• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

iifym approach

I don't know why but I always feel a lot better eating a home made burger vs take away. Eating home made stuff helps me when I'm recovering from illness. It wouldn't surprise me if it helped with weight training recovery too.

Lol. There is nothing magical about home made food over brought stuff. It's all in your head. You probably just enjoy your home made burger more thats why you feel better. Plus the guilt that people associate with take away food.

I know I feel better after some chips or pizza rather than broccoli because I fucking hate broccoli.

Lol. There is nothing magical about home made food over brought stuff. It's all in your head. You probably just enjoy your home made burger more thats why you feel better. Plus the guilt that people associate with take away food.

I know I feel better after some chips or pizza rather than broccoli because I fucking hate broccoli.

Saywut? I regularly buy burgers, particularly from grill'd as I enjoy them. But you (I) simply cannot compare a burger you make at home like the one I did today, with a McDonalds or Hungry Jacks burger.

- Lean 5 star patty
- Olive oil
- Avocado
- Sauteed Spinach
- Lettuce
- Tomato
- Onion
- Egg
- Red & Yellow Capsicum
- Full flavoured cheddar - I can't believe people call cheese slices "cheese", they taste like plastic IMO :D

Am I missing a revolution or something? Why are people vehemently defending fast foods? Why are people who choose to cook fresh foods being demonised? In any case, the above burger (to me) tastes a truck load better than anything I can buy at a drive through. Maybe it's a matter of personal opinion, or maybe I am just a wonder chef. :D

Besides, there's a substantial nutrient difference. And while I am now cutting (between 500-1000 calories in deficit) I much prefer to eat nutritious foods where possible.

I am not saying never eat McDonalds. I eat it. I eat hungry jacks. Shit, I even eat KFC. It has been quite irregular however, because I just don't think it's that fantastic taste wise. It's convenient when nothing else is around or its late. I don't know why people crave it. Is it a psychological thing? Have a lesson or two in cooking, you'll be surprised what you can come up with. Have a look at some of the brilliant creations Viv comes up with. I was a little concerned when I opened a cheeseburger in my mates car late last year that had been there for 5 weeks or so, and it looked exactly the same as it did when bought "fresh".

To each is own, much of this is subjective. To me personally, if you're serious about your health, your physique & longevity - traditional fast foods would not be eaten more than twice weekly. Not telling anyone what to do here, if you're happy eating FF 5 of 7 days, by all means, go for it. I personally can't align myself with the whole 'no difference between a burger at home and a burger at [insert fast food joint]. I also don't see the issue with people making an effort to cook their food fresh if they feel better for it. Doesn't necessarily make them a clean freak or whatever other label they might be. Where did all this come from? It's not like anyone here is suggesting broccoli and broiled chicken breast 6x daily. Although back when I was getting in contest condition, it certainly made getting under 7% easy(ier).. which is tough for me. :D

One of the big differences would be the buns, it's likely yours have a lot less sugar than the fast food chain ones.. and the condiments, sauces, leanness of the meat etc... so the id have to argue the home burger (or grill'd burger) is better than the macca's burger...

Home cooked food allows you to adjust your portions of different foods as well to fill up on more suitable macros, portions in takeaways aren't so adjustable..

I disagree. I can get sick eating only mcdonald's... I've tried to subsist soley upon take away multiple times and thats always the result. People are different, maybe I'm allergic or something. Nothing to do with taste. I'd eat take away every minute of every day if I could (and I do it for ages sometimes) but I always feel better in body and mood going back to home cooked stuff from the grocer/butcher.

Does this happen to no one else?

Saywut? I regularly buy burgers, particularly from grill'd as I enjoy them. But you (I) simply cannot compare a burger you make at home like the one I did today, with a McDonalds or Hungry Jacks burger.

- Lean 5 star patty
- Olive oil
- Avocado
- Sauteed Spinach
- Lettuce
- Tomato
- Onion
- Egg
- Red & Yellow Capsicum
- Full flavoured cheddar - I can't believe people call cheese slices "cheese", they taste like plastic IMO :D

Am I missing a revolution or something? Why are people vehemently defending fast foods? Why are people who choose to cook fresh foods being demonised? In any case, the above burger (to me) tastes a truck load better than anything I can buy at a drive through. Maybe it's a matter of personal opinion, or maybe I am just a wonder chef. :D

Besides, there's a substantial nutrient difference. And while I am now cutting (between 500-1000 calories in deficit) I much prefer to eat nutritious foods where possible.

