• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Issues with Protein Powder

A

ap355

Hi everyone,
I've been using Aussie Bodies Perfect Protein (WPC) for years with no issues & great results.Over the last year this protein has been giving me mild gastrointestinal problems but as of the past few weeks I have no idea what has happened but this powder is really making me ill.Nausea,heartburn,cramps & constant trips to the toilet.I did a little research on line & found out that WPC contains a protein called beta – lactoglobulin & that this has been known to give people issues. A way around this is to consume WPI instead.
I was thinking about changing to WPI protein to see if this would stop my issues but Aussie Bodies no longer makes WPI.. They now have some sort of blend of WPC & WPI.....
I was thinking about trying Max’s WPI but was told by a guy at the local health food store that this contains an artificial sweetener called Aspartame & that this sweetener is covered in controversy & that I should avoid this particular brand of WPI.
So what the hell should I use ??? I am really confused here & would really appreciate some feedback.I have been of the powder all week,I have not been sick once but I can only eat so much protein,I desperately need a shake to supplement my diet..
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.

Hi everyone,
I've been using Aussie Bodies Perfect Protein (WPC) for years with no issues & great results.Over the last year this protein has been giving me mild gastrointestinal problems but as of the past few weeks I have no idea what has happened but this powder is really making me ill.Nausea,heartburn,cramps & constant trips to the toilet.I did a little research on line & found out that WPC contains a protein called beta – lactoglobulin & that this has been known to give people issues. A way around this is to consume WPI instead.
I was thinking about changing to WPI protein to see if this would stop my issues but Aussie Bodies no longer makes WPI.. They now have some sort of blend of WPC & WPI.....
I was thinking about trying Max’s WPI but was told by a guy at the local health food store that this contains an artificial sweetener called Aspartame & that this sweetener is covered in controversy & that I should avoid this particular brand of WPI.
So what the hell should I use ??? I am really confused here & would really appreciate some feedback.I have been of the powder all week,I have not been sick once but I can only eat so much protein,I desperately need a shake to supplement my diet..
Thank you.

i assume you mean max's bioengineered wpi?

ive tried it and i found it to be a solid protein.

there is an article on here about aspartame, its not as bad as once thought.

End of story! :)

Please do yourself a favour and compare the prices (especially compared to Max'$).

Best of luck, hope the WPI sorts things out!

Also, if you're worried about buying heaps and WPI still causing problems contact them for a sample (Fitness Central and Bulk Nutrients should help).
I'd assume if you told them you're from ausbb and the reason you want it they would send you one...if they dont then I have a strawberry WPI sample from bulk nutrients I will send you for $0 (unless its the one I had this morning and I only have a WPC left...).

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The 1 thing that really stands out with the above mentioned protein powders is the price.Some of them are less than 1/2 the price of what I am paying now.This has me wondering, do they still contain all the essential & non essential amino acids,vitamins & other immune boosting properties that are contained in the pricey Aussie Bodies & Max’s products? I am a firm believer in ‘you pay for what you get.’ I really don't care about price,I just want quality.

I had a look at the mix & match product & there are only 3 essential amino acids listed. Aussie Bodies & Max’s protein products have a list of essential & non essential amino acids that are longer than my arm,not to mention all the vitamins they contain as well.
Maybe I am speaking out of ignorance but these products appear to be inferior to the products I have used in the past. Not trying to start an argument, if I am wrong please educate me. As i said in my introduction, nutrition & supplements are my weak points.
Cheers

They are listing the BCAA's (which there are only three) not EAA. I doubt these protein have some of the added vitamins and minerals, yet you can buy a multi and get a better dose and still come out 20 bucks cheaper than aussie bodies or maxs.

Also have you developed a lactose intolerance? Talk with your GP about it and see.

Hi everyone,
Thank you.

so sorry to be the one to rain on the parade but due to consumer pressure relating to price, manufacturers are forced to make products cheaper and cheaper. most products available are simply 40 - 60% skim milk powder mixed with a single amino acid so it actually tests under a mass spectromitor as containing aminos (protein). hence all the stomache bloats, gas and runs. So many more people these days are learning of sensativities to milk sugars (lactose). Or raw ingredients are purchased from cheap overseas manufacturers such as china or africa. think about the basics of that. all whey comes from dairy right. so if you start off with starving, sick, dehyrated cows what do you think the end result will be.

I have been using WPI and WPC from proffesionalwhey and found it to be of an extremely good product. Their pricing is some of the cheapest around and all the whey is sourced from either TAS or NZ (buy local). The only downfall some people may pecieve is the fact that it is unflavoured, but we don't do it for the taste do we?

Can I start by saying I think what has happened here is that the extra money you are spending on Max's etc has been put to good use by them on their marketing to draw you in and stop you saving some cash.
These bulk products are not fancy, they are exactly what you ordered! No fancy labels or packaging to pay extra for, no marketing hype or illusions of superiority to pay for either (I find the max's labels embarassing...).

