• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Food pyramid

Usually these anti grain arguments end up with the cows get sick on grain, grass is perfect for them crap.

Here is a tip for you. Grass is not the perfect feed for cows, I so wish it was, it would make my job a lot easier. Cows can and do get sick and even die from grazing grass.

Does it have anything to do with the type of grass the cow is eating Baz?

Does it have anything to do with the type of grass the cow is eating Baz?

Yep different types of grass have different levels of nutrients but also the same type of grass will differ depending on the time of year and how it is grazed. Then the nutrients the cow requires depends on the stage of lactation.

Yep different types of grass have different levels of nutrients but also the same type of grass will differ depending on the time of year and how it is grazed. Then the nutrients the cow requires depends on the stage of lactation.

Summer grass (of the right kind) is the best for milking etc (when feeding on grass), isn't it, Bazz?
Just thinking about my rellies in Italy ... they move the cows up the mountain to a sweet spot that has the right type of clover or whatever it is for the whole summer.

The milk and cheeses are amazing from that time, especially the ricotta.

I get my beef direct from a local farmer (grass fed); much nicer than crap sold in shops and not much dearer.

Summer grass (of the right kind) is the best for milking etc (when feeding on grass), isn't it, Bazz?
Just thinking about my rellies in Italy ... they move the cows up the mountain to a sweet spot that has the right type of clover or whatever it is for the whole summer.

The milk and cheeses are amazing from that time, especially the ricotta.

Not here. Over in Europe it might be because it is so cold and shit though winter spring they can't actually the cows out in the paddocks and they get the milder summers. It makes sense that their ideal conditions would be later in the season than us.

Here grass is best in about October. Fast growing, high protein and high digestibility grass.

Summer grass is the worst quality here. The heat really knocks the grass about and you get low protein, very high fibre(too high) low digestibility grass.

Not here. Over in Europe it might be because it is so cold and shit though winter spring they can't actually the cows out in the paddocks and they get the milder summers. It makes sense that their ideal conditions would be later in the season than us.

Here grass is best in about October. Fast growing, high protein and high digestibility grass.

Summer grass is the worst quality here. The heat really knocks the grass about and you get low protein, very high fibre(too high) low digestibility grass.

That makes sense. Plus that make the milk poorer quality too.
Also, our summer grass is actually a bad food choice on the basis it would be environmentally bad ... all the resulting methane :eek:

just thought of that with all the fibre

Bazza, given what you said about seasons, will the quality of meat i purchase direct from farmers differ (say end of summer to end of spring).

That makes sense. Plus that make the milk poorer quality too.
Also, our summer grass is actually a bad food choice on the basis it would be environmentally bad ... all the resulting methane :eek:

just thought of that with all the fibre

With the higher fibre summer grass you usually end up with higher % fat milk and lower protein % and much lower volume of milk produced per cow.

The very high fibre and low energy of the grass in summer is very inefficient for milk production. That is why summer is usually when we feed the highest levels of grain to combat this. Grain is high energy and low fibre and we add canola meal for extra protein. This greatly improves production and efficiency and health of the cows.

Basically my aim is to use as little grain as possible and maximize the amount of grass the cows eat while keeping efficiency of production and health of cows high.

Last edited:
Bazza, given what you said about seasons, will the quality of meat i purchase direct from farmers differ (say end of summer to end of spring).

Probably would struggle to notice the difference but the general rule is that the meat tastes better when they are gaining weight on high quality feed.

In saying that I would guess the producer would be taking this into consideration and finishing his animals on quality feed anyway.

Thanks for that; i think he also uses grain sparingly, as you do when needed, but will discuss this with him soon as need another supply.

I never really liked sausages that much, but what he makes is much tastier than most samples i have tried in past.

We get stuck with a lot of beef roasts (part of quarter carcass), which i find not as nice as roast lamb, but mrs now has found a lot of recipes to help make most of the beef. She made an Indian-style curry (mld)other day; great stuff.

Well would you look at that. Talk of grass being the perfect feed for cows and now I have a cow trying to die from milk fever caused by eating grass at the wrong time.

How did we get to talking about cows eating grass??:confused:

read the first page, CBF after that.

Big Mick: pay $10 to Alan Aragon for all of the back issues of the research review and get your head out of your paleo ass.

Don't even know what that means. Have no idea what paleo is. Have never read anything about it or even bothered looking it up as I have no interest in it. I think some cross fit guys were doing it at work and they were eating nuts and stuff all the time.

I don't eat nuts or chocolate (I know someone here mentioned chocolate), don't even like chocolate protein powder much. NB choc honeycomb is the closest. Generally stick with vanilla, mango, banana strawberry type flavours.

PS down another kg this week just cutting out wheat, and midsection starting to look more defined. So will stick with it.