I am not saying never eat McDonalds. I eat it. I eat hungry jacks. Shit, I even eat KFC. It has been quite irregular however, because I just don't think it's that fantastic taste wise. It's convenient when nothing else is around or its late. I don't know why people crave it. Is it a psychological thing? Have a lesson or two in cooking, you'll be surprised what you can come up with. Have a look at some of the brilliant creations Viv comes up with. I was a little concerned when I opened a cheeseburger in my mates car late last year that had been there for 5 weeks or so, and it looked exactly the same as it did when bought "fresh".

To each is own, much of this is subjective. To me personally, if you're serious about your health, your physique & longevity - traditional fast foods would not be eaten more than twice weekly. Not telling anyone what to do here, if you're happy eating FF 5 of 7 days, by all means, go for it. I personally can't align myself with the whole 'no difference between a burger at home and a burger at [insert fast food joint]. I also don't see the issue with people making an effort to cook their food fresh if they feel better for it. Doesn't necessarily make them a clean freak or whatever other label they might be. Where did all this come from? It's not like anyone here is suggesting broccoli and broiled chicken breast 6x daily. Although back when I was getting in contest condition, it certainly made getting under 7% easy(ier).. which is tough for me. :D

Your making some wrong assumptions here.

I'm not demonising clean type foods or home cooking. I love cooking. I am just against the whole clean v dirty concept. Do you really think the lettuce, tomato or egg you put on your burger is better for you than the lettuce, tomato or egg a burger joint puts on there burgers?

I like home cooked food and also like some takeaway food. Nothing wrong with that.

I am also cutting and my diets are more sustainable when I include foods I enjoy rather than totally avoiding foods because they are supposedly dirty. Also there is no fucking way I am in a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

The whole Maccas burgers don't break down thing is a myth.

I don't eat usually eat fast food even twice a week but saying no more than twice a week is just pulling numbers out your arse. Says who? Why no more than twice a week? What types of fast food?

Again i never said I had a problem with cooking fresh food. I love it, it's just the clean vs dirty thing is so blurred and people especially on BB sites love to get on there high horse about supposed dirty take away and non home cooked foods.

Last edited:
I subsist pretty much on takeaways, but we're talking grilld, chinese takeaway, kebabs, chickens etc here, little to no Macca's/BK/KFC and i stay remarkably healthy, if somewhat overweight.

I disagree. I can get sick eating only mcdonald's... I've tried to subsist soley upon take away multiple times and thats always the result. People are different, maybe I'm allergic or something. Nothing to do with taste. I'd eat take away every minute of every day if I could (and I do it for ages sometimes) but I always feel better in body and mood going back to home cooked stuff from the grocer/butcher.

Does this happen to no one else?

Doesn't mean it's bad food. I feel sick if I eat broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms make me wanna fucking hurl.

Gotta agree with Bazza on this nutritionally food is food regardless of the source if you know the nutritional content that's what it is.

IIFYM has been awesome for me cause I now have a better understanding of the calorie contents of certain food groups. Some of those foods touted as 'clean' are fucking calorie dense with shitty macros. Eat clean or dirty or watever the fuck you wanna call it and consistently go over your calorie allowance your gonna be fat.

This cat isn't fat and eats a bigmac meal every day of his life for lunch. Sure he looks like he might have a mental health problem but physically looks pretty good to me.

don_gorske_02.JPG

Gotta agree with Bazza on this nutritionally food is food regardless of the source if you know the nutritional content that's what it is.

IIFYM has been awesome for me cause I now have a better understanding of the calorie contents of certain food groups. Some of those foods touted as 'clean' are fucking calorie dense with shitty macros. Eat clean or dirty or watever the fuck you wanna call it and consistently go over your calorie allowance your gonna be fat.

This cat isn't fat and eats a bigmac meal every day of his life for lunch. Sure he looks like he might have a mental health problem but physically looks pretty good to me.

don_gorske_02.JPG

Lol... Have a go at his hair and glasses!!!

For me the argument would be about artificial colors flavours and preservatives, as well as carbohydrates from fibrous foods than from sugars.

you might think a lot of the traditional bb meals are a waste of time. There is more than meets the eye with food.

But my diet has gone to shit lately so I can't talk.

Most people have a good balance, but some people like old mate at stairway to supps just go too far IMO.

Your making some wrong assumptions here.

I'm not demonising clean type foods or home cooking. I love cooking. I am just against the whole clean v dirty concept. Do you really think the lettuce, tomato or egg you put on your burger is better for you than the lettuce, tomato or egg a burger joint puts on there burgers?

I like home cooked food and also like some takeaway food. Nothing wrong with that.

I am also cutting and my diets are more sustainable when I include foods I enjoy rather than totally avoiding foods because they are supposedly dirty. Also there is no fucking way I am in a 500-1000 calorie deficit.

The whole Maccas burgers don't break down thing is a myth.

I don't eat usually eat fast food even twice a week but saying no more than twice a week is just pulling numbers out your arse. Says who? Why no more than twice a week? What types of fast food?

Again i never said I had a problem with cooking fresh food. I love it, it's just the clean vs dirty thing is so blurred and people especially on BB sites love to get on there high horse about supposed dirty take away and non home cooked foods.

I am not comparing lettuce to lettuce or tomato to tomato - Looking at the picture as a whole - I am saying the burgers you can cook tend to have better quality fats, more fibre and obviously nutrients - particularly less artificial shit & preservatives, the bun, and of course, less sodium. Particularly when I am cooking for the olds. That shit becomes MUCH more important as you get into your 50s & 60s. By fast food, there are varying degrees - I don't consider Grill'D and the like as traditional "fast food" - most things that can be ordered in a drive thru (McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks) are.

Two times weekly is just my personal preference, it's arbitrary. It's a recommendation I used when training clients who had issues with blood pressure or were diabetic and needed to control BP or blood sugar or had other contraindications and were eating it more like 5-7 times weekly. Of course, if you're younger you have more shielding from this, does not mean it does not catch up with you over the years.

I just think we've seen the anally clean league move to the completely lax, and far too lax (not all mind you, just some I have seen lately). I am not sure we should be teaching people "well, there's not much of a difference between a burger at home and one of which you can get at Mc/HJs etc". People by default so very easily justify in their minds what they can and can't do, they generally always take the path of least resistance. When someone is tired/hungry, they'll always take the more convenient option. If they are only ever worried about their macros, I am certain this trend of convenience will follow.

Like I said, I am not against ever eating fast food or IIFYM. For the majority of the population who want to control their weight, and balance life it is definitely an approachable and less callous way of doing it. I saw quite a number of trainers in my time try to put 50 year old women on basically a bodybuilding contest diet, of course this is ridiculous and not sustainable. I think we need to be careful about what we're teaching people; aesthetics or weight control is just a small part of health - your micronutrient & vitamin intake is important too - as is fibre intake et. al.

Guess what I had last night, courtesy of my brother?

Grand Angus.

I'm not sure why home cooked make me feel a lot better than Maccas, but I don't think saying so is akin to believing in magic or fairies. I'm not one to jump on the new-age bandwagon it just without a doubt has a more positive affect on how I feel. I'm not a nutritional scientist so I can't give reasons why. I see why you'd argue, but it seems to be now like 2 people arguing over the existence of hangovers, one of whom doesn't get them. You'll just have to trust that eating Maccas/take away after a while makes me sick.

I'm not sure why home cooked make me feel a lot better than Maccas, but I don't think saying so is akin to believing in magic or fairies. I'm not one to jump on the new-age bandwagon it just without a doubt has a more positive affect on how I feel. I'm not a nutritional scientist so I can't give reasons why. I see why you'd argue, but it seems to be now like 2 people arguing over the existence of hangovers, one of whom doesn't get them. You'll just have to trust that eating Maccas/take away after a while makes me sick.

No I believe you, you're not the only one. Some people just feel sick because they eat it after a big night out, and of course forget that they've been drinking a whole heap.

But I have felt sick before just eating it, like I have with eating a Souvlaki and other fast food. I even got food poisoning from subway, which I can't eat anymore because I threw up like a motherfucker after a chicken sub, which was OK for years. But now the smell of it makes me feel ill.