Does this link help at all?
Bulk Nutrients
Read the blurb at the top, not just the ingredient list.
Hoepfully it will address your concerns :)

In the above example you are buying WPI. That's all.
None of the market hype ingredients of the week or miniscule amounts of proven ingredients just so they can be on the ingredient list.

Quality is the reason I DONT buy the mainstream stuff anymore.
Max's tastes AWESOME...but if I wanted an awesome tasting drink I'd just have a milo.

Hope that helps...I can't get any more detailed then giving you a link and my opinion unfortunately. If that isn't enough cross your fingers that someone like Fadi stops by with a million links and big words to stop you worrying and save you some cash! :)

I checked this morning and I still have a strawberry WPI sample available if you can't get one from fitness central or bulk nutrients too.

Hi there Al,

You wrote in your original post:
I did a little research on line & found out that WPC contains a protein called beta – Lactoglobulin & that this has been known to give people issues. A way around this is to consume WPI instead.
I'm here to tell you that the above is not true because the facts show a different picture.

1. Tasmanian whey powder has the following (amongst other compounds of course): WPC 36.4% Beta-Lactoglobulin, 10.2% Alpha-lactalbumin,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-lactalbumin

2. WPI 43.8% Beta-Lactoglobulin, 15.2% Alpha-lactalbumin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-lactoglobulin

Can you see now how it's not the Beta-Lactoglobulin that is to blame here, since there's more of it in WPI than there is in the WPC.

As always, first thing's first.

1. You say in your introduction post (I checked) that you have a hard time eating. We would like to know why please.

2. If you choose to go down the supplement path with protein powder, we need to know if you are lactose intolerant or not. If not, then it should be WPC all the way since it's less processed and does provide more immune boosting properties thanks to the few grams of fat that it still has.

3. Having found out that you're not intolerant to milk sugar, we now need to find ourselves a reputable and honest supplier of either Australian and /or New Zealand whey protein powder. Bulk Nutrients (Ben) is one as Stralian has advised you, and the other one who deals in Aussie and Kiwi powder is mix'n'match whey protein isolate wpi (Marcus). PROTEINDIRECT - Products (Julian) actually tells you that his protein powder is from the US (not for me).

I’d give Marcus from Fitness Central a buzz and would order Oatmuscle whilst you’re at it. I found that Oatmass/Oatmuscle makes whatever it is mixed with not only less troublesome (if there was to be some gastro issue), but it also renders the mix much more delicious with a taste of nougat.

Having said the above, the main issue I see here is dicussing the reason you’re having problems eating (enough). Tell me more please. Thank you and all the best Al.

Fadi.

Last edited:
FAdi...most of the WPI from protein direct is now sourced from New Zealand, must be a recent thing.

I did tell Julian (on another forum) that I would not buy the American powder and why. I'm glad things are moving in the right direction.

Thank you for the info Mick.

Fadi.

Hi there Al,

You wrote in your original post:
I'm here to tell you that the above is not true because the facts show a different picture.

1. Tasmanian whey powder has the following (amongst other compounds of course): WPC 36.4% Beta-Lactoglobulin, 10.2% Alpha-lactalbumin,

2. WPI 43.8% Beta-Lactoglobulin, 15.2% Alpha-lactalbumin

Can you see now how it's not the Beta-Lactoglobulin that is to blame here, since there's more of it in WPI than there is in the WPC.

As always, first thing's first.

1. You say in your introduction post (I checked) that you have a hard time eating. We would like to know why please.

2. If you choose to go down the supplement path with protein powder, we need to know if you are lactose intolerant or not. If not, then it should be WPC all the way since it's less processed and does provide more immune boosting properties thanks to the few grams of fat that it still has.

Having said the above, the main issue I see here is dicussing the reason you’re having problems eating (enough). Tell me more please. Thank you and all the best Al.

Fadi.

Thanks for the response Fadi,very informative.

I’ve never really been a big eater.To make matters worse,
I’ve been suffering from gastroesophageal reflux for over 10 years.Sometimes I have no problems with reflux/acidity while other times it really affects my lifestyle.Some things are certain:Stress,anxiety & OVER EATING are triggers for this “disease.”

The more food I eat the worse my condition gets,I have to keep my food portions small & plain.Medications help manage the problem but force feeding myself just makes the overall situation worse hence the reason why I turned to shakes.It’s easier to drink than it is to eat.Don’t get me wrong,I still eat but I need the shakes to make up for the fact that my body will only consume so much solid food without upsetting my condition.

