• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gaining weight

Counting cals was the best thing I done in regards to losing weight. Now I'm counting cals to gain weight at a steady rate to minimise fat gains.

Mick,
If your eating until your full every time and losing weight, how will you arrest the weight loss?

Same here...

The only reason I bother posting about this stuff is that the bullshit about 6 meals a day and no carbs at night and the insulin fairy and all the other BS... Left me fucking around for years wondering why nothing changed...

The key is to find an approach that puts you in a calorie deficit or excess dependant on your goals...

When you understand this relationship.... weight loss and gain is so much easier...

Gidday Mick

At times you don't seem to grasp the concepts of what your saying... Calorie dense would be less filling food...

Incidently if calorie counting didn't work on you? Was it because that approach doesn't work or because you where not counting calories accurately?

I note you have lost weight with CBL.... All succesful approaches place you in a calorie deficit by default... Whether you count the calories or use CBL or IF or KETO or any other diet out there... Its all about the deficit to lose weight or excess to gain weight...

Then we look at macros ratios and excercise to determine body composition

And then your micros for health and well being...

I quote myself here....lol.... Although in retrospect I think you might be more paleo...

My mistake on the CBL...

I quote myself here....lol.... Although in retrospect I think you might be more paleo...

My mistake on the CBL...

People have mentioned paleo a few times in another thread, not sure what it is, never heard about it to be honest or even bothered to find out what it is.

If you must have a 'label' for what I do it could probably be best described as 'low carb', but it's only low carb by accident. It is mainly eating what I consider to be 'normal foods' or 'natural foods' to some degree. Meat, eggs, dairy, cheese, salad, veggies, just what I consider normal foods, stuff that has not been 'messed with'. I try and avoid stuff that is processed such as bread and grains, soft drinks, diet soft drinks, sweets, stuff that comes in packets, biscuits, pop tarts, cakes, Maccas, etc etc.

If I go out with friends for example I will eat what ever is available, might have Chinese or a feed at the pub or pizza or what ever, what you do most of the time is what is important, not what you do sometimes.

People have mentioned paleo a few times in another thread, not sure what it is, never heard about it to be honest or even bothered to find out what it is.

If you must have a 'label' for what I do it could probably be best described as 'low carb', but it's only low carb by accident. It is mainly eating what I consider to be 'normal foods' or 'natural foods' to some degree. Meat, eggs, dairy, cheese, salad, veggies, just what I consider normal foods, stuff that has not been 'messed with'. I try and avoid stuff that is processed such as bread and grains, soft drinks, diet soft drinks, sweets, stuff that comes in packets, biscuits, pop tarts, cakes, Maccas, etc etc.

If I go out with friends for example I will eat what ever is available, might have Chinese or a feed at the pub or pizza or what ever, what you do most of the time is what is important, not what you do sometimes.

Agreed... Provided your weekly intake leads to a deficit you will lose weight...

Just gotta find a sustainable approach...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will type it in bold and then I will just copy and paste it:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS......JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT HERE IT IS AGAIN:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS

Well since I am eating till I am stuffed and no longer hungry, and then when I get hungry I eat some more, how and why would I want to try and double the amount of food I eat:confused::confused:

Thats like saying well double the amount of food you eat when counting calories and see how you go...makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense mick. If I double my amount of food I will gain weight. If you double you food on low carb you will gain weight. Eating low carb doesn't make you lose weight.

Eating low carb "natural" foods has nothing to do with the reason why you are losing weight. Eating below maintenance calories is 100% the reason why you are losing weight. Just because you are not counting calories doesn't mean you are not eating below maintenance. To lose weight you must be.

It makes perfect sense mick. If I double my amount of food I will gain weight. If you double you food on low carb you will gain weight. Eating low carb doesn't make you lose weight.

Eating low carb "natural" foods has nothing to do with the reason why you are losing weight. Eating below maintenance calories is 100% the reason why you are losing weight.

so if insulin is the hormone that pushes food into cells and insulin level is raised less frequently...?

so if insulin is the hormone that pushes food into cells and insulin level is raised less frequently...?

This over thinks things... While there is a minor effect...

Do it in a calorie excess and you wont lose weight period...

The more important thing to stick to is a sustainable approach that leads you into a cal deficit or excess for a prolonged period of time...its the act of achieving a long term approach that matters most...

Insulin shuttles nutrients into the cells but that's only a small part of the whole 24 hour picture. The rest of the time when you are not eating the body is producing glucagon to release nutrients from the cells to keep blood sugar stable.

