• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gold Coast Barbell - 2012

Saturday sesh...

Me...
Bench Press
5x1x85kg
4x1x102kg
3x2x119kg
3x6x136kg

Walking Lunges
5 lengths

Pullups
3 sets

Bench Press
5x1x85kg
5x2x102kg
5x5x119kg
Lots of aches and pains today after last night's squats. Fun times.

John was back in again trying to shake off his holiday stiffness. He worked up to 3x3x120kg in the bench, did 3 sets of rows with the 70kg DB and then some mad prowler suicides.

Nick came in and did some quick pulls then popped his prowler cherry. He got 4.5 lengths of the carpark with 20kg before he had to quit due to nausea. A work in progress.

My brother and dad popped in did some pressing, chins, curls and had a try of the prowler. I probably shouldn't have let dad use it. I don't think it mixes well with low blood pressure and a pacemaker.

Paz had his mother-in-law in, teaching her to squat and bench then he hit some chins and bench with me and had a little play around in the Inzer HD Blast shirt. He needs to put on some more weight.

Tonight, just me and Paz...

He worked up to a 2x3x95kg bench press then hit some assistance. I think I've also managed to talk him into doing a sanctioned bench-only comp mid-year.

Me...

Squats
5x1x100kg
3x1x140kg
1x1x160kg
2x2x180kg
Easy lifts, didn't even use my belt.

Block Deadlifts
5x1x125kg
3x1x170kg
2x1x195kg
1x1x235kg
2x1x265kg
3x1x242.5kg
Broo-tal. Its amazing how hard it is to pull without my leg drive.

Shoehorned 2 days worth of sessions into one today... FML.

Squats
4x9x150kg
First day of smolov base cycle. They actually got easier each set thankfully as the first was hellish. Much collapsing was done after each set though.

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x110kg
2x3x125kg
2x3x145kg
4x2x155kg
I upped my working max to 180kg, this cycle is going to get fun.

Block Deadlifts
5x125kg
3x170kg
3x210kg
1x252.5kg
1x265kg
3x252.5kg
This got rough after squats and bench, especially the final triple. There was meant to be a final set of bench but I just realised that I forgot to do it... Doh!

Sam is on his final week of his second sheiko prep cycle. I think he's really keen to test some new maxes next week. He squatted, benched then squatted again tonight.

Paz is starting Bill Starr's Advanced 5x5 for bench and backing it up with a lot of rehab work for his back troubles and some light squatting.

Last week we had local lifter and aspiring arm-wrestler Ryan Phillips drop in. He worked in some heabvy bench with me and took the 400kg tyre out for a spin. He also coached Jon how to flip it so we finally have a 400 club going.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfj1fN4biQ[/ame]

Some of my lifts from last week
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFFkY_Cv5mg[/ame]

Awesome vids, to stop the double vids you just use the bit after the = so

youtube.com/watch?v=GYQfWJNWe3I

I have a big list of shit to do once im able to train properly again.

Tonight...

Paz came in and worked on bench and weighted chins. He's adopted Madcow 5x5 for his bench and is trying out 5/3/1 progression on his weighted chins.

Sam completed his last session of sheiko #37, next week its onto #32.

Alex had his appendix taken out last week but still came in and tried to do some benching. Mad bastard.

Jon deadlifted then did lots of conditioning work. I realised embarrasingly that despite the fact he's the heaviest bloke (114kg) in the gym he's probably better conditioned than everyone else bar Paz.

Me...

Squats
7x5x170kg
These felt as heavy as hell but the whole session was a lot less painful than Wednesday. Apparently anything over 5 reps really kills me.

Bench Press
5x90kg
5x107.5kg
2x4x125kg
2x3x135kg
2x2x145kg
2x152.5kg
4x145kg
6x135kg
6x125kg
6x117.5kg
8x107.5kg
10x100kg
12x90kg
Catching up on benching that was meant to be done on Wednesday. Again, everything was heavy as hell. To save time I combined a lot of my double sets into single sets. More bench tomorrow, plus deads and other assistance. Its going to be a long session.

Just had Jon and me in today...

He swapped to floor pressing today to allow a pec issue a chance to heal. Worked up 5x5 with 125kg then did some light DB flys.

I had a catch up day...

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x107.5kg
2x3x125kg
3x6x145kg
5x5x125kg
I compacted both of todays bench sessions into one as well as a few sets. The 3 sets with 145kg were a bit rough...

-Superset with-
SLDL
10x92.5kg
10x122.5kg
2x10x137.5kg
2x10x97.5kg
Haaaaaard. Even harder because I decided to do two sets with the max weight.

-and-
Pullups
5 sets

This week for me...

Monday

Russo-Finnish fun!

Squats
10x3x180kg
Started off pretty rough but finished with pretty good lifting speed. Was definitely brutalising my lower back in the last few sets.

Block Deadlifts
5x120kg
3x175kg
2x215kg
1x250kg
1x275kg
3x252.5kg
Everything went up relatively easy except for the final rep of 252.5 as my grip was starting to crack.

