• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gold Coast Barbell - 2012

Results from Raw Nationals: 215/175/260:650@91.6kg

Really happy with squats and bench, majorly disappointed in deads with only 1/3 successful attempts. I place 3rd overall but it still wasn't my best showing. On the upside I met loads of other great lifters and had a lot of fun, but now I'm rested up and its onto the next goal.

Equipped bench and a 700+ total.

I've begun the 9 week Sheiko-style bench portion of the program used by powerlifterWade Hopper for the 2006 Worlds. Its a 4x a week program incorporating close grip bench, raw bench, equipped bench and bench assistance days.

Today...

CG Bench Press
5x82.5
4x100kg
2x3x115kg
6x3x132.5kg
Its been a while since I did CG pressing and it felt wierd at first. The ROM is massive compared to my current bench ROM and width of the bench effected my elbow tuck a bit.

Log Press
Worked up to 3x90kg.
I'm going to use this or axle pressing as a shoulder movement during the program in preparation for competing in strongman later this year.

DB Bench Press
3x12x40kg
-ss-
Ring Pullups
3 sets.

Wednesday

Bench Press
6x90kg
5x107.5kg
2x4x125kg
2x3x135kg
2x2x145kg
6x135kg
4x125kg
6x117.5kg
8x107.5kg
10x90kg

Band Pullaparts
Some

Had a busy night so benched and got out.

Thursday

Axle Clean and Press
1x70kg
2x80kg
1x90kg
2x0x100kg
My first session of proper axle work. Used the mega-axle which is 48kg alone and nearly 3in thick. Its only possibly to clean it with a continental clean which was a learning experience. My first attempt went to low then then I cleaned it right onto my sternum which hurt. My next few were too high and bruised the shit out of my pecs. Finally I found the sweet spot just atop my diaphragm and then it was plain sailing from there til 100kg. Couldn't make the final clean off my diaphragm and ended up dumping the bar twice. More practice required!

Tonight

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x107.5kg
2x3x125kg
5x2x145kg
Was having major trouble with my left tri, it just didn't want to activate! I did some 2-board pressing afterwards but I just realised that I didn't hit the right weights for some fucking stupid reason. Will have to redo them tomorrow...

Axle Clean and Press
Worked up to 80kg with different axle focusing mainly on technique. This axle is thinner and its possible to clean it normally. We will apparently be using this one in Gold Coast Strongest Man II in August.

Pullups
4 sets

Everybody is getting into the new strongman gear big time. We had a big group session last Friday with a few big boys coming down to visit. We've got another group session happening Sunday morning and I'll try to get some vids from that.

So far 4 of us are keen on hitting our first SM comp in August, along with our usual powerlift comps.

Saturday

Incline Bench Press
6x80kg
4x5x100kg
-ss-
Ring Pullups
5 sets

Inverted Rows
3 sets
-ss-
EZ Bar Curls
2x12x50kg
8x60kg

Band Pullaparts
2 sets with a medium green band.

Today

Axle Clean and Press
Worked up to a new PB of 100kg. My clean is still dreadful so I switched to continental and I also really suck at push pressing. I virtually strict pressed it.

Atlas Stones
Worked up to the 111kg stone to a 1.45m platform. No contact with the platform on the way up this time, just slammed it on top pretty easily. Maybe I'll try the massive 117kg stone next week.

Vids to come.

We had another strongman session today a bit of a smaller crowd though. Scott, Sam, a new guy Kieran, 3 crossfit guys (the comp will be held at their club) and myself.

We hit axles first. Scott cleaned 135kg and pressed it for reps a few times. I was the only other person to press out 100kg (PB!) although the big crossfit guy Dave reckons he did (but I don't think he locked out). One of other crossfitter Clay cleaned it perfectly (bastard - perfect technique too) but couldn't get the lockout. Sam and the Jo (owner of the crossfit club) got 80kg (@~75kg) and Kieran worked on 65kg a few times.

Some DB work was done, I think Scott got out 80kg and Jo got 55kg but I wasn't watching too closely.

A few had a go at the yoke including Scott, Jo, Clay and Kieran.

We finished with stones. Scott repped the 117kg stone easily. Dave and I easily finished the 111kg and Clay got it after a few fights. Sam and Jo were successful with the 85kg stone and Kieran realised he needs a bit of upper back work after not being able to get the 73 far out of his lap.

On the PL front, LLoyd is getting ready to test new maxes on Monday before I put him onto a full-body 5/3/1 program with some strongman assistance. Sam has been laying off squats and deads for a while til his hips feel better but is powering on with his bench. Paz is struggling to fit his training around fatherhood but is still managing a couple of training sessions a week and will be returning to 5/3/1 next week. Brianna is also on 5/3/1 and just into her second week. He lower body lifts are easy but she's struggling to rep out as much with her pressing. Alex, Jon and Annie have absent for assorted reasons (read slack :p).

A bit slack on the updating this week...

Monday

CG Bench Press
5x85kg
4x100kg
2x4x115kg
3x125kg
3x13kg
3x135kg
3x140kg
3x145kg

DB Press
3x15x40kg
-ss-
Pullups
3 sets

Tuesday

Squats
6x5x150kg
12x100kg
Had a busy night coaching a new member so only got squats done.

Wednesday

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x110kg
2x3x125kg
2x145kg
2x150kg
2x155kg
6x135kg
4x125kg
6x110kg
8x90kg

Squats
2x12x150kg
Leftovers from last night

Dips
3 sets
-ss-
Pullups
3 sets

Last week's leftovers...

