• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much sleep?

Thanks for your answers and suggestions everyone. From them I'm going to book an appointment with the doc to see if something is going on. I had suspected low thyroid output several years ago but it cleared up OK then so it might be worth looking at something similar again.

A little bit about me for those who asked.
Female, 25 years
170cm and 85 Kg - So it's a no brainer I'm carrying more fat that is optimal right now. But until the end of the year I'm caring more about my muscles, but don’t want to blow up too much ya know.

Food - I haven't tracked regularly recently so I can’t give an exact answer but I can say I’m getting a lot. I'm aiming for something like 2500 on lifting days and 2000 on non-lifting days. That's made up of 180g or protein and the rest fat and carbs with a minimum of 100g each with more emphasis on fat (I work better that way). I've tracked this before and as I said before I've been getting over this regularly. If you can suggest any changes to this I'm all ears.

But seriously I've been pigging out and eating much more than usual. So if it's anything to do with food it can only be a permanent food coma. Including a week spent away on holiday (even more pigginess) in the last month I've actually put on 5Kg. Yes, you heard right, 5Kg in a month, so I'm not eating too little. Actually that much gain leads me to suspect hormone crappiness even more. What is odd that is that someone actually remarked that I look more lean than before, but even I can’t pretend that's all muscle.

I'll try to take pay more attention to water intake. However I do tend to need to piss every hour. I have to consciously decrease water consumption prior to going to the movies :(

As said before the last month has included a week of holiday (no training) so it's less likely to be adrenal fatigue (even if you use the term 'burn out' instead). But training is high with a typical week being 3 days weight training and 4 of martial arts sessions (MA is not always high intensity though).

Hey Riddles, unsure what it could be. I'd consider things like stress factors and how your body may use its nutrients during daily stresses. If you don't already take a multi-V, that may be a good start. I regularly take non-chewable vit C and have better energy with it, compared to not. Umm and caffeine can be a weird thing, so if you have it a lot, I know its caused me problems before. Goodluck. And I sleep 7 hours usually, but up to 9, sometimes only 4 hrs. Just have naps lol.

Try not to spend too much money on something that's going to be pretty easy to fix
Chances are you don't have some weird disease

inb4 im wrong

Different people need different amounts of sleep. Some need more and others need less. I need 9 hours everyday. If I don't have enough, the next day or on weekends I will need to sleep a whole lot more. I can barely survive on 9 hours.

My gf who's a nurse and often works night shifts or sometimes even double shifts. Can easily sleep 12 hours everyday without an issue. Some days she slept for 15-16hours... But I think she's on the extreme side of sleep scale.

I dunno what to do about sleep either I had this app where it tracked my sleep. It said that my sleep was interrupted 27 times I can't tell how long i've slept or whether i've slept properly ever it sucks lol

I dunno what to do about sleep either I had this app where it tracked my sleep. It said that my sleep was interrupted 27 times I can't tell how long i've slept or whether i've slept properly ever it sucks lol

I'd be a bit unnerved by the thought of a machine spying on and observing me whilst I sleep, hence be 'interrupted' more than if it wasn't.

Wow, some of you get alot of sleep! I live on 5-6 hours a night. Quite used to it now. Last night only got 4. It's fine.

When our daughter was born, until she was about 9 months old, she wouldn't sleep more that 45 mins at a time!! That shit messes with any sleep you get!

If I sleep less than 6 hours my brain shuts down and I can't think properly (my job is all about thinking). For me every hour of extra sleep makes a huge difference, especially after heavy day of lifting. I can just get by on 6, but at minimum I aim for minimum of 7 hours. I'm lucky to get 8 hours during the week which I prefer and on weekends I get 9 hours.

I also don't envy the people who can sleep less than me.

If I could get by on 4 hours sleep a day, I'd be wrapped, I could get so much more done.

Us dopey bastards need more sleep it seems.

I took some melatonin for the first time last night and bam, out like the light. Worked better for me than restavit! Woke up refreshed as ever with 9 hr sleep down my belt. Happy days. Can't even remember what I dreamt, but it was epic.

I would like to mention that since my early teens I've suffered some insomnia/sleep anxiety on and off.

Melatonin seemed to fix it for a few months then stopped working.

Then early this year I began daily supplementation of fish oil (6g), Zinc (500mg), Magnesium (1500mg), Vit D (5000UI), as well as eating a fairly micro-nutrient-dense diet, not just high in protein.

No issues falling asleep since, out within minutes of hitting the sack pretty much every night. Has done wonders for my general motivation, energy levels, mood and of course lifting.

No issues falling asleep since, out within minutes of hitting the sack pretty much every night.

Do you go to bed the same time very night - ie establish a routine? And do you go when you're tired? Also I find I sleep the best whenever I am satisfied with the day's events. Achieved what I have set out to achieve, no unfinished business to be anxious about, etc. If my mind is not ready to rest then I can kiss sleep goodbye.

Ok so for me I can survive on anything between 6-8 hrs I find if I sleep longer sometimes I just literally stay in bed and I have skipped a meal which is bad!! Ever thought of supplementing e.g. ZMA? This may help with your issue. Also drink BCCAs during the day with your water it helps keep energy levels and invest in some Vital Greens :)

Do you go to bed the same time very night - ie establish a routine? And do you go when you're tired? Also I find I sleep the best whenever I am satisfied with the day's events. Achieved what I have set out to achieve, no unfinished business to be anxious about, etc. If my mind is not ready to rest then I can kiss sleep goodbye.

My routine during the week is pretty much from 9 -9.30 I will start my 'winding down'. This means reading or watching something not overly stimulating, forums. listening to some chilled music, reflecting on the day, having a wank etc.

When I feel sufficiently relaxed (usually 10.30-11) I'll go to bed. If my mind doesn't feel at ease I'll stay up a bit later till I feel ready, whenever that is. Occasionally, that can be midnight or later, but I much prefer to just wait till I'm ready than go to bed earlier.

If I go to bed without feeling at peace/rest, I tend to lie awake with my mind churning, and then it turns into anxiety and I can forget about falling asleep any time soon.

Last edited: