• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Food on a budget

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
What are some of the foods you used to buy when maybe you were on a tighter budget/or teenager than you are on now - when I was a teenager of course I didn't have as much cash as I do now to spend on food - some foods I used to buy when the cash was tight -

- Powered Milk (used to milk it with my protein to make it last longer haha)
- Kangaroo mince
- Roo snags
- shitty cuts of meat
- Home brand pasta and rice
- Aussie bodies protein (which used to be cheap but now is crazy expensive)
- Tuna
- Frozen chicken (haha)
- Frozen veggies

being in regional vic , i buy alot of my stuff from the farmers gate (fruit,veg, some meat)

Bulk is the key.

I've got a 700lt freezer. I just walk the cow in there and shut the lid.

Like admin said. Farm gate can be good if you can find a farmer who can be stuffed dealing with the tiny volumes.

Markets are great for eggs especially.
Frozen vege's are great due to being too lazy to cut stuff up at times.
When tuna is a dollar I buy the shop out

Chicken wings
Coles beef mince
Homebrand oats
Whatever rice is on special
Frozen vegies (1kg homebrand mixed veg is $1.60 last time i looked)
Can generally get a 2-5kg bags of potatoes from a local grocer pretty cheap
Lots of options out there these days!

All the pre packaged noodles/stir fry dishes. Now that I think of it, they aren't that cheap, just convenient when being a uni bum.

Every single frozen pre cooked chicken or fish product. They're always on special and look alright on the box art. They trick me every time as they always taste like dehydrated mince.

What are some of the foods you used to buy when maybe you were on a tighter budget/or teenager than you are on now - when I was a teenager of course I didn't have as much cash as I do now to spend on food - some foods I used to buy when the cash was tight -

- Powered Milk (used to milk it with my protein to make it last longer haha)
- Kangaroo mince
- Roo snags
- shitty cuts of meat
- Home brand pasta and rice
- Aussie bodies protein (which used to be cheap but now is crazy expensive)
- Tuna
- Frozen chicken (haha)
- Frozen veggies

Don't eat Kangaroo meat never have, it's dog/cat food at best, and even my dogs are not keen on it, hate the buggers with a passion, they are just giant vermin, might as well eat rat meat if you ask me. And would never buy it these things are here in pest proportions, I could just take my rifle for a walk in the back yard and fill the freezer in ten minutes if I was going to eat rat meat (kangaroo)

Home brand pasta is the same as non home brand pasta, except 1/3rd the price, same with home brand milk and home brand rice etc, they don'y have special home brand cows, they just charge more for the glossy label and for snobs to feel good.

Used to buy cheaper cuts of meat now I buy quality meat in bulk, so costs about the same as cheaper cuts.

Last edited:
My local IGA has super specials on bulk meat every week so I load up there. Like $8.99 whole scotch fillet, that's half the price the duopoly charges around here. I buy eggs from a lady down the street who has 5 chickens, and homebrand stuff where it makes no difference between that and the glossier brands (stuff like flour, milk, lube etc). Brekky stuff like oats, chia seeds, LSA I go to a place in the city Kukulas where its all whole sale prices! Top place.

Lol [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; comparing roos to giant rats. I will never look at a roo burger the same way again now. lol.

I would still eat too but it's just not cheap anymore.

Nah it's as expensive as the better cuts of beef, that said the fillet is great quality meat - tender, lean and tasty. I quite like the patties too. Cook up a couple of packs and freeze em for a quick feed when required. Couple of minutes in the microwave, cut em up with some rice or cous-cous or something quick - presto.

started buying meat at a reputable bulk butcher - paying around half the supermarket price for better quality meat.

Lots of $8.99 chicken breast and chuck steak for me! Also tuna, or salmon when it's $7 for 2 fillets.

5kg bags of BN protein powder rather than the nicer tasting overpriced shit + long life milk for less wastage.

also a lot of frozen veg. Tend to eat seasonal fruit so that it's more economical, so at the moment its a lot of blood/navel oranges.

I also don't tend to buy much convenience food and cook up as much as I can myself. I'm also ok with eating the same thing for a week straight. Some people can't do this.

My dog won't touch roo at all - I've seen him starve himself rather than eat the mince I've tried feeding him before. I don't mind the burgers, but it does tend to smell like roadkill to me when cooking. Can get premium mince for the same price as roo mince anyway.

Ok people who say their dog wouldn't eat roo have gotta toughen there dogs up. Lol. Dogs eat their own shit. Out here they bring back rotten carcasses and chew on them like a delicacy.

Ok people who say their dog wouldn't eat roo have gotta toughen there dogs up. Lol. Dogs eat their own shit. Out here they bring back rotten carcasses and chew on them like a delicacy.

he might eat it if it were rotten - I've seen him slobber all over dead rotting birds before, but the roo in that case sat out there for 2 days before I gave up on it and buried it.

[MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; how big would a chest freezer have to be to buy beef from a farmer in some sort of bulk quantity?

oats
rice
potatoes
noodles
ice creams that are on special only (I can't bring myself to eat the cheap stuff)

bulk carbs for minimal $

I always buy meat in bulk (from the shops though so not that bulk) as you save a few $ here and there.

Not spending money on protein powder as meat is a lot cheaper protein gram per $.

Well you can buy a live animal but your going to have to get someone to butcher it. It will depend on the size of the animal you buy obviously.

Most butchers around here will do a side of beef (usually 80-120kg) I've got it for as low as $3kg not long ago all cut up and packaged. I would go that way over buying the animal of a farmer and organizing to get it butchered. Plus I don't think you would end up getting it any cheaper than bulk of a butcher.

To answer your question. I got 200kg of beef pretty easily into my smaller 300 and something liter upright freezer.

I would still eat roo but it's just not cheap anymore.

Just kill your own, can't be cheaper than that, most around here do it only for dog meat have never heard anyone mention they eat it themselves.

I tried it many years ago, also killed my own, have never bought it, that would be like buying water, just dumb, when it just comes out of a tap for pretty much next to nothing.