There's always a small risk when eating out, even in a restaurant. I have worked in them before for years - about 8 yeas all up in my teens. Let me tell you if people don't give a fuck (like a lot of the "Chefs" and kitchen hands) then temperatures fall, food isn't rotated (dropped, picked up and put on a plate - NUMEROUS times). If you've got 14 year olds working, generally their duty of care isn't pro-standard.

I am not comparing lettuce to lettuce or tomato to tomato - Looking at the picture as a whole - I am saying the burgers you can cook tend to have better quality fats, more fibre and obviously nutrients - particularly less artificial shit & preservatives, the bun, and of course, less sodium. Particularly when I am cooking for the olds. That shit becomes MUCH more important as you get into your 50s & 60s. By fast food, there are varying degrees - I don't consider Grill'D and the like as traditional "fast food" - most things that can be ordered in a drive thru (McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks) are.

Two times weekly is just my personal preference, it's arbitrary. It's a recommendation I used when training clients who had issues with blood pressure or were diabetic and needed to control BP or blood sugar or had other contraindications and were eating it more like 5-7 times weekly. Of course, if you're younger you have more shielding from this, does not mean it does not catch up with you over the years.

I just think we've seen the anally clean league move to the completely lax, and far too lax (not all mind you, just some I have seen lately). I am not sure we should be teaching people "well, there's not much of a difference between a burger at home and one of which you can get at Mc/HJs etc". People by default so very easily justify in their minds what they can and can't do, they generally always take the path of least resistance. When someone is tired/hungry, they'll always take the more convenient option. If they are only ever worried about their macros, I am certain this trend of convenience will follow.

Like I said, I am not against ever eating fast food or IIFYM. For the majority of the population who want to control their weight, and balance life it is definitely an approachable and less callous way of doing it. I saw quite a number of trainers in my time try to put 50 year old women on basically a bodybuilding contest diet, of course this is ridiculous and not sustainable. I think we need to be careful about what we're teaching people; aesthetics or weight control is just a small part of health - your micronutrient & vitamin intake is important too - as is fibre intake et. al.

Guess what I had last night, courtesy of my brother?

Grand Angus.

That's not an argument for home made burgers being better for you at all, that's just assuming you are putting different ingredients into the burger.

I could easily make a home made burger with more calories, fat, sodium, sugar and less fiber than any fast food joint. Does that now mean home made food is worse than fast food. Fuck no, it all depends on what you put in the burger. Just because its fast food doesn't automatically make food bad and home cooked = good.

Like I said the 2 times a week is based on nothing at all. Doesn't take into account the person, lifestyle or the fast food they are eating. Just a useless number.

For a food to be good or bad depends on the whole context of the persons diet. Eg if a person has had the last 15 meals as chicken and broccoli a Big Mac is probably going to give them a better range of nutrients than more fucking chicken and broccoli.

I had all this Saturday morning after a huge night on the turps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355095602.412754.jpg
Hangover was adverted and still got bucket loads of P/C/F.
Each to their own and I think it all cones down to self control and knowing your own body.

That's not an argument for home made burgers being better for you at all, that's just assuming you are putting different ingredients into the burger.

I could easily make a home made burger with more calories, fat, sodium, sugar and less fiber than any fast food joint. Does that now mean home made food is worse than fast food. Fuck no, it all depends on what you put in the burger. Just because its fast food doesn't automatically make food bad and home cooked = good.

Like I said the 2 times a week is based on nothing at all. Doesn't take into account the person, lifestyle or the fast food they are eating. Just a useless number.

For a food to be good or bad depends on the whole context of the persons diet. Eg if a person has had the last 15 meals as chicken and broccoli a Big Mac is probably going to give them a better range of nutrients than more fucking chicken and broccoli.

We can go around in circles, I wasn't having a go at you Bazza. :D The whole crux of the argument is that you have more control of what goes into your body if you make it yourself. Of course you can make shit at home that's even worse than what you could buy at a drive thru, I wasn't suggesting that.

In any case I don't consider traditional fast food "healthwise", but that's just me. To each his own.

Undercover - that's right - self control and you really need to know your body. Also, it comes down to personal preference and how that person feels. If I didn't eat McDonalds ever again I personally don't feel like I'd be missing out. Some people go nuts over it. My weakness is Grill'd and Souvlaki's from lamb on Chapel. :D