Many years ago,a gastroenterologist told me that I was lactose & sucrose intolerant & that’s why I was having GI problems.He said my intolerance was the root problem.He told me to completely cut out dairy products & fruit.I started drinking soy milk & cut out all dairy products & fruit.However, my problems of acidity & reflux persisted.Not only that,his stupid advice on completely cutting out dairy products & fruit lead to other health problems. I started eating dairy products & fruits again.Some days I would have problems,some days I wouldn’t.

I don’t think I am lactose intolerant because I can drink milk & eat ice cream without having problems.However,
most people with lactose intolerance can consume 8-10 grams of lactose a day without symptoms. That is roughly the amount in a small glass of milk (200ml)

The plot thickens.Last week I saw another doc who claims that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.He thinks the recent issues I‘ve had are a result of IBS not protein shakes.He has given me a bunch of pills & herbs to help me but I haven’t taken them.I find his diagnosis hard to believe because I stopped the WPC last Sunday & I haven’t had a problem since then.Maybe it’s just a coincidence,maybe 5 days isn’t long enough to determine whether the shakes are the cause of me being sick but I am trying to find a solution.Hopefully I haven’t bored u but u did ask why I don’t eat & If I am lactose intolerant.

I have a link that talks about
Beta-Lactoglobulin not being present in WPI but the forum wont let me post it because I don't have 15 posts.

Also have another thread discussing lactose intolerance & Beta – Lactoglobulin intolerance.
but can't post an url to that either.

I haven’t tried WPI yet so I don’t know if I will have issues with it or not. Note: Some WPI’s like Redback actually contain lactose.

Al, three things:

1. How old/young are you?
2. Have you considered taking MSM?
3. Have you considered taking digestive enzymes?

Very soon (God willing) I'll be writing an atricle on digestive enzymes for the benefit of all on here.

PS: I'm lactose intolerant (now).

Fadi.

I am 30.
MSM ?
I have never taken Digestive enzymes.
Fadi, I was just reading up on this mix n match WPI & it says, “has almost no fat or lactose/carbs” So much for WPI not containing Lactose. This product is too cheap to be true anyway.

I am 30.
MSM ?
So much for WPI not containing Lactose. This product is too cheap to be true anyway.

Mate read the ingredients list of the perfect bodies stuff and any of the 3 I listed.

They are cheaper yes, because they are nearly 100% pure whey concentrate or isolate, My WPI is 87+% protein, or 33.4g, per 38g of powder..some have even more.

The stuff you mentioned is diluted with carbs 25% !!! and other added fillers.. and it is maybe $25 more expensive than say the protein direct WPI ( $35+ more for the WPC), the body dodge stuff, It only contains 41% protein or 26g per 60g powder!!!, you are paying your $25 extra for less protein and a crap load of sugar thats worth maybe a few bucks..

You need to compare the products equally.

We posted those links as buying your protein pure and adding carbs as you need them in relation to your workout is much cheaper, it also allows you to customise contents, for pre or post or as a meal replacement, also an unflavoured protein lets you add th eflavour you want with fruit, or what ever flavour you feel like at the time.

ingredients:
http://proteindirect.com.au/products_nz_wpi.html

http://bestbuysupplements.com.au/product1063.html

Last edited:
I am not saying that mix n match is bad,I am not here to argue with anyone.Truth be told,I am so friggin confused as to what to buy it’s not funny.Everyone has an opinion; there are so many different brands all claiming to be the best.One brand accuses the other of lying & producing poor protein...Now this lactose b.s..... Artificial flavours & sweeteners...... My damn health issues have me too scared to drink any bloody supplement anymore. I just don’t want to go through the hell of being physically sick again & not being able to eat for days. I have lost 12kg in the last few weeks alone & it shows. I didn’t touch any WPC last week & I didn’t get sick once. My health issues are caused by WPC & the only thing in WPC that could be making me sick is the lactose. WPI contains lactose as well so what’s the point of me buying that crap instead of WPC?
There’s really no point in training if I am not going to consume the appropriate amount of protein & I am really thinking about quitting the sport that was once a religion to me.
Sorry for the rant but I have really had enough.Thanks for all your input & take care guys.

I've been using International Protein Synergy 5 (company based on the Gold Coast) with great results. Have you tried other Powders out of interest? I used Aussie Bodies for a little while, and once I tried a new one, I realized how much Aussie Bodies sucks, it tastes horrible compared to alot of others out there. Just my opinion, but ON and IP are my two favourites at the moment.

ap355

we dont want to argue with anyone, we are here to help. As shrek pointed out eat real food it takes longer but its worked for billions before!.

Wpi has a lot less lactose (almost none) than wpc so the effects will be a lot milder if you get any..

I would get a sample and see how that goes..

IF this is truely a pasionate endevour than please read heaps, learn and make informed choices, sometime you need to experiment a little to find a balance that is suitable for your requirements..

No one wants to divert you from your passion, soldier on buddy you will find a way if your truely want it.