• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

im taking on 3x3

maybe if you don't like it you shouldn't start it
a 130kg squat for 10 puts your 1RM around 170 by calculator and these often estimate very high.
I don't see why you're throwing around how much progress you make as a means to justify your arguments. If you're going to turn in the experience card at least show your experience

Your incline numbers are good though, which shows that BB type training is good for bench which is something I've always noticed. Put simply, if you talked about the bench then I'd listen to you but unfortunately all you seem to talk about is your total, your squat or your deadlift. Never about the bench press it seems which is bananas.

Im sure darkoz just said he doesn't lift to directly improve his 1rm.... Even rapeys getting dragged into this shit....

ive been doing a DUP/PHAT style routine for a while, im mostly looking to improve strength as I plan on competeing next year..

I know of a few dudes who have done sheiko, with an added day, with no problem, I'll see how I feel, if im not up to it ill ditch the extra work, but pretty sure ill be fine

It depends what's on the day.
Keep everything with a rep or two in the tank on assistance and fairly low volume and I think you'll be fine
It is just assistance though... it's used to push up muscle mass in lagging areas and to condition yourself to higher volumes of training. And that's it. Just keep that in mind before you add in a load of curls "Do I really need bigger biceps and will increasing the size of them add weight to my bench?" The answer for me is probably yes but judging by your avatar not so much for you. That's just an example so don't read too much into the specifics but the thought process behind it. If you find that dips improve your bench loads then do them, just remember that you can rarely serve two masters and eventually you'll have to put a fair bit of trial and error into how much volume of assistance you do

On my Sheiko cycles I add light Tues/Thurs workouts and I do 1 lower body conditioning exercise, a high rep arm exercise, abs and one exercise for 5x10 that I need to bring up (chest for me). Light and easy... save the straining for the real workouts

Last edited:
a 130kg squat for 10 puts your 1RM around 170 by calculator and these often estimate very high.

Says who? The calculator is often very accurate for me, and sometimes under estimates for squats...I'm guessing everyone is different

thanks man,
I never do direct arm work, I find it to be a waste, but thats just me...
as I said earlier, ill just do some shoulder presses some lat work, some dips, and some chins..

have you done 3x3? my only worry is once the 8 weeks are calculated, on paper it looks a bit too easy, though I understand the overall KG's moved for the week is more

I never answered Oni because like you said in your post above, I'm not interested in getting into a pissing competition.

But for instance, to give you an idea, I don't do flat bench, I do 22.5 degree incline bench of which I did 90kgx7 in my last chest workout.
I don't do a powerlifting style squat, I do fairly narrow stance high bar squat, my last leg workout was 130kgx10

But the reason I lift and why you lift is poles apart and the way I lift and the way you lift is also poles apart, so any numbers would be meaningless and I don't do 1 rep maxes.

Nice.

The numbers aren't meaningless at all.

Says who? The calculator is often very accurate for me, and sometimes under estimates for squats...I'm guessing everyone is different

They work well for converting 2-5RM to 1RM but above that they are fairly inaccurate because bodybuilders will be better at repping and powerlifters will not. The studies on repping in relation to 1RM were also done on untrained people!

thanks man,
I never do direct arm work, I find it to be a waste, but thats just me...
as I said earlier, ill just do some shoulder presses some lat work, some dips, and some chins..

have you done 3x3? my only worry is once the 8 weeks are calculated, on paper it looks a bit too easy, though I understand the overall KG's moved for the week is more

Lots of Eastern bloc style cycles look easy on paper. They work on accumulated fatigue. So once you deload then you really start to get strong. I've not done 3x3 but the principles they are based on are what I've been doing for a good while now

So you might feel like things are going a bit backwards while your on it, but once you've run it then hit a few near maxes then take a deload before the meet. Peaking is pretty individual though so trial and error is needed there...

my wilks total is more than yours

I remember being pulled down a peg the last time I quoted a lifting figure to support an argument. It seems now the rules have changed.

That's good. Now during these debates I can be correct against 95% of the people in the debate and always wrong against the 5% who can lift more than me.

