• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flexible Dieting

me too! bit of a setback on goals this year for obvious reasons but it's been the shizz for helping me to prevent lean mass losses and much fat gain.

it's handy also when you just need to hold steady post surgery :)
Awww glad the body composition is hanging in there!!

flexible dieting or IIFYM isn't a fad, it is just common sense with a little rigour.

I've been doing it for several years now. If I don't count the actual macro tracking, I've been doing it pretty much intuitively all my life.

It's a sensible approach where you aim to meet your Protein, Fat and Carb macros every day to achieve whatever goals you have (gaining, fat loss, or maintenance/body recomp).

Because it has been labeled and put out there as this new/beaut thing the concept is a "fad" - the idea behind it is simple common sense - I know we are getting abit nitty gritty here but currently IIFYM/Flexible dieting is a fad like anyother form of dieting and people will move onto another form of dieting just like people have done for years - unfortunately it is a fad currently and we don't put enough education in place, when your growing up etc etc to make it simply common sense across the board.

Of course to us who train, live a healthy live style it is easier for us to know its simply how one should be eating - but for many they still think its a fad diet that will get them to their goals quicker and then move onto the next thing.

As I mentioned "flexible dieting" "IIFYM" has been done by many and even myself for years - I have been doing it on and off for 11 years - but there was not a label behind it - it was simply eating normally targeted at the goal at hand.

The only way I see IIFYM as a fad is because of the IIFYM.com website. You can plug your stats in and it spits out lean gains style macros for rest and training days and noobs think that this is how you do IIFYM and that calorie/carb cycling is a requirement.

Because it has been labeled and put out there as this new/beaut thing the concept is a "fad" - the idea behind it is simple common sense - I know we are getting abit nitty gritty here but currently IIFYM/Flexible dieting is a fad like anyother form of dieting and people will move onto another form of dieting just like people have done for years - unfortunately it is a fad currently and we don't put enough education in place, when your growing up etc etc to make it simply common sense across the board.

Of course to us who train, live a healthy live style it is easier for us to know its simply how one should be eating - but for many they still think its a fad diet that will get them to their goals quicker and then move onto the next thing.

As I mentioned "flexible dieting" "IIFYM" has been done by many and even myself for years - I have been doing it on and off for 11 years - but there was not a label behind it - it was simply eating normally targeted at the goal at hand.

Totally wrong.

Counting macros and calories isn't a fad. It's just basic tracking of what you are putting into your face. In some form its what every effective diet has been and will be based on.

counting calories is an eating disorder

Being that a fair proportion of the population is obese (which is caused by a lack of activity and eating above their needs) don't you think that it may be beneficial for people to see where their energy intake is coming from? (In order to modify these habits over time to create the energy balance they need)

It could be argued that demonizing food groups and having an "acceptable foods" list is also an ED. Not clinical yet apparently, but it's called orthorexia.

Before I got into health and fitness, I had tried MANY ways of losing weight. It wasn't until I saw the obvious clearly in numbers that I realized what was required.

counting calories is an eating disorder

False.

As with any dietary regimen, if one were to become obsessive about one's diet, it can certainly lead to a form of eating disorder (most notably orthorexia in the general population, as Chris pointed out). But otherwise, no.

Being intimately acquainted with how eating disorders work, I have to disagree with you here.

In fact, it can be used in a positive way to help someone get over orthorexia, possibly even bulimia (although one would have to get treatment for the underlying root causes as it's never really about food).

having said that, I would hesitate to consider someone with anorexia taking it up, as it can make things worse, for sure.

Being that a fair proportion of the population is obese (which is caused by a lack of activity and eating above their needs) don't you think that it may be beneficial for people to see where their energy intake is coming from? (In order to modify these habits over time to create the energy balance they need)

It could be argued that demonizing food groups and having an "acceptable foods" list is also an ED. Not clinical yet apparently, but it's called orthorexia.

Before I got into health and fitness, I had tried MANY ways of losing weight. It wasn't until I saw the obvious clearly in numbers that I realized what was required.

Not only obese, we also have "skinny fat", underweight and how often do you see a well built young person?

When i say well built I mean; muscled and not overly lean women or men?

Counting calories seems to be accepted as normal.

Totally wrong.

Counting macros and calories isn't a fad. It's just basic tracking of what you are putting into your face. In some form its what every effective diet has been and will be based on.

Of course and that's what I just stated.

Awesome discussion - thanks all :)

I've found post Como I'm guilty about eating pre comp banned foods - and I'm asking myself WHY? why the feck should I feel guilty for eating a cookie ffs!?!?

I've Sussed out macros just to maintain now and am slowly working it out - tracking via an app just to get me started.