• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Full Body vs Split Routines

Agree totally, IMO for a natty lifter that isnt at the absolute edge of their genetic potential ( 5+ years of solid training and progress ) the maximum amount of "splitting" a workout needs is an upper and lower day with possibly alternating deads and squats on the lower day so
-Monday A1 ( squats + assistance which could include a deadlift variation at a lighter weight )
-Tuesday B ( Upper )
-Weds rest
-Thursday A2 ( Deads + assistance which could include squats at a lighter weight )
-Friday B ( Upper )
-Weekend rest or mobility/cardio etc.

I never got anything out of splitting my training up at all. I pretty much always full body every day. I can see the benefit of splitting it up in future though. Like Tom Platz said he could only squat once every 14 days... he was hitting 700 odd pounds, 20 repping 400 on the regular and 50 repping 315. That takes a lot to recover from lol

I think total number of reps over a month is what you should be looking at personally. I don't think frequency matters at all. A dude that competes needs to practice the events they compete at as often as possible though

I never got anything out of splitting my training up at all. I pretty much always full body every day. I can see the benefit of splitting it up in future though. Like Tom Platz said he could only squat once every 14 days... he was hitting 700 odd pounds, 20 repping 400 on the regular and 50 repping 315. That takes a lot to recover from lol

I think total number of reps over a month is what you should be looking at personally. I don't think frequency matters at all. A dude that competes needs to practice the events they compete at as often as possible though

That's good 0ni.

I only list the main exercise usually
Today I did push presses (which is very much a full body exercise) and bent over rows
Yesterday was bench and deadlifts
Bro'd it up with bench only on friday, thursday was deficit pulls, front squats and push presses, etc

Most of the major muscle groups are hit here. I guess you can nitpick and say that push presses and bent over rows are not that much for lower body, but once you start getting heavy driving the bar off the chest takes a lot off effort and I sometimes get sore in the hips and feet from them.

I like what you describe Oni.. looks like you're doing the main lifts once to twice per week. Do you bother with light/heavy alternative days?

I like what you describe Oni.. looks like you're doing the main lifts once to twice per week. Do you bother with light/heavy alternative days?

I have a light day once a week
I think this better than having the day off or making it heavy, like the contrast is more important than just taking it off

I dont think anyone else would call "push press and bent over row" a full bosy workout. But hey, you call it what you want.

This is why I hate body part splits.

Tell me what push press is supposed to go in.

Deadlifts. If your not sore all over after them youre probably not doing trying.

All the good exercises involve many muscle groups.

Last edited: