• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gaining weight

No need to skip them, they are a great tool for people that want to put on weight. Just buy some protein powder, WPC will be perfect for gaining weight (try no bull supplements or ebay or similar) and buy a few KG of dextrose powder (home brew shop, Big W, etc) then mix it up yourself. 40grams of WPC and 30-50grams of dextrose in 250-350ml of milk.

Being mindful that you don't need protein powder, dextrose or any other crap...

No specific food is perfect for gaining weight... All you need to do is achieve excess calories.... and then identify what works for you in terms of lean mass gains versus fat gains...

Naturally calorie dense foods will work well for adding weight if they assist you to achieve a calorie excess...

In b4 drink 4 litres of milk a day...

Well no may be not eat anything...it appears no matter what advise is given someone will sprout about some BS that you can eat pop tarts and be healthy, and that all food is good. Might work for some, but the majority of people need to follow a strict diet of specific foods to achieve specific goals that they want to achieve.

FFS sick of the BS sprouted on this forum at times. The op asked for assistance and about weight gain shakes.

So a few weight gainer shakes as above will greatly assist in gaining weight as some people can only eat so much food in a day. And calorie dense foods tend to fill people up even faster. Used to train with a guy years ago who could not put on weight no matter what (weight 65kg) used to have KFC, pizza, steak etc etc. at the end he was having all that as well as 2-3 2000 callorie shakes per day. And only then did he start putting on weight. And to my amazement he only put on lean muscle and not an ounce of fat.

While I was doing the same training and had to watch what I eat so I did not put on fat.

Mick you are the one the sprouts the most nutritional BS of anyone. eg grains are equivalent to plastic. So don't get on your high horse just yet.

Weight gain shakes have a purpose but they are as much a junk food as all the food you are so against. They are just a protein shake full of sugar. I would much rather make my own high calorie food or drink than have a weight gain shake full of dextrose but that's up to the person.

Mick you are the one the sprouts the most nutritional BS of anyone. eg grains are equivalent to plastic. So don't get on your high horse just yet.

Weight gain shakes have a purpose but they are as much a junk food as all the food you are so against. They are just a protein shake full of sugar. I would much rather make my own high calorie food or drink than have a weight gain shake full of dextrose but that's up to the person.

As above in my original post, if a person is having trouble putting on weight they need to add calories, if they are already eating a lot, may be they need to eat and squeeze in 2-3 weight gain shakes between meals to achieve their particular goal. My own goals however is quite different, and a weight gain shake would be poison to ME and my goals, as I could not think of anything worse to have for MY goals.

For my goals I need to have no dextrose, and I stick to lowest carb content WPI for my additional protein needs, as well as tuna, steak, chicken, pork, salad, vegetables etc. I eat as much of this food as I like, till I am stuffed and no longer hungry, I do not eat excess carbs, grains, bread, processed foods that come in packets, cakes, pop tarts, soft drinks, diet soft drinks (which taste disgusting anyway) etc, this as discussed before has been my only dietary change this year, and guess what I have dropped another 3kg since we have had this silly discussion last time, without once counting carbs or considering the amount of food I eat.

So just because weight gainer shakes are not my thing for my goals does not mean that they are not suitable for the person and his wife who started this thread, as a matter of fact a couple of shakes a day could be just what the doctor ordered for these two, add some weight training 3-4 times a week and they could just possibly achieve their goals of adding some lean mass and shape to their bodies.

As above in my original post, if a person is having trouble putting on weight they need to add calories, if they are already eating a lot, may be they need to eat and squeeze in 2-3 weight gain shakes between meals to achieve their particular goal. My own goals however is quite different, and a weight gain shake would be poison to ME and my goals, as I could not think of anything worse to have for MY goals.

For my goals I need to have no dextrose, and I stick to lowest carb content WPI for my additional protein needs, as well as tuna, steak, chicken, pork, salad, vegetables etc. I eat as much of this food as I like, till I am stuffed and no longer hungry, I do not eat excess carbs, grains, bread, processed foods that come in packets, cakes, pop tarts, soft drinks, diet soft drinks (which taste disgusting anyway) etc, this as discussed before has been my only dietary change this year, and guess what I have dropped another 3kg since we have had this silly discussion last time, without once counting carbs or considering the amount of food I eat.

So just because weight gainer shakes are not my thing for my goals does not mean that they are not suitable for the person and his wife who started this thread, as a matter of fact a couple of shakes a day could be just what the doctor ordered for these two, add some weight training 3-4 times a week and they could just possibly achieve their goals of adding some lean mass and shape to their bodies.

