• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is using machines regarded as lifting?

Is the use of machines regarded as "Lifting"?

• Total voters
Here's a newb's take:

- Machines are not "lifting".
- "Lifting" is a person acting directly upon a free weight. Anything involving cables and pulleys, or mechanical levers or what have you aren't what I'd call "weightlifting" or "lifting".
- There's no legit superiority of lifting free weights over machines; there are people who train effectively and people who don't. Perhaps more of the former are attracted to free weights and more of the latter to machines but it comes down to the person training; pure and simple, and I suspect that there's a lot of value in certain machine exercises (but I dunno, I'm just a newbie).

If I go to the gym I will not say "Hey I am just going to go do some lifting of barbells and db's and then do some resistance training on the machines"

I'll just say I'm going to the gym or Im going lifting....

Machines, free weights etc etc all the same shit

Technically it's lifting, if you attach a cable and some pulleys to a heavy object to get it off the ground than you have lifted it, but same as riding a bike with training wheels :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer free weights over machines,

however some machines are good.

lat pulldown
seated row
leg press
lying leg curl

That's about it.

With machines you are lifting a weight stack (with or without a mechanical advantage via pulleys).

With leverage equipment you are lifting plates.

With a barbell you are lifting plates.

Are pull ups lifting?

It's all lifting. Machines are embarrassing? How fkn insecure are some folks? They are a tool to be utilised to achieve a goal; I wish I had room for some machines in my garage set up.