• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

iifym approach

Bigman

Banned
I saw alot of you use the IIFYM approach to dieting. I was just wondering why? Where is the scientific evidence to support this approach to eating? Wouldn’t it be common sense to eat a number of more balanced meals over the course of the day and not just 1-2 meals that consist of a fairly low nutritional benefit to the person consuming it?

I do agree in some cases that it may work, i.e someone who is just simply looking to drop weight and not concerned about getting the most nutritional value out of their food to support the growth of muscle and to help stay as lean as possible while doing so. Even then I would never suggest someone take this approach and use, I just can’t get my head around not eating food that will not support your results, and give you everything you need to maximise the development of strength, power and muscle growth, how does 1L of Ice cream give you the same benefit as 1kg of steak? Please show me the scientific evidence to support these claims.

I know the whole 5,6 meals a day thing has been debunked from what I have heard, and I am under the understanding there is scientific evidence to back this up, could someone please link me to these findings? I would like to ask though were these studies done on bodybuilders training at a high level or the general public maybe doing some general everyday cardio/weight training? If so I think this may put a question in alot of people’s minds who may be using this for bodybuilding purpose, does this approach to dieting support and give you everything you need V’s a balanced diet of high protein, carbs and fats, spread out throughout the day. Please provide evidence to show that these studies have been based on bodybuilders. And these studies need to be from a beginner level to semi-advanced level of bodybuilder, we can’t put claims on things if the subject being studied has already build a base with the “bro-science” approach to training.

In conclusion I would like to be shown the biggest proof of all, real world results, show me a bodybuilder, athlete that has BUILT their physique from the ground up, from start to end goal/or close to with the IIFYM approach, I tend to find the guys that do it have either used the “bro-science” approach to build their physique and then changed over to the IIFYM approach once it came out, or their results if starting out have been minimal due to what I would say is a lack of nutritional support when weight training and trying to build a lean muscular physique.

I think these new ideas and philosophies are fantastic for the sport of bodybuilding but we need evidence, real world mostly to support these claims and to show it works, so we arnt wasting peoples time in the gym.

Thank you, I guess what I am wanting to see like my conclusion stated is real world results from start to finish (or close to the end goal) of someone using this approach to build their physique. Thank you for the link it does somewhat explain the make up of the approach but alot of that is common sense the general public should be following.

And could just please link me to the studies based on bodybuilders and them following this approach V's the normal 5-6 meals a day. This is purely for the benefit of a bodybuilder and taking full advantege of the food they are eating to reach their end result. As I stated I think the IIFYM approach would be good for the general public or some who does some light/mod cardio, weight training. But could you link me to the studies based on the more serious trainer and the studies that show what the body needs to funtuction at the highest level possible while drawing the most out of developing muscle.

Thank you, I guess what I am wanting to see like my conclusion stated is real world results from start to finish (or close to the end goal) of someone using this approach to build their physique. Thank you for the link it does somewhat explain the make up of the approach but alot of that is common sense the general public should be following.

And could just please link me to the studies based on bodybuilders and them following this approach V's the normal 5-6 meals a day. This is purely for the benefit of a bodybuilder and taking full advantege of the food they are eating to reach their end result. As I stated I think the IIFYM approach would be good for the general public or some who does some light/mod cardio, weight training. But could you link me to the studies based on the more serious trainer and the studies that show what the body needs to funtuction at the highest level possible while drawing the most out of developing muscle.

You read that whole link in 10 minutes. Good effort.

The only real debate is with borderline OCD bodybuilders. There is not such thing as clean food. These are just labels people have added to some foods that supposedly make them magical over other foods and non clean foods supposedly all of a sudden have no nutrition of benifit.

What is so controversial about hitting Marcos for the day and eating a wide range of food while doing it.

You read that whole link in 10 minutes. Good effort.

I have been looking over it and other threads the last couple of days mate, thats why I said alot of you use the IIFYM approach, hence the reason for the thread.

Thats why I asked in said post for this info, considering I may have missed it:

The only real debate is with borderline OCD bodybuilders. There is not such thing as clean food. These are just labels people have added to some foods that supposedly make them magical over other foods and non clean foods supposedly all of a sudden have no nutrition of benifit.

What is so controversial about hitting Marcos for the day and eating a wide range of food while doing it.

But you said and I quote "no one said 1kg of steak is the same as 1kg of ice cream. Totally different calories and macros." Lets say for example you measured out both so they do have the same calories, would this mean they have the same nutritional benefit seeing as though you said there is no such thing as clean food?

This what I am trying to get my head around, id love to maybe use aspects of this approach but I need the scientific evidence that is based on a bodybuilders level of dieting, eating, training to be able to understand this.

But you said and I quote "no one said 1kg of steak is the same as 1kg of ice cream. Totally different calories and macros." Lets say for example you measured out both so they do have the same calories, would this mean they have the same nutritional benefit seeing as though you said there is no such thing as clean food?

This what I am trying to get my head around, id love to maybe use aspects of this approach but I need the scientific evidence that is based on a bodybuilders level of dieting, eating, training to be able to understand this.

