• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Interesting article

Longevity in training with decent weights will always have the loudest voice.

Silverback is as switched on as anyone here, listen to him.

Yes people can train longer more often.........when they're young. Silverback and I are approaching 50. Do you think we could continue to train like Max and progress lol

My original Skinny guy routine was to be done just twice a week. Anyone on here keep up with Shorty?

Liam, there are those that can progress well with 2 a day sessions. A small 1% of the lifting population. The majority will progress best with 2-3 a week sessions.

Everyones goal should be to be lifting respectable weights when theyre 50.

Listen to Silverback

lkt004, don't pick apart people's posts like that. A forum is a conversation, not an exchange of formal university essays. Try to understand what people are saying, not win little debating points. Don't be a cocksmock.

Wow, the whole point of my post was pointing out that that statement was incorrect. No nitpicking, nothing. Just pointing out a fact.

Internet chat forums allways end up with someone being offended, or teh message not getting conveyed correctly...

Personally I like a training routine that changes with time or as ones goals change. It also helps to keep it from becoming boring.

As for split routines not enabling someone to put of lean muscle mass, rubbish I added 6kg doing splits and next to NO legs, eating average, sleeping average, BUT it took me years to do..Once I started full bodyish routines, with compounds and squats etc, I added 7kg in less than 12 months, and have gotten a lot stronger all over, not just in a few muscle groups.

As for the over training debate it is relative to your recovery, If I was to train more than 3-4 times a week i am shattered, but i get hardley any decent sleep, and food intake could be better.. Olympic lifters at the AIS etc sure they train lots, but there life is controled, food intake is massive, and I am sure they get there 8 hours a night. FADI could elaborate on this further, but from what i have read about his training and food intake It was insane.

I've been lifting consistantly for twenty five years, before that also but off and on.
Everyones perspective is different along with circumstance.
I faced with situation in my thirties, do I train or not, I was a single parent, two very young girls now in their twenties.
I had to find a way to train, I was fortunate to discover that if I could train very hard on a limited number of basic multi joint exercises did one or two sets of each movement using as much weight as I possibly could for 8-20 rep's per set, I would usually terminate a set when I could no longer push out another complete or correctly performed rep, even on squats I could a how've my goal.
I trained three times a week( Average workout was 30 minutes) but often had to cut back to two when very tired orinvolved in other activities.
I became very strong and gained about 25kg in a two year period, much of that coming in the first six months of proper training.
My best lifts were 5x5 deadlifting 200kg squatting was always a challenge for me but managed a best of 5x5 130kg followed by 20x100kg bw 85kg.
I started traing at a bw of 77kg which I believe is the average male weight.
Dipped, 12x25Kg plus bw, plus other sets and negatives, chinned 20, and so-on.
I have kept detailed logs at drapers site.
50 next year I still train as hard as the day I started, a lot of people cnfuse me for a thirty year old, I don't lift as much as I used to but I give alot of younger people a run for their money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
There is no substitute for knowledge is taught widsom is gained via perosnal experience...

There is no substitute.

Looking back it's not just the weight you push, the by-products of lifting keep me coming back, as I've aged my goals have become clearer.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love this.
Success comes from good judgment, good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.

I still know little, I still keep learning.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice deadlifts there silverback, but it still doesnt change my opinion on your statement, this has gotten way out of hand.

Nice deadlifts there silverback, but it still doesnt change my opinion on your statement, this has gotten way out of hand.

Ikt004, forget about it and move on, it all works and of course we are all different in many ways, the important thing is to enjoy what you do and maintain a tranquil mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Theres only one thing that can fix this situation..

big-boobs.jpg

As for the over training debate it is relative to your recovery, If I was to train more than 3-4 times a week i am shattered, but i get hardley any decent sleep, and food intake could be better.. Olympic lifters at the AIS etc sure they train lots, but there life is controled, food intake is massive, and I am sure they get there 8 hours a night. FADI could elaborate on this further, but from what i have read about his training and food intake It was insane.

I'd rather think under-recovering than over-training. Under-recovering has nothing to do with a particular program and all to do with an athlete's bad judgments. An example would be of an athlete staying late at night feeding his ego when he knows he's got a training session the following morning. Another athlete who is in the same boat, is wise enough to judge the situation he's in and goes to bad to give his body the rest it needs. The following morning these two athletes train on the same program, but one make the weights look so damn heavy, whilst the other makes it look easy; do you know who under-recovered?

I based the above on true occurrences which took place at the AIS; I was one of the above mentioned athletes.

Fadi.

i think it also depends on what intensity you are training at. many of the olympic lifters sessions are at 70-80% where as most of your(trofius) workouts are pushing 90-95% and your going to very close to failure. the olympic lifter would never go to complete muscle failure.

i think it also depends on what intensity you are training at. many of the olympic lifters sessions are at 70-80% where as most of your(trofius) workouts are pushing 90-95% and your going to very close to failure. the olympic lifter would never go to complete muscle failure.

Good pick up Haz, intensity of work is a big factor, something that of course that is subjective.
Results being the only tangible thing here.

Someone pushing every set in a fullbody body workout to complete fatigue and moving to the next exercise with no rest can could only do this for a short duration, say no more than 30 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Training more a week would depend on your cumulative stress from te rest of your life. An Olympic lifter just lifts, recovers an lifts again. It's their life and they put a lot of their life into recovering from their sessions.

A typical office worker would work say a 38 hour week, come home to the kids and wife, have house chores to do etc so their stress levels would be higher and training more would probably lead to overtraining much sooner than on others. If you have the mind set and dedication you probably wouldn't be the above typical office worker and would be focussing hard on recovery and be able to train more.

It would also depend on how you train aswell but this is just my generalized answer. I know a guy who competes in strongman events, trains like an animal, runs his own business, works another odd job on the side, has a wife and kid and still saw massive strength and size gains last year. He to me would be the definition of an overtrainer but he seems to pull it off because he is dedicated and has the right mindset. I guess it's all down to managing your own stress levels, keeping up your recovery and training smart.

I really agree with Fadi it's all about recovery and managing your life properly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: