• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yes, many ways to express strength imrpovement; agree with Bazza.

For powerlifters and olympic lifters, low reps obvious (at end of program). Skill and absolute strenght crucial, although i have always hated low reps personally.

For a bodybuilder, max reps on 80% and 70% can tell the story.

If you mix it up, the tests will be related. I can get about 20 reps on 70%, and 10 reps on 80%, supposedly i have slow witch fibres. Last year dide 137.5kg sincle bench, and 16 reps on 100kg (which is about right for me). (70% of 137.5kg is 95kg).

However, also read Ted Arcidi did 20 reps on 495 pounds wit 700 pounds single bench, although would not have a clue if true.

not to add fuel to the fire, but pumpingiron is onto a good thing IMO. these are the same principles I use and have been taught by bodybuilders. Each to their own...

agree, a lot of bodybuilders dont need to test anything; they know what they are doing just from feel. They can see results from muscle growth.

I come more from sports performance background.

Just making point, strength gains cane be measured without much alteration to bodybuilding training. Seen a few bodybuilders freshen up, after doing little heavy weights, and do some big lifts.

A lot of these discussions can be cut short if we say.... rather than talking about it, just try it, then report back.

Last edited:
a bodybuilder training for str is like a tennis player practising his swing using a basebell bat hitting baseballs, sure it might help but it aint gonna be as affective as actually using a tennis racket> silly example but if ur not retard you can see where im coming from.

a bodybuilder training for str is like a tennis player practising his swing using a basebell bat hitting baseballs, sure it might help but it aint gonna be as affective as actually using a tennis racket> silly example but if ur not retard you can see where im coming from.

Stupid example. And I don't think you understand any of this thread at all. So who's retarded then.

Thats a bad example a better example and one that reflects what people on the forum are trying to say to you would be-

A tennis player who does some sprint training. It will make him faster on the court and better his tennis even though it is not tennis training it is benefical.

Think about it. If you can't see logic and how that correlates with strength vs bb then something is wrong. No offence intended mate just trying to get you to look at this in a different way.

Fluffy hit it in 1.

I've always looked at it in this fashion;

Person A lifts 100kg for 8 reps, Person B lifts 120kg for 8 reps.
Both people perform the reps in the exact same manner, same ROM, tempo etc
You tell me who is going to stimulate their muscles more to grow

Fluffy hit it in 1.

I've always looked at it in this fashion;

Person A lifts 100kg for 8 reps, Person B lifts 120kg for 8 reps.
Both people perform the reps in the exact same manner, same ROM, tempo etc
You tell me who is going to stimulate their muscles more to grow

This is self evident truth and doesn't need discussion G.

But what I think and I could be wrong but what I beleive we would all agree on is if;

Using the barbell curl as an example...
A. Uses 100kg x 8 with full rom at a smooth pace with the muscle under constant tension.
B. uses 120kg x 8 with limited ROM swaying the body to create momentum and only maintain tension in the positive phase.

Both to fatigue

Then A will require less exercise (sets)
B. will need to do more work.

A's intensity of work will be higher, safer and more efficiant.