• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with Comp periodization

Hamburgler, i'm going to go over what most have already said on here..

It's your first comp..
The very first thing you want to do is get all the commands and rule down right... no use smashing the weight if you get red lighted becuase it was touch and go, feet movement, bum of bench, rack before told, etc..
Read the rules and try and know them inside and out.. have someone there to help you out too.. provide encuragement and help get you warmed up, etc..

Then the next thing... raw or geared..

Most will compete raw for their first comp.. and believe me it is a shit load easier.. then trying to work gear out too in your first comp..

Now to the training.. there are many ways to skin a cat..
You need to find what works for you and your schedule..
Linear periodisation, block training, 5/3/1, sheiko, smolov.. etc
Try not to over complicate it.. and try not to mix and match programming it will just get out of hand..

Linear tends to work well for first comps..
With 6 weeks out you should be pretty right.. complete your main lifts, work hard on your secondaries and weak points and practice the lifts under comp rules for the last couple of weeks..

Then the most important part post comp.. the evaluation.. look at what you did and where you can improve.. for the next one..

Kudos for putting your hand up and saying "i'm going to compete" now we just need to get you there and hit some PB's!
SFW!

Good luck on the day Grahamilyavich and make sure they spell your name right at the competition - whatever periodisation / training you do make sure you enjoy yourself on the day. hey I fell over backwards on my opening squat at my first full comp and couldnt budge my opening deadlift ha ha ha so whatever goes wrong on the day it cant get worse than that and hey I still had a blast on the day despite that.

Cheers for the advice :)

Next few weeks will be limited to squats and rotator cuff exercises unfortunately, but should manage a decent run into the comp :) Particularly now Eje is on my back about eating and sleeping haha