First I have had a lot of people tell me they eat a lot and can't put on weight but in reality they don't eat a lot.

Me I would prefer chocolate ice cream to a weight gainer but that's up to the person.

I've lost weight both ways. I did low carb, strictly no dirty food for a year or two. Now I count calories and eat what ever I want and am leaner and stronger than before. Both ways can work, but for me low carb is not sustainable or as effective long term. I actually found it very easy to put on weight eating low carb if I didn't watch my volume of food.

So a few weight gainer shakes as above will greatly assist in gaining weight as some people can only eat so much food in a day. And calorie dense foods tend to fill people up even faster.

Gidday Mick

At times you don't seem to grasp the concepts of what your saying... Calorie dense would be less filling food...

Incidently if calorie counting didn't work on you? Was it because that approach doesn't work or because you where not counting calories accurately?

I note you have lost weight with CBL.... All succesful approaches place you in a calorie deficit by default... Whether you count the calories or use CBL or IF or KETO or any other diet out there... Its all about the deficit to lose weight or excess to gain weight...

Then we look at macros ratios and excercise to determine body composition

And then your micros for health and well being...

First I have had a lot of people tell me they eat a lot and can't put on weight but in reality they don't eat a lot.

Me I would prefer chocolate ice cream to a weight gainer but that's up to the person.

I've lost weight both ways. I did low carb, strictly no dirty food for a year or two. Now I count calories and eat what ever I want and am leaner and stronger than before. Both ways can work, but for me low carb is not sustainable or as effective long term. I actually found it very easy to put on weight eating low carb if I didn't watch my volume of food.

Well it looks like your body works different to mine.

I tried counting calories and it did not work, left me hungry all the time and still lost no weight, my maintenance calories were worked out to be 2760/day, tried having that and doing cardio and lost nothing.

Dropped to 2500, nothing, 2200 dropped a bit and stalled, 2000 drooped a bit and was always hungry, then stalled again, 1800 and I was feeling like I was going to die, and still not losing any decent weight, before xmas last year gave up and just ate and trained and went to 123kg:eek:

Started cutting out bread and carbs and processed foods, eat as mentioned above and eat till I am stuffed when ever I am hungry, will snack on cold meats, chicken, cheese etc between meals, for example had a huge breakfast this morning, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, then about 1pm had half a chicken, then a huge steak, greek salad, and huge plate of veggies (could not even finnish it), will have a protein shake before bed. Eat like that most days, never even consider the amount of calories I eat, feel full and satisfied, never go hungry ever this year yet.

And as of this morning I am sitting on 108kg, aiming to get to around 100kg and then adjust from there depending on what the mirror tells me.

Really want to give CBL a run once I get as lean as I want to be, see if it will work for me, if it does not, I do now finally know what does work for ME:)

Gidday Mick

At times you don't seem to grasp the concepts of what your saying... Calorie dense would be less filling food...

Incidently if calorie counting didn't work on you? Was it because that approach doesn't work or because you where not counting calories accurately?

I note you have lost weight with CBL.... All succesful approaches place you in a calorie deficit by default... Whether you count the calories or use CBL or IF or KETO or any other diet out there... Its all about the deficit to lose weight or excess to gain weight...

Then we look at macros ratios and excercise to determine body composition

And then your micros for health and well being...

Calorie dense food is by nature more filling, try having cream, chocolate, scrambled eggs or any other really dense heavy foods, you generally only need a little bit to feel full, I can eat a crap load of salad or veggies, and still be hungry.

Calorie counting does not work for me because it did not work, just left me hungry in the end, the body can easily adjust to surviving on less calories, as it can become very efficient to a point where you have to starve yourself to show any losses.

It's not as easy as calorie deficit and you lose weight, as the weight you might be losing could very well be muscle mass, when really you want to lose fat and gain muscle. I have not tried CBL yet, but want to do so in the future, I have read the book, and it could work, but it also explains why losing weight is not as simple as 'eat less', and could actually be 'eat more, but the right foods at the right time'(I know some here say it's bro science and does not make a difference, but CBL, if it works would be proof that timing does make a difference)

You body is quite easily able to adjust to survive on very little calories without losing any weight at all, as you cut calories, your body becomes more efficient at using them, rather than letting go of the fat on your body.

Every person is different, some need weight gainer shakes, others need to eat less, other need to follow a specific plan that works for them.

If it was as easy as eat less and lose weight there would be a lot less overweight people out there, and I should have lost heaps last year, but I didn't.

If you have not read CBL and/or Carbnite I can recommend reading it, as it explains quite well why a lot of diets are destined to fail.