They work well for converting 2-5RM to 1RM but above that they are fairly inaccurate because bodybuilders will be better at repping and powerlifters will not. The studies on repping in relation to 1RM were also done on untrained people!

I've found personally 1RM convertions aren't even remotely accurate, even at lowish rep ranges.

E.g for Bench I did 100 x 3 then missed 105 the next week - all touch n go. And inversely, recently for Olympic squat 135 was a very fast easy single, yet for 120 x 3 the 3rd rep was a bit of a grind.

Different body types/muscle fibre composition etc. For example I'm quite fast/explosive at athletic activity but almost comically weak at static/'brute' strength.

IMO some bber's good at repping moderate weights love using calculators for e-penis comparisons, but really they would get stapled at even 90% of that figure. Tate and Wendler both have both written about this via their personal stories, it has to be true.

Last edited:
Other option I toyed with is running squats and deads 3xweek and bench and military 2xweek, which I'll probably do afterwards anyway, but was just hoping to boost my lifts, especially my squat... I won't compete till late next year, so peaking isn't really an issue I don't think yet

I've found personally 1RM conversations aren't even remotely accurate, even at lowish rep ranges.

E.g for Bench I did 100 x 3 then missed 105 the next week - all touch n go. And inversely, recently for Olympic squat 135 was a very fast easy single, yet for 120 x 3 the 3rd rep was a bit of a grind.

Different body types/muscle fibre composition etc. For example I'm quite fast/explosive at athletic activity but almost comically weak at static/'brute' strength.

IMO some bber's good at repping moderate weights love using calculators for e-penis comparisons, but really they would get stapled at even 90% of that figure. Tate and Wendler both have both written about this via their personal stories, it has to be true.

The issue when you compete is peaking in strength.
My 1RM on deadlift is 190 in competition. I can't hit this number every day, it's not possible. You peak for that day and that is when you're strongest. Going by the calculator I can probably get 142.5kg for 10 reps if they were touch and go. 165kg for 5 reps at the moment would be out the question. 175kg for a triple... haha nope, not a chance.

They tell you what you were good for on THAT DAY most likely. This is why training cycles like Sheiko or the 3x3 look easy on paper. The max is set by what you compete at. You're psyched up and have peaked in strength. You're not going to be at peak strength in every single training session. This is why it's programmed "low". If you're hitting 100kg for unpsyched maxes most weeks then 10x2x85% is going to be easy for you. But if you do a meet and hit 115kg because you're fresh and then do that same 10x2x85% at the start of your next training cycle you're going to be in for a challenging training session!

Other option I toyed with is running squats and deads 3xweek and bench and military 2xweek, which I'll probably do afterwards anyway, but was just hoping to boost my lifts, especially my squat... I won't compete till late next year, so peaking isn't really an issue I don't think yet

Yep as 0ni says, training to peak in strength for X day and training for long-term strength gains are entirely different.

For example when switching over to 531 programming my 1RMs took a hit, due to having to adapt to lots of volume and accesory training with sub-maximal weights. I consider it 'off season' training which will pay off when closer to comp time some kind of peaking cycle will be run. Right now I still work up to heavy singles sometimes, but only to a point where it's still a reasonably fast and accurate lift, not a 1RM grinder.

I'm not a fan of running heavy dead-lifts frequently, as they are hard to recover from - IMO if you are going to pull frequently, the majority of it needs to be more along the lines of speed/technique work, i.e not exceed ~80% say more than once a week or few. Whereas squats are easier to recover from, so more volume at higher % are fine. Just my 2c based on what seems to work and not work for me so far.

Last edited:
You can pull all the time you just need to accept that your squat will take a beating
Just like you can squat everyday, you just need to put the deadlift on the back burner

Don't serve two masters, balance goals or emphasize one over the other

Fuck this thread turned into a disaster!

Back to OP - go ahead and run that program mate. Eat well and sleep well and log your results / sessions on here. At the end assess your results, reassess your goals and go again accordingly. And ignore all the other nonsense in this thread.