Thursday
Attempted deads but quit pretty quickly because I was still beat up from squats. I hate coming back from time off.

Saturday
Jumped into the bench shirt again. Touched and easily pressed 190, pressed out a messy 200 which clipped the uprights then repeated it again much more easily.

Monday

CG Bench Press w/red bands
5x83kg
4x100kg
2x3x115kg
6x3x125kg
Ouchy, ouchy, ouchy. It hurt like hell stabilising the weight!

Pendlay Rows
10x70kg
10x90kg
3x10x100kg
Did the final heavy sets with extra strict form. That hurt to.
Dips
3x10xbw+20kg
-ss-
Ring Pullups
3 sets

Tonight

SS Bar Good Mornings
4x5x125kg
That SS bar and I are going to be having a very rough relationship. Damn it makes shit harder!

SS Bar Squats
3x12x120kg
See above.

Axle Clean and Press
Worked up to a few singles with 95kg. Couldn't press the first attempt but was more successful afterwards. Probably failed due to yesterday's pressing.

Yoke
Worked up to 255kg, tried to do 25m but was getting crushed and couldn't even breath. Took 3 attempts to finish. Lame. I got 20m much easier last time. Lesson learnt: don't do strongman after squat day!

Stones to Platform
Hit a few reps with the 103 stone. Even managed to fall backwards on one rep. It looked like I was breakdancing with an Atlas stone.

SM after squats, never again.

What a slack **** I am... epic catch up to follow, just the main lifts.

Last Wednesday

Bench Press
8x90kg
7x100kg
6x110kg
5x117.5kg
4x125kg
2x3x135kg
2x2x144kg
2x1x155kg
2x2x144kg
2x3x135kg
4x125kg
6x117.5kg
8x110kg
10x100kg
12x90kg
The most epic bench pyramid I have performed so far. My dodgy left tricep was well and truly burnt out by the end of it.

Last Friday
Attempted squats and deads. Failed. Right glute is shot. Need to see a physio about my glute, tricep and shoulders pretty soon.

Last Saturday

Equipped Bench
Worked up to a few of doubles with 190kg to help me learn the groove a bit better.

Monday

Reverse Band Bench w/blue bands
4x180kg
5x4x200kg
Easy peasy.

Wednesday

Shirted Bench
1x160kg (2-board)
1x180kg (2-board)
2x190kg (1-board)
2x190kg
1x200kg
1x205kg
failx205kg
I attempted to decapitate myself with the final 205 attempt. I go the bar down to within a cm of my chest but was obviously too fatigued to touch then after a few seconds of hovering my forearms flipped back and I lost the bar towards face. Thank fuck for the safeties on my bench!

Tonight

Pendlay Rows
10x70kg
5x90kg
5x110kg
5x115kg
5x120kg
5x125kg
5x130kg
My glute even gives me grief during these.

Ring Pullups
3 sets
-ss-
Dips
3 sets

EZ Bar Curls
10x30kg
2x10x50kg
13x50kg

Prowler
4x20kg
3x40kg
Full lengths of the car park. Less than fun.

I attempted to decapitate myself with the final 205 attempt. I go the bar down to within a cm of my chest but was obviously too fatigued to touch then after a few seconds of hovering my forearms flipped back and I lost the bar towards face. Thank fuck for the safeties on my bench

Dude, decapitation farrrrrk. Safeties to the rescue.

Today...

Bench Press
5x90kg
4x110kg
2x3x125kg
6x3x145kg
I was suffering some serious tri fatigue after this week so the final heavy sets were more difficult than normal.

Ring Pullups
5 sets
-ss-
Band Tri Extensions
5 sets w/red band

I'm starting the peaking phase of this cycle next week so things will be getting a lot harder. Must see physio and renew anti-inflam prescription...

Long time no log...

My training has been a bit hit and miss these past few weeks with accumulated injuries becoming a problem.

I can't squat over 140kg without pain in my right glute when I lock out. I saw a physio and he suggested that it might be caused by nerve impingement in my lower back. Cue lots of rolling and stretching and forcing myself to lay off any posterior chain work as well.

My left tri was also totally locked up to the point that it was barely activating... this is not much help with benching. Cue lots more rolling and stretching.

Tonight I worked up to a couple of PR singles with 210kg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyjIU4tjFxs]210kg Equipped Bench Press - YouTube[/ame]

So you keep lifting and do singles, not smart.

Its my comp prep. I have no other choice if I want to compete. The physio said its probably an overuse injury so I have removed my 4th bench day and reduced the volume where I can but I've already put too much effort in to quit training for the comp now. I compete in just over 2 weeks so I'll just grin and bear it til then.

Please don't die ben.

also - will you take some time off after the comp? what are your rehab plans?

Its my comp prep. I have no other choice if I want to compete. The physio said its probably an overuse injury so I have removed my 4th bench day and reduced the volume where I can but I've already put too much effort in to quit training for the comp now. I compete in just over 2 weeks so I'll just grin and bear it til then.

All the best Ben.
I hope you do well.

Please don't die ben.

also - will you take some time off after the comp? what are your rehab plans?

Probably won't bench heavy for quite a while after the comp to allow my tri to heal. Lots of light try stuff and shoulder stability work though. I'm not going to try to squat, deadlift, stone lift, yoke walk, clean, etc for about 2 weeks and get stuck into my stretching and myofascial release in the mean time.