• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Full Body vs Split Routines

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Strength section, regardless it's two sides of the same coin.

Full Body Routines vs. Splits

The question often arises, especially from beginners, about what type of routine to use. Your buddy told you to use a full body routine, but the muscle mags suggest a 5-day "bodybuilder" split. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but there is so much information out there that sorting through what to do can be difficult.

This is some of my opinion on the subject, and maybe it'll help a few people out.

Full Body Routines:

In my opinion, this is the place for a beginner to start. I have many years of lifting experience, and have pretty much always used some form of bodybuilding split routine. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have begun with a good full-body routine, built around the compound lifts, done 3 times per week. When you are a beginner you don't generally have the muscular strength to work intensely enough, or with enough volume, to require as much recovery time as someone who is stronger or more experienced. If you are a young beginner, on top of that, you have very good recovery abilities due to high hormone levels. So, because you are recovered relatively quickly after each workout, you want to stimulate each muscle group more often to induce strength and growth.

Another reason to start with a full body program is that this gives you the opportunity to learn and practice the basic lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc. Whether your goal is bodybuilding, strength athlete, sports, or just remaining fit, these really ought to form the basis of any routine. No matter what path you choose to "branch out" on later, these core lifts will serve you well.

2-Day Split Routines:

So the next question becomes: when should I think about split routines? In very simple terms, the answer is: when full body routines become too much. Usually, as you get stronger, it becomes very difficult to maintain enough energy to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. all on the same day.
You may also find that you want to add in a few isolation exercises to bring up your weak areas, or you may want to begin focusing more on each core lift. Another issue is recovery; as you get stronger, you are able to work out more intensely, and that means longer recovery times. So at that point, it makes sense to "split" things up by only doing a part of your previous full routine on any given day.

A logical place to make your first split is into an Upper / Lower type routine. This will have you doing your upper body work like bench press, rows, overhead pressing on 1 day, and your lower body work like squats on another day. Another way to go would be a "push/pull" type split where you do all your pulling exercises (rows, deads) on one day and your pushing exercises (squats, overhead press, bench) on another day.

Exactly how you do it is up to you, but the point is to divide the workload per session. This will give you more time (and volume) per body part, and also give you a bit more recovery before you work that muscle again. Most people will typically cycle through a 2-day split like these twice per week. So instead of every muscle being stimulated 3 times per week with the full body, now it's twice per week with the 2-day split.

3+ Day Splits:

3, 4, 5 (or more!) day splits come in when you again feel the need to divide your workload to match your recovery abilities, or increase the amount of work you want to do on specific muscles or lifts. Generally, these type of splits are mostly bodybuilding related, but even strength athletes may chose to split so they can work on speed lifts one day, strength work another, etc.

At this point many lifters will only hit each muscle group once per week. This has the advantage of letting you really hammer a muscle group with a lot of weight and volume, and then give it plenty of time to recover while you're bringing the pain to the next group. Your full body effort is broken down into segments that are manageable from a workload, energy, and recovery standpoint.

If you are an "experienced" (older) lifter with decreased recovery abilities (we all ain't as young as we used to be), this type of split often is useful for staying healthy due to the increased recovery time per body part. The kids might not think it's important, but your tendons might.

There are so many variations of splits that I won't even attempt to detail all the possibilities. If you follow the advice in this post, by the time you need a multiple day split, you'll know your body, your goals, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

Final Thoughts:

I believe it's a logical notion to start with a full body routine, and begin splitting only when you feel the need to increase your recovery or increase your volume. If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.

Hopefully, this gives some food for thought to help you decide what type of routine you should use. Ultimately, however, it's worth saying that you can do fine with any well-designed program in which you are progressing ie: adding weight to the bar or getting that extra rep or two, even if you begin with a split routine right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Strength section, regardless it's two sides of the same coin.

This is the statement that actually made me think.

Can't agree more with what I'm finding as a beginner - I don't need a whole bloody week for my xyz muscles to be ready again

Can't agree more with what I'm finding as a beginner - I don't need a whole bloody week for my xyz muscles to be ready again

Yeah.

I can't imagine doing everything only once a week.... Wasn't this popularised by Dorian Yates? Not saying he was the first....

Anyone had good success after x many years of training going only once a week?

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Currently doing a three day split, training each muscle group twice a week Abs 6 times a week.

Monday : Chest/Back/Abs
Tuesday : Shoulders/Arms/Abs
Wednesday : Legs/Abs

Repeat

Sundays off.

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Currently doing a three day split, training each muscle group twice a week Abs 6 times a week.

Monday : Chest/Back/Abs
Tuesday : Shoulders/Arms/Abs
Wednesday : Legs/Abs

Repeat

Sundays off.

The thing is Mick the important aspect of any routine especially a split routine is to allow adequate recovery and even though you're working a different muscle group on those days, by working out 6 consecutive days this may not be allowing your body to rest and recover from your previous day's workout.

The thing is Mick the important aspect of any routine especially a split routine is to allow adequate recovery and even though you're working a different muscle group on those days, by working out 6 consecutive days this may not be allowing your body to rest and recover from your previous day's workout.

