• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting back into it...

D

Doggies.bro

Hi Guys,

I am new to this website.. I am 21 years old and have experience in working out. I actually made impressive progress that I was happy with and was noticed by friends and family. I kept this up for a couple of years but I stopped due to work commitments (been over 18months since I have trained) and well I have lost all the progress I ever made!

I am super keen to get back into the gym this weekend.. Should I treat myself as a beginner all over again? I am thinking this is the best way to approach it. I can only do 3 days a week, other commitments prevent me from any more then that. I am a slim guy, so my aim is to gain weight, muscle and just a good looking body over all!

I plan to train on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.. It is a little off your Monday, Wednesday and Friday, but these days suit me best.

I am thinking a full body work out 3 x a week is the way to go..

• Bench presses 3 x 8
  • Seated military presses 3 x 8
  • Bent-over rows 3 x 8
  • Squats 3 x 8
  • Leg curls 3 x 8

So questions I have are.. how long should I stick to this basic full body workout before progressing to maybe a split routine? I will most likely be training alone so I hope I can motivate myself and get people at the gym to spot me... I am also going on a holiday for 2 weeks in mid November... This won't harm my progress too much? I imagine a two week break will be good for my body to recover maybe......

Sorry if I have asked some stupid questions but I really do feel like a newbie all over again...

Appreciate the feedback guys.

That should work, just make sure you warm up!!! After a long lay-off, you will be stiff and tight!

Thanks for your response Taurus... Will definitely incorporate a warm up.

I seem to be stressing about that fact that about 6-7 weeks into my training I will have 2 weeks off due to my holiday... Should I not worry too much about this? I don't want to lose any progress I would have made before hand...

After a lengthy layoff I think the most important thing is to re-establish the workout habit back into your life.
A full body routine 3 times a week is a good start, what you've chosen is a good foundation and only you can know when or if it's necessary to switch to a split type routine which will depend on your workout style.

as for the exercise routine you may want consider something like this, with minimal rest between sets....

Standing overhead press 3 x 8
Bench presses 3 x 8
Rows 3 x 8
Dips 2 x 8
Barbell Curls 2 x 8
Squats 3 x 8
Stiff legged deadlifts 3 x 8

Thanks for your input Darkoz and Shrek... I start tomorrow (I decided to stick to Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

My routine will be as follows:

Flat bench press 3 x 8-10
Seated Military Press 3 x 8-10
Bent over rows 3 x 8-10
Squats 3 x 8-10
Stiffed leg dead lifts 3 x 8-10
Calf raises

I will also alternate with an isolation excercise for triceps and biceps incorporated into the routine each session.. is this too much? I hope I can recover quick enough for workout # 2 on Wednesday...

Any quick suggestions for a warm up?

Thanks for your input Darkoz and Shrek... I start tomorrow (I decided to stick to Monday, Wednesday and Friday).

My routine will be as follows:

Flat bench press 3 x 8-10
Seated Military Press 3 x 8-10
Bent over rows 3 x 8-10
Squats 3 x 8-10
Stiffed leg dead lifts 3 x 8-10
Calf raises

I will also alternate with an isolation excercise for triceps and biceps incorporated into the routine each session.. is this too much? I hope I can recover quick enough for workout # 2 on Wednesday...

Any quick suggestions for a warm up?

Personally I would do normal dead lifts.

Add barbell curls, triceps get worked when benching and pressing anyway but feel free to do some tricep work and don't forget some ab work which you can also do on your days out of the gym at home

Dips and pull ups are also worth a look.

Don't matter what days you train, train when it is convenient to you.

Awesome feed back guys I really appreciate it... So yesterday I was at skirmish paintball and the legs are quite sore today. Not too sore but I can feel it from all the running around etc.

Should I exclude legs from tonights workout and give them time to recover? Or do it anyway?

It's a full body workout.. So I will do everything except for the last two workouts being for my legs. Or should I include them anyway? My legs aren't too sore.

I just mean to leave the leg exercises out of tonight's workout and complete everything else.. I don't want to train them if they should be recovering. They aren't heaps sore but I can still feel it..... Or if I should just suck it up and do it anyway?

Sorry if these questions are stupid but I am just trying to get a feel of how to approach workouts etc.

Hmm... You will be best to discern if it's legitimate doms that are really going to hinder your workout and subsequent recovery mate.

But, I would stress too much.

Perhaps you can slot them in later in the week when they are recovered?

I am just going to suck it up and do it tonight. It is more so stiff then sore I guess.. I will be glad I got through it once I am finished.

So I had my first day back yesterday and I felt good when I finished.. I definitely made the right choice!! I encountered problems with my form and technique when I got to the squats. I pretty much started squatting with nothing on the bar to focus and improve...

I feel very sore ... If I still feel sore tomorrow do I head back to the gym for workout # 2?? Or should I allow my body to fully recover.

If you're planning on sticking with the same workout (all over body) multiple times in the week then yes. Take the day off.

If you are planning to do a split routine now (not that you mentioned it), then you should be gtg tomorrow.

If you're sticking with your original routine (or the Darkoz modified version), then take a day or twos break in between.

Esp. as this is your 1st week back.

Ease into it and then up the intensity/frequency.

You will know your body and limits best, but don't forget to always be trying to better yourself. Whether that be in terms of weight increase or reps.