If you are eating below maintenance calories overall you will be burning more nutrients than you are pushing into cells. It's the overall picture than matters not the immediate insulin spike.

The body is actually much more efficient at storing fats you eat as body fat than storing carbs as body fat.

Eating low carb "natural" foods has nothing to do with the reason why you are losing weight. Eating below maintenance calories is 100% the reason why you are losing weight. Just because you are not counting calories doesn't mean you are not eating below maintenance. To lose weight you must be.

Mate you must just love arguing for the sake of it, if someone eats till they no longer want to eat, ie till they are full and no longer hungry at every meal yet still lose weight each and every week why the fuck would they want to double what they eat??? That is just retarded.

Mate you must just love arguing for the sake of it, if someone eats till they no longer want to eat, ie till they are full and no longer hungry at every meal yet still lose weight each and every week why the fuck would they want to double what they eat??? That is just retarded.

I like arguing, what's your point?

You like making retarded statements with no proof (grain = plastic).

I was making the point that its the amount of calories you are eating that is the reason why you are losing weight. Not eating low carb natural style.

Big Mick - CBL is not for you. Just take my ice-cream with warm pop tart and maple syrup filled word for it.

LOL at mass thread hijack!

You are in Japan. There is no way I would waste a single calorie on a mass gainer
katsudon
katsu curry
ramen
sushi
yakiniku
gyudon
buta man

Eat all of em. If not gaining a small amount of weight (can check each day and average over time or just every week or so) add more meal frequency if she can't eat much or increase portion sizes.

Or just try this girl's method :p
Natsuko "Gal" Sone - YouTube

And yes, lift some heavy stuff from time to time. Any beginners program will do.

I lived off nothing but these Pork Curry Buns for days when I was backpacking. Delicious! About 100Y and 200ish cals.
345149532_b402cf398f_z.jpg

Now I want Japanese food.

Seriously, ok from someone who's doing it RIGHT NOW ...

get her to increase the amount of kcals every week, fortnight or few weeks, depending on how she is going.

You don't need to double her food intake overnight. that is actually counterproductive.

Just gradual increases. This helps you adjust to more food over time.

If it works for me, I guarantee it will work for anyone.

BTW, YES, it's working a treat. This way she will also hopefully gain weight steadily (and hopefully not too much fat in the process) and increase her metabolic capacity (hey buzz term lol).

Start from her maintenance kcals and take it from there.

it's not that hard.

the insulin thing is largely BS as insulin plays a role both in fat storage and fat mobilisation so blllttthhh.
Low carb is also BS ... total energy is the key.

Macros will be important if she is more carb or fat sensitive or has any particular reactions to food.

The more carbs she can handle to maintain later, the better, if she ever needs to drop some fat later.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will type it in bold and then I will just copy and paste it:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS......JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT HERE IT IS AGAIN:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS

Well since I am eating till I am stuffed and no longer hungry, and then when I get hungry I eat some more, how and why would I want to try and double the amount of food I eat:confused::confused:

Thats like saying well double the amount of food you eat when counting calories and see how you go...makes no sense.

I disagree, the same thing works for 9/10 people, there will always be the odd person who fucks it up for everyone.

Viv: they are from 7/11 and $1. Can't complain :p Come in a variety of flavours but curry is the best. Although, I did find a chocolate pudding flavoured one once. Rare as hen's teeth!

Ask a Japanese person what a low carb diet is...LOL.
hikui no tansuikabutsu ha nan desu ka? :p

Viv: they are from 7/11 and $1. Can't complain :p Come in a variety of flavours but curry is the best. Although, I did find a chocolate pudding flavoured one once. Rare as hen's teeth!

Ask a Japanese person what a low carb diet is...LOL.
hikui no tansuikabutsu ha nan desu ka? :p

you forget, Italian here ... foregoing the bread and pasta has been interesting :eek:

lolz on 7/11

haha.

Ok, they are probably not quite comparable to your culinary brilliance but convenience stores in Japan are light years ahead of ours and actually have a heap of good stuff! No 12hr old meat pies though.

Like jzpowahz said, you are in Japan. The land of limitless calories everywhere. Have you been at train stations with the millions of awesome smelling bakeries? Buy your girl a cake. etc... It's so easy to get fat in Japan. Cheap food, everywhere. Ask my woman, she's Japanese and she's struggling to keep her weight down.

Your wife just doesn't eat much... I'm pretty sure that all the Japanese women secretly envy her, since for some reason all of them want to be super skinny.