Was thinking the same thing before I started, but have actually been making good gains while on this routine but have only been doing it for a short while so far.

Thought I might have recovery issues, but been eating well, having plenty of quality protein (some real protein powder instead of milk powder I used to have) and plenty of rest and so far so good, Sundays is a great day and I generally sleep for a few hours.

I seriously believe that part of my recovery issues in the past have been due to lack of protein, as I was relying on 2-3 shakes a day, that were giving me nothing, I now have 2-3 'real' protein shakes, generally one for breakfast, one post workout and one before bed, 30 gram serving, plus meat, veggies, salad and water as real meals. I don't always have the Post workout, as often I eat dinner not long after training instead of having a shake.

What do you guys do to work around DL and squat days affecting eachother?
I'm finding it a bit awkward coordinating a 2-3 day split routine. If I've squatted a day or two beforehand, my deadlift will suffer, and vice versa if I was due to squat a day or two after DL.

Gets a bit awkward coordinating a 2-3 day split routine because of deadlifts. If I've squatted a day or two beforehand, my deadlift will suffer, and vice versa if I was due to squat a day or two after DL.
What do you guys do to work around this?

About to add dead lifts back into my routine, have not done them for a short while, this does become a problem depending on your goals. This is what stopped me from doing a whole body routine, could not really squat and deadlift the same day, was too much for my old body.

If you are training for strength only, then you would need to structure your workouts differently, if you are training for body building only your dead lift total suffering a bit should not really matter as long as the muscles are adequately stimulated.

Just to add, I'm not advocating either type of routine, they all have their pros and cons and what it ultimately comes down to is individual preference

About to add dead lifts back into my routine, have not done them for a short while, this does become a problem depending on your goals. This is what stopped me from doing a whole body routine, could not really squat and deadlift the same day, was too much for my old body.

If you are training for strength only, then you would need to structure your workouts differently, if you are training for body building only your dead lift total suffering a bit should not really matter as long as the muscles are adequately stimulated.

Good points imo. I'm training for strength and am experimenting with a split cycle like this
1a: bench, squat, tris
2: deadlift, pulls, bis
1b: bench, ohp, tris

Haven't been consistent enough yet to draw any adequate conclusion except that squat / dl inhibit eachother somewhat and DLing twice a week can be a bit taxing
Have been thinking about alternating between light and heavy bench & DL as they each get worked every second workout (i love DL)... But not wanting to overcomplicate

What do you guys do to work around DL and squat days affecting eachother?
I'm finding it a bit awkward coordinating a 2-3 day split routine. If I've squatted a day or two beforehand, my deadlift will suffer, and vice versa if I was due to squat a day or two after DL.

I do a full body program and have for a long time, splits just dont work for me as i find the low frequency of once a week squatting and benching isnt enough to keep my body "in the groove" to make consistent progression.

I squat on Tuesdays and Saturdays and Deadlift on Thursdays, as far as your deadlift or squat suffering you just need to use common sense with the weights your moving, dont go to failure ever on deadlifts or squats if you want to make week to week progress and you will find that one day rest between the 2 lifts will be more than enough to not have any overlapping effect.

My routine looks a bit like this; I run 5/3/1 style progression on squats, bench and military press.

Tuesday, Squats 5`s, Bench 5`s, WG chins, DB Bench press, Bent BB rows, tri`s

Thursday, Deadlifts work up to a heavy triple, Military press 5`s, DB rows, Hanging leg raises, Bi`s

Saturdays, Squats 3`s, bench 3`s, WG chins, Good mornings, Bent over rows, core work

Simple and effective, throw some cardio in there in the form of KB complexes, tabata BW stuff and 2.4km runs etc. here and there but always listen to my body and dont over reach so it doesnt affect recovery.

I do a full body program and have for a long time, splits just dont work for me as i find the low frequency of once a week squatting and benching isnt enough to keep my body "in the groove" to make consistent progression.

I squat on Tuesdays and Saturdays and Deadlift on Thursdays, as far as your deadlift or squat suffering you just need to use common sense with the weights your moving, dont go to failure ever on deadlifts or squats if you want to make week to week progress and you will find that one day rest between the 2 lifts will be more than enough to not have any overlapping effect.

My routine looks a bit like this; I run 5/3/1 style progression on squats, bench and military press.

Tuesday, Squats 5`s, Bench 5`s, WG chins, DB Bench press, Bent BB rows, tri`s

Thursday, Deadlifts work up to a heavy triple, Military press 5`s, DB rows, Hanging leg raises, Bi`s

Saturdays, Squats 3`s, bench 3`s, WG chins, Good mornings, Bent over rows, core work

Simple and effective, throw some cardio in there in the form of KB complexes, tabata BW stuff and 2.4km runs etc. here and there but always listen to my body and dont over reach so it doesnt affect recovery.

Nice.

I just think that "split's" shouldn't be viewed as splitting body parts, it just ain't going to happen, the body works, rest eats and sleeps as one.

Train it as one.

But nothing wrong with viewing a split as means of emphasisng a body part/s, that'll work.