• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

is steaming vegetable better than boiling?

kindred

I make a lot of soup these days and have read that boiling some vegetables like brocolli decimate their nutritional value.

Should i be steaming them instead? I dont want them raw as i prefer cooked i do want them as packed with nutrients as possible.

Raw FTW lol. All of my veggies except potatoes and pumkin are raw.

I was watching a doco, and if I recall correctly they stated that even a light steam can kill up to 90% of the enzymes in your veggies.....
If you buy them from a supermarket though, their wouldnt be that many nutrients in them to start with anyway :D.

im guessing if you boil them and use that same water for the soup then all the nutrients would still be in there?

Raw is always better, the more I've read over the years the more I understand how raw food is beneficial.
A bit difficult to have raw veg in soup though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah i like the idea of eating raw but i dont have the money or the time to be going to the fruit and veg store every couple of days.

On a similar note do you think its safe to eat frozen vegetables thawed in the fridge. what i mean is get a 1kg bag of peas stick it in the fridge in a day or 2 when thawed open it up and chow down??? If this is possible then i found my new diet frozen veg ala fridge lol.

I like eating frozen vegies frozen kindred its like a ice cream well vege ice block hahah..
I eat everything raw .... raw veg, raw steak, raw kanga roo mmmmmmmm steak tartar is actually one of my fave dishes... nothing beats a bit of quality raw beef chopped up finely with a nice raw egg over the top mmmmmmm

well anyway i have decided to thaw out a 500g pack of mixed veg and try it out. if i die I want my last words to be remember as this "****! why did i do that!"

No frozen vegies are not the same, i explained it in the soup thread it changes the structure ofthe fibres. Remember when you freeze water ot expands the same thing happens with foods and their water content...

It isnt so much about macro or micronutrients.. It is about phytochemicals and enzymes that are effected by heat.. Enzymes are peptides and heat denatures them...
Posted via Mobile Device

have read that boiling some vegetables like brocolli decimate their nutritional value.

Should i be steaming them instead? I dont want them raw as i prefer cooked i do want them as packed with nutrients as possible.
It's not really an option when it comes to broccoli since this vegetable belongs to the cruciferous vegetables which contain thyroid inhibitors known as goitrogens. These inhibitors are destroyed when heated though, so steaming as you've suggested would be your best option since the water remains locked within.

List of Cruciferous Vegetables

• bok choy
  • broccoflower
  • broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
  • collard greens
  • horseradish
  • kale
  • radish
  • rutabaga
  • spinach
  • turnip root/greens
  • watercress.
Here's a copy and paste I found for you...

Cruciferous vegetables contain goitrogens, a compound that interferes with thyroid function. Those with a thyroid condition should limit these vegetables. Cooking these vegetables for 30 minutes can greatly reduce the amount of goitrogens (it can also reduce important nutrients).​

Very high intakes of cruciferous vegetables have been shown to cause hypothyroidism in animals.[1] In one human study, eating 5 ounces of cooked Brussels sprouts for 4 weeks did not have any adverse effects on thyroid function.[2]​

References
[1] Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 1983;18(2):123-201
[2] Hum Toxicol. 1986;5(1):15-19

I hope that helps Kindred.

Fadi.

Last edited:
im not doing that again. Ill stick to the soup. I guess ill work in more raw vegetables by buying them from wollies before work or something.

Have you tried stews Kindred? Pretty simple to make and quite tasty much like a soup but with lots of meat and veggies.

It's not really an option when it comes to broccoli since this vegetable belongs to the cruciferous vegetables which contain thyroid inhibitors known as goitrogens. These inhibitors are destroyed when heated though, so steaming as you've suggested would be your best option since the water remains locked within.

List of Cruciferous Vegetables

• bok choy
  • broccoflower
  • broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • cabbage
  • cauliflower
  • collard greens
  • horseradish
  • kale
  • radish
  • rutabaga
  • spinach
  • turnip root/greens
  • watercress.
I hope that helps Kindred.

Fadi.

I think so. As i just stated tho i will so a combo of cooked food and raw from the supermarket before work.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I meant you guys are getting way too picky about small details such as boiled vs steamed vegetables. I mean what the hell, seriously.

The man had a question...... Thats what the forum is for. We have now lernt - thanks to Fadi - that steaming your broccoli is much better for you than boiling it.

Fadi, I guess that means I should scrap jucing broccoli?