Calorie for calorie steak and ice cream will still have different macros.

Calorie for calorie steak and ice cream will still have different macros.

I know this, thats why I simply said calories. I was just trying to say do you consider ice cream and steak on the same level in regards to nutritional benefit, I wasnt saying Ice cream V's steak persay, because there are a million different options that you could compare, that wouldnt compare.

I didnt mean to cause a stir I was simply asking for the scientific evidence that has been based on people who are at a fairly serious training level V's the general public (which most studies are based on) when it comes to this approach to dieting.

I have and I would say 99% of the people here have always followed the typical approach to dieting when we are weight training, so I am just asking for the evidence, real world or scientific that shows this approach to dieting will draw the same results as the old typical approach that most of us have followed. This being from a beginner level to where the X studied person has nearly reached their goal and/or have reach their goal.

I know this, thats why I simply said calories. I was just trying to say do you consider ice cream and steak on the same level in regards to nutritional benefit, I wasnt saying Ice cream V's steak persay, because there are a million different options that you could compare, that wouldnt compare.

I didnt mean to cause a stir I was simply asking for the scientific evidence that has been based on people who are at a fairly serious training level V's the general public (which most studies are based on) when it comes to this approach to dieting.

I have and I would say 99% of the people here have always followed the typical approach to dieting when we are weight training, so I am just asking for the evidence, real world or scientific that shows this approach to dieting will draw the same results as the old typical approach that most of us have followed. This being from a beginner level to where the X studied person has nearly reached their goal and/or have reach their goal.

So if you know that the macros are different why try and compare them. Your trying to make an argument out of something that is not even what the basis of IIFYM is about. Notice in the title if it FITS YOUR MACROS. If the macros are different why are you trying to compare them.

Basics hit your macros over the day with a range of food. If that is chicken breast, broccoli and sweet potato. Its up to you. If its a few burgers and other stuff it's not going to make a difference if the macros end up the same.

So if you know that the macros are different why try and compare them. Your trying to make an argument out of something that is not even what the basis of IIFYM is about. Notice in the title if it FITS YOUR MACROS. If the macros are different why are you trying to compare them.

Basics hit your macros over the day with a range of food. If that is chicken breast, broccoli and sweet potato. Its up to you. If its a few burgers and other stuff it's not going to make a difference if the macros end up the same.

Mate I clearly said I wasnt trying to say Ice cream V's steak, I was simply trying to say do you consider these of same nutritional benefit when making up the macros for the day?

As I stated I am simply asking for real world or scientific evidence based on a bodybuilding/athlete level that supports these claims. Considering the nutritional needs and how the body needs to be fed, for a bodybuilder/athlete are different to those of the general public.

As I stated I like the sounds of this approach but I would just like to see scientific or real world evidence that is from a bodybuilding or athlete standpoint. Can you provide this evidence or not? If no then thats ok I will countine my own personal study of this approach. I was simply asking a question I am sorry to cause a stir.

Do i have to say it again, no steak and ice cream are not the same they are DIFFERENT and there benefit will depend on the situation because they are DIFFERENT. Is that so difficult.

If you want science there is plenty out there and on this forum because it has been discussed before. I can't be bothered spoon feeding you.

It's really not that difficult of a concept.

Do i have to say it again, no steak and ice cream are not the same they are DIFFERENT and there benefit will depend on the situation because they are DIFFERENT. Is that so difficult.

If you want science there is plenty out there and on this forum because it has been discussed before. I can't be bothered spoon feeding you.

It's really not that difficult of a concept.

Thank you mate, I do understand this, sorry for causing the stir.

Could you please link me to this because I am honestly unable to find it, I dont need everything just the real world and scientific evidence and examples of bodybuilders who have used this approach from start to finish, based on the bodybuildingneeds and aspects to this approach.

Thank you for your time in explain this and linking me.

Interesting discussion...

Generally speaking when we talk about macros we are talking about macros across the day or week...

Also... Macros revolves around the totals for Protein, fat and carbs...

So yes ice cream can fit into your macros across your day... You would alter other meals to do it...

As long as you hit your protein fat and carb totals for the day... All is good...

If your eating 4000 plus calories a day adding icecream or anything for that matter is easy to do... If your on 1200 calories a day its not as easy to do but still achievable...

I think a lot of people get confused because a lot of guys doing IIFYM are also doing IF (intermittent fasting) these are two different things. People can do IIFYM and eat as many or as few meals as they like, I think its the 20 hour fasts that people used to "bro" style training can't get their head around.

Thank you mate, I do understand this, sorry for causing the stir.

Could you please link me to this because I am honestly unable to find it, I dont need everything just the real world and scientific evidence and examples of bodybuilders who have used this approach from start to finish, based on the bodybuildingneeds and aspects to this approach.

Thank you for your time in explain this and linking me.

iifym is cornerstone for every diet ever written...

The macros adjust according to the approach...

Although meal timing is probably open to considerable debate... Max B has jumped through all of the hoola hoops on this one already in the stickys...