• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is using machines regarded as lifting?

Is the use of machines regarded as "Lifting"?

• Total voters
Is using machines regarded as lifting? Yes/No

Why?

Hi Karen,

If you mean does it overload your muscles, then the answer is yes most definitely it's lifting. In fact, there are certain times when I find it even better due to the constant overload it places on the muscle. Take for example one of my favourite triceps exercises. It's done using a cable machine and it's called overhead cable triceps (forward) extensions. The whole movement's tension is fully controlled and smooth, alleviating stress over the joints. You can even apply static holds here, further increasing the intensity on the triceps.

JLCblPushStFin.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Why does barbell training need to be called lifting?
It's all resistance training, you're moving weights against a resistance (gravity)
They're just different tools

correct.

i'm not really sure I understand the OP though.

Does it matter if you call it lifting or not?

All the good moves are good moves, regardless of what you call them.

correct.

i'm not really sure I understand the OP though.

Does it matter if you call it lifting or not?

All the good moves are good moves, regardless of what you call them.

I think it matters little what you call it.

I guess you could call it 'weight training' or 'resistance training', a lot tend to call it 'body building', but I believe you are not a body builder unless you intend to, or you have, stepped on stage in your speedos, while painted orange.

Your not a Power lifter unless you compete.

So where does that leave me??

Just a bloke 'lifting' some weights in his back yard after work:)

Does of matter what it is called, regardless if you use machines or free weights don't you use them to achieve a goal, you don't do it coz it is cool to "lift" weights or do "resistance" training or whatever

Weight lifters "lift" weights.
BBers train muscles, which includes lifting weights and resistance machines.

lifting weights, as a phrase, includes using machines for resistance training.
unless there is some elastic involved, there's usually a weight somewhere being lifted (ie, weight stack), even if it is by levers and cables

what if a weightlifter uses a machine? are they then a weightmover?