• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GYMS kicked out

i have to admit a bit ridiculous. All these gyms want people to get results and yet they won't let us push ourselves to the max! Maybe we should just all go gyms where the weights only stop at 35KG, (Jetts lol), that way we won't have to drop them. Anyway i'm at Coops now on the northside of brisbane and they are really cool. The trainers are units and are always willing to help with a spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some time last year when my FF(finance first) gym changed managers I had a little run with the new PT manager. I was setting up for deadlifts with only socks on(never wear shoes) and he came over and spoke to me just as I was about to lift off. I was fuming that he did this, all he did was whinge about how i'm not allowed to walk around with no shoes on.

I've been doing this for almost 2 years at this place, when there is next to no-one there so i'm not hurting anyone.

The only reason I could see for them saying anything (and it should be a simple explanation - not a rant/whinge) that not wearing shoes could possibly increase the risk of picking up or spreading a fungal infection if you had one, so for the benefit of peoples health & safety could you please wear shoes. - Although! I never seem them going off at people sweating all over equipment and not wiping it down... double standards much?

I know some places that will let you wear socks, but not barefoot. But they should I guess have signs etc, but I'd be more worries about picking up something in the change rooms, than the gym floor.

5cm is FBS. Just sayin'.

... I got in trouble for dropping a 30kg-40kg barbell (the one with a preset weight of 20kg) to the ground from about 50cm (by a P.T.) - He raised his voice at me. Doesn't matter that my back was too sore to lower it to the ground. He told me I was lazy and other crap. I dropped it onto a rubber mat, designed to absorb weight impacts.

Once again. That 5cm comment gets on my nerves. I hope you're trolling.

50cm... wtf. 40kg ... wtf... If youre a resonably fit dude there is no excuse for dropping a 40kg weight 50cm, period. If youre a fat mess, then there may be room for some leniency.

The only reason I could see for them saying anything (and it should be a simple explanation - not a rant/whinge) that not wearing shoes could possibly increase the risk of picking up or spreading a fungal infection if you had one, so for the benefit of peoples health & safety could you please wear shoes. - Although! I never seem them going off at people sweating all over equipment and not wiping it down... double standards much?

I know some places that will let you wear socks, but not barefoot. But they should I guess have signs etc, but I'd be more worries about picking up something in the change rooms, than the gym floor.

also, the gym is probably required under law to make you wear shoes. It's probably in your membership contract. You have no legal right to complain I imagine... obviously in practice no shoes isn't really going to make a difference.

obviously in practice no shoes isn't really going to make a difference.

I just got special permission at my gym to deadlift in socks, only if im with my trainer was the deal...as inexpereinced a deadlfifter as i am...i have to say taking my shoes off makes a significant difference for me....

I just got special permission at my gym to deadlift in socks, only if im with my trainer was the deal...as inexpereinced a deadlfifter as i am...i have to say taking my shoes off makes a significant difference for me....

i meant no practical difference to the gym.

Disclaimer: I have never gone to a commercial gym, only in my garage.

Unless you have literally failed on something like an olympic lift or deadlift, why do you want to drop them? I just place mine back down. It doesn't seem that difficult. (I don't have olympic bumpers but floor is rubber)

I was wondering this too jz.... maybe its the guys doing dumbell bench presses that drop 'em afterwards that annoys the trainers.

I know its a bit loud when i put down my deadlifts even though Im still holding onto the barbell...its hardly going to damage the equipment though.

Maybe they are more worried about us dropping the weight on someone elses foot, and likewise if you are wearing only socks, could you sue the gym if someone dropped a weight on your foot? Or if you break a toe because you kicked a barbell on the floor...

them telling you to drop weights is just them covering there arse. if something did happen and you hurt yourself tey could just throw all the blame on you, they did there part for telling you if you ignore its not then their fault if soemthing did go wrong..

i drop stuff now and then to but i understand why they tell you off for doing so as well. if its a concrete floor. drop away

got told off yesterday by some fat lady for only wearing footy socks while dealifting. im just like wtf? ive been doing this since i joined up last year. if she comes at night she'll know that the guys that do deadlift heavy do so in socks and most people squat in socks too. plus i was only staying in the cage, not like i was walking around in socks all over the gym.

i was shocked, had no idea what to say. like she DIDNT EVEN WORK there just some fat bitch with a sweat puddle around her, that she didnt even wipe down or clean afterwards. the owner of the gym never says a thing. knob jockey

oh well next week im gonna squat in socks and see what happens.

got told off yesterday by some fat lady for only wearing footy socks while dealifting. im just like wtf? ive been doing this since i joined up last year. if she comes at night she'll know that the guys that do deadlift heavy do so in socks and most people squat in socks too. plus i was only staying in the cage, not like i was walking around in socks all over the gym.

i was shocked, had no idea what to say. like she DIDNT EVEN WORK there just some fat bitch with a sweat puddle around her, that she didnt even wipe down or clean afterwards. the owner of the gym never says a thing. knob jockey

oh well next week im gonna squat in socks and see what happens.

You should of been straight up with her and told her to clean her mess up and not to talk to you while you were training and to mind her own business....I cant stand ppl like that....