• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

HIT Style Training. Triceps & Others

0ni

Registered Rustler
I'm going to try out some HIT style training for my triceps. They seem to respond well to this type of training- lots of pressing isn't doing the trick! I get good results from absolutely destroying them as fast as I can at the end of a session for sure.

I'd be interested to see what Andy and Joel have to say about this.
I only have basic equipment and am looking for something to really finish off my triceps as fast as possible after some floor presses, dips and overhead presses.

I really like band pushdowns, they are great. For shoulders I do this and it works very well. I prefer to mix a few exercises up and run through them all as fast I can!
Front Plate Raises (to all the way overhead)- 25 reps
Incline Bench Rear Delts - 25 reps
Side Laterals - 25 reps
Upright Rows - 25 reps

Other HIT methods and workouts would be good to post as well. Anyone that has brought up a lagging body part with HIT should share their experience

There is a video of Mike Mentzer training someone and what he does is pushdowns on the cable machine. He does them very slowly! And hits absolute failure on the negative. He pauses at the bottom as well. Then he immediately does some dips in the same manner. I think something like this would be very good. I think Mentzer is a loony still though. I'll be getting in plenty of pressing for high volume before doing this as a finisher and I won't be resting for 8 days afterwards

Weighted dips, 3 sets then either decline tricep extensions or cable pushdown for 2 or 3 sets
alternate each exercise, this is one set.
keep the cadence nice and slow with a hard squeeze on the positive.
And with the cable pushdown, keep you body as close as you can to the cable.

Last edited:
I'm all for efficiency of exercise, if the exercise applies the correct force throughout the movement then much is not needed, one reason why I don't like bands, it starts at zero and ends in zero force.

I believe that for a single joint exercise not more than 12 reps to fatigue is required to stimulate growth.

Dips are a great upper body exercise, not an awesome exercise for the tricep, pre fatiguing the triceps is a good method.

I would prefer to see you do a HIT style workout and include, some tricep work, some pre-fatigue and negative only work on the dips rather than some workout for triceps only.

when you're next in Melbourne let me know, I'll join you down at carrum downs we'll do a workout together, me then you, rather than my turn your turn, it gives for a more intense workout.

keep the cadence nice and slow with a hard squeeze on the positive.
And with the cable pushdown, keep you body as close as you can to the cable.

How far do you stand from the pulley/axis, the angle of the cable, if you understand what I mean?

Thanks guys
Darkoz I know what you mean about the slow cadence. 4 second eccentric, 4 second concentric with a pause at the maximal contraction if the exercise allows that. I think this is the ticket to the entire shiteree, otherwise you're pissing in the wind. Can't really push to real failure unless the cadence is really slow

I like the bands Andy, I also pre-stretch them so that there is always tension in the bands. Especially on pushdowns it's as if I can feel the muscle about to tear down the entire length! No more than 12 reps sounds about right, I don't think I'd want to do much more than 12 reps anyway. Maybe higher reps for legs but certainly not more than 15. Although when I squat I like to just put 2 plates a side on and go really slow getting 20 reps out. I'll definitely let you know when I am next in Melbourne. I may even just go there for a weekend to train sometime. Why not! A shoulders, biceps, triceps workout would go down very well.

I was going to just add this in on my own training. So for triceps I'd be doing:
Floor press (shoulder width grip: Single set of 8-10 reps
Ring dips: 5 sets of max reps
Overhead press: 5 sets 8-12 reps

THEN I'd do the HIT set for triceps and shoulders

OK, u find that in this position most of the load is lost at full extension?
Cos the arm is inline with the cable.
Not sure what you mean by "most of the load is lost at full extension" it's a cable machine after all.
I'm saying the more you lean forward the more it turns into a pec, lats and delts exercise as your elbows will tend to flare out..
there's nothing complicated about it, keep as upright as possible with your elbows tucked into your sides

Not sure what you mean by "most of the load is lost at full extension" it's a cable machine after all.
I'm saying the more you lean forward the more it turns into a pec, lats and delts exercise as your elbows will tend to flare out..
there's nothing complicated about it, keep as upright as possible with your elbows tucked into your sides

OK
what I'm trying to say here is that if standing close to the pulley the arm is parallel to to the cable and not loaded up when fully extended as it would be when the arm is at 90 deg to the cable.
standing further away creates more angle b/w the arm and cable at full extension, BUT less at the beging of the rep/rom.
hard to describe, not sure if u know what I mean.
but if you do, where do you positon your stand from the cable when it is vertical.

Grunta just don't lock out and hold the weight until it's hard to maintain the contraction

There is no optimal distance as the resistance is not rotary, but you would try to keep the arms behind the midline of the torso and instead of using the standard handle you're best suited to use a long length of rope.

HIIT works awesome for the tricepts. you will not be disapointed.

welcome to bodybuilding, not powerlifting. where you actually see the muscle your developing.

my go-to is rope pulls with light weight for engage
then scull crushers, pyramid weight << ends up as heavy as can be! each set reduce reps to match.
then v bar on the cables, and superset with kickbacks
then end on high rep, drop set, rope pulldowns.
something that developed my ridiculously separated tri's.