I know that Glutamine can be broken down into glucose if the body needs it, but how much glucose can it yield? (Approximate per 100g.) I find it really helpful towards speeding up my recovery and reducing soreness n would love to be able to factor it in my diet so I can continue to reap it's benefits.

Also, can BCAAs be broken down into glucose at all? I see them as a potentially great way to help continue to build muscle on a calorie deficient keto diet, provided no catabolism to glucose occurs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help or point me in the direction of some good articles to read :)

Dude...

Glutamine as a supplement is highly questionable in terms of its efficacy... Don't worry about it.. .Same goes for your amino acids....

Keto is high protein... You'll be eating more then enough...

More importantly read Lyle Mcdonalds Ulitimate Diet 2.0... Its free if you troll around the net... Might answer your question in more detail...

EDIT: If anything I reccomend taking fish oil and a multi vitamin... I would definitely use a multi vitamin if I did it again...

And yes I got stronger while losing 10kgs of weight doing Keto...

it's not really high protein; going much over 0.9g per lb body weight can throw you out of ketosis due to protein being broken down into glucose at around 35% (from memory, could be higher).
i will be taking flaxseed oil, a multi and fiber, but as i said i can actually feel a difference in my own recovery when i take glutamine so i would like to continue to do so.
and i've never heard anyone say bcaas are a waste of time/money before...
thanks for your input all the same :)

it's not really high protein; going much over 0.9g per lb body weight can throw you out of ketosis due to protein being broken down into glucose at around 35% (from memory, could be higher).
i will be taking flaxseed oil, a multi and fiber, but as i said i can actually feel a difference in my own recovery when i take glutamine so i would like to continue to do so.
and i've never heard anyone say bcaas are a waste of time/money before...
thanks for your input all the same :)

I ate 400 grams of Protein a day... And I was deep in Ketosis...

Some like to do an induction at 30 grams carbs for the first 2 weeks... Once your in as long as your carb intake is under 100 grams you'll stay in ketosis... I hung around 70carbs a day...

But if thats what lyle says then he is the man on all things Keto...

I have seen no evidence to support glutamine or BCAA supplementation as being beneficial (With the exception of highly questionable evidence from organisations like supplement companys who make a lot of money peddling these products)

More likely a placebo effect....

Each to there own though... If it makes you happy... Then do it.....

BCAA supplementation is only useful when your diet is lacking in them. So if you are eating right you will not need them.