Last edited:
Calorie dense food is by nature more filling, try having cream, chocolate, scrambled eggs or any other really dense heavy foods, you generally only need a little bit to feel full, I can eat a crap load of salad or or veggies, and still be hungry.
/QUOTE]

Totally wrong. Try eating 2000 calories of chocolate vs 2000 calories of chicken breast and salad.

Calorie dense food is so much easier to get a heap of calories down.

Well it looks like your body works different to mine.

I tried counting calories and it did not work, left me hungry all the time and still lost no weight, my maintenance calories were worked out to be 2760/day, tried having that and doing cardio and lost nothing.

Dropped to 2500, nothing, 2200 dropped a bit and stalled, 2000 drooped a bit and was always hungry, then stalled again, 1800 and I was feeling like I was going to die, and still not losing any decent weight, before xmas last year gave up and just ate and trained and went to 123kg:eek:

Started cutting out bread and carbs and processed foods, eat as mentioned above and eat till I am stuffed when ever I am hungry, will snack on cold meats, chicken, cheese etc between meals, for example had a huge breakfast this morning, eggs, mushrooms, bacon, then about 1pm had half a chicken, then a huge steak, greek salad, and huge plate of veggies (could not even finnish it), will have a protein shake before bed. Eat like that most days, never even consider the amount of calories I eat, feel full and satisfied, never go hungry ever this year yet.

And as of this morning I am sitting on 108kg, aiming to get to around 100kg and then adjust from there depending on what the mirror tells me.

Really want to give CBL a run once I get as lean as I want to be, see if it will work for me, if it does not, I do now finally know what does work for ME:)

I lose weight on 4000 calories normally and 5000 in the footy season.

If counting calories left you hungry it was the food choices that were the problem not the counting calories. I could blow my 4000 calorie a day in chocolate and chips before 10am and be hungry for the rest of the day. Counting calories doesn't magically make food less filling.

There is nothing special about eating low carb that makes you lose weight

Mick is right, it's not always as simple as that especially as you get older

Agreed.... As you get older the furnace that burns your cals slows down...

Not sure how that makes Mick right...The application of some much of what he says is so wrong... Perhaps I'm reading it wrong?

I want mick to explain if low carb is the secret to losing weight and counting calories does not work. Double the amount of food you are eating on low carb and tell me what happens.

Counting cals was the best thing I done in regards to losing weight. Now I'm counting cals to gain weight at a steady rate to minimise fat gains.

Mick,
If your eating until your full every time and losing weight, how will you arrest the weight loss?

I lose weight on 4000 calories normally and 5000 in the footy season.

If counting calories left you hungry it was the food choices that were the problem not the counting calories. I could blow my 4000 calorie a day in chocolate and chips before 10am and be hungry for the rest of the day. Counting calories doesn't magically make food less filling.

There is nothing special about eating low carb that makes you lose weight

Well if I was eating 4000 calories and losing weight of course I would not go hungry, try eating 1800 and not feeling hungry all day. Nothing to do with food choices, just different metabolisms. It is not that hard to understand is it:confused:

I had a training partner that was having 4000-5000 calories a day and not gaining a single gram of body weight at 65kg......as mentioned in my earlier post here, he had to add 2-3 2000 calorie shakes per day, so he was consuming 8000-10000 calories per day, and he started putting on LEAN weight with not an ounce of fat, he was shredded, it used to kill me:D. If I had half that much I would be on biggest loser as a contestant:rolleyes:

So once again, what works for one person will not work for another as we are all different.

I want mick to explain if low carb is the secret to losing weight and counting calories does not work. Double the amount of food you are eating on low carb and tell me what happens.

over a year, so 3000 cals /day of donuts and 3000 cals/day of beef will have the same effect on your weight & body comp?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I will type it in bold and then I will just copy and paste it:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS......JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT HERE IT IS AGAIN:

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT AND WHAT WORKS FOR SOME WILL NOT WORK FOR OTHERS

Double the amount of food you are eating on low carb and tell me what happens.

Well since I am eating till I am stuffed and no longer hungry, and then when I get hungry I eat some more, how and why would I want to try and double the amount of food I eat:confused::confused:

Thats like saying well double the amount of food you eat when counting calories and see how you go...makes no sense.

Counting cals was the best thing I done in regards to losing weight. Now I'm counting cals to gain weight at a steady rate to minimise fat gains.

Mick,
If your eating until your full every time and losing weight, how will you arrest the weight loss?

So it looks like it is working for you, that is great.

This is an almost pointless question. Have a think about it for a second and the answer will come to you:rolleyes:

Just in case you did not think of it, I would assume that once there is no more body fat to get rid off, you will stop losing it.