Tuesday

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x107.5kg
2x3x125kg
2x2x145kg
2x1x162.5kg
3x162.5kg
Had some tricep pain today but it at least it didn't hold me back.

DB Rows
3x10x70kg

I was meant to hit a second set of bench but ran out of time due to too many distractions. I'll catch it up tomorrow after squats.

Wednesday

My least favourite Smolov day...

Squats
4x9x160kg
Spent large amounts of time between sets rolling around on the ground gasping for breath and waiting for the back spasms to go away. If anybody else had bothered to come in and train today they might have had a good giggle.

Bench Press
5x100kg
5x117.5kg
4x5x135kg
Leftovers from last night.

Speed Deadlifts
5x4x120kg w/green bands
Quite a tough lockout for speed deads. They sure slowed down by the last set.

-ss-

Pullups
5 sets.

Pressin'

Bench Press
6x90kg
5x107.5kg
2x4x125kg
2x3x135kg
2x2x145kg
4x152.5kg
3x135kg
5x117.5kg
7x100kg
A fair bit of tricep discomfort.

Hang Clean and Press
3x40kg
3x50kg
3x60kg
1x70kg
1x80kg
2x80kg
2x1x80kg

Clean and Press
3x1x85kg

Hell day...

Squats
5x7x170kg
I was still aching from the cleans on Thursday and was down on sleep for the past two days due to assignments so this shit hurt! The sets got faster as I progressed but each left me beaten on the ground afterwards.

SLDLs
10x92.5kg
10x122.5kg
10x142.5kg
2x10x102.5kg
Needless to say my lower back didn't appreciate the further strain of stiffies.

Incline Bench
5x60kg
5x80kg
2x6x90kg
10x90kg
Squatting had aggravated my tricep somehow so these weren't enjoyable.

-ss-

Pullups
5 sets

Finished, cried a little bit, went home.

How does squatting aggravate a tricep? :confused:

And how come you're the only one training? :cool:

I have a strained tricep and really poor shoulder flexibility so my arms end up copping a lot of strain when I squat.

I'm not the only one training... I'm just being slack about updating the other fellas but I should be putting together a vid of some of their lifting tomorrow.

To keep Wingman happy for the moment...

Sam had his sheiko skills test on Thursday and posted PBs on all 3 lifts with 150/110/210 which was a 10/5/10 kg increase on lifts while still heavily fatigued from the program. Vids to come. He came in today to squat and bench and did not enjoy a moment of either!

Jon has been absent for most of this week but came in to do some accessory work including Kroc Rows 21x70kg.

Paz got back from a work trip last night then came in and hit his first heavyish back squats in ages, still with perfect form too. He plans to cycle his squat variations to avoid further back problems. He benched afterwards but fell shy of a PB due to tricep weakness. He plans to widen his grip to allow him to bench more in preparation for a competition sometime this year.

Alex has been in to bench a few times this week, still working on Smolov Jr. In other news he may need knee surgery due to a meniscus tear from his former squatting stance. He's brought a mate of his Matt with him too who will hopefully be joining us long term.

Nick came in earlier this week for some coaching in bench and deads and after adjusting his bench setup to more of a competition style bench I deduced some serious upper-back weakness affecting his deads and causing him to fold forward before he gets the bar off the ground.

Sam has some strong lifts for his weight, some solid gains from Sheiko. Your cycling smolov for squat at the moment right?

Last edited:
Smolov squats, sheiko bench, finnish deads. I'm considering calling it the Bastard Cycle, because it is.

Sam is working his way up to the 83 division and should have a pretty decent total once he packs some solid mass on.

Wow freako, that sounds like an interesting routine, what was the motivation for doing it? and is it working well?
I like learning about different routines and why others, especially advanced lifters such as yourself, are doing them.

Graeme

Wow freako, that sounds like an interesting routine, what was the motivation for doing it? and is it working well?
I like learning about different routines and why others, especially advanced lifters such as yourself, are doing them.

Graeme

I decided on this training cycle for a couple of reasons.

1/ I have a piss-poor squat.
2/ I always fail my deads at lockout.
3/ Sheiko appeared to be working really well for my bench.
4/ I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks very soon and I wanted to push myself to my limits and hope like fuck for some super-compensation.

I won't know how well its worked until I start prepping for the PA Raw Nationals at the end of March so you'll have to stay tuned.

Last night...

Squats
5x5x180kg
Was meant to do 7 sets but just ran out of mongrel. Possibly due to poor sleep and not enough calories, or possibly due to my training volume biting me in the ass.

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x107.5kg
6x125kg
2x6x145kg
3x145kg

Tonight...

Block Deadlifts
5x120kg
3x190kg
2x225kg
1x255kg
1x280kg
2ishx290kg
3x1x260kg
Was only meant to work up to 280kg but decided to have a crack at 290kg. First attempt I couldn't quite lock my knees out before my grip gave way and the second I think I only just got my shoulders back before I started to lose grip... neither would have passed in comp but they were good enough for training.

Bench Press
5x100kg
5x117.5kg
5x5x125kg
Quite a lot of wrist and elbow pain with only light weight. Lame.