• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Female training-PTC style

This is a true indication of athletic ability. Eventually they may bench more, but most only dream about putting their best bench overhead, and its not like theyre weak benches.

I'd say its simply down to how you train. I could show you a gym full of guys who could only dream of benching what they put overhead.

But they dont bench Nick, because benching is not one of their events.

In commercial gyms, everyone benches and most press overhead.

In my gym alone, everyone attempts that, but it takes great athletic ability to put more overhead than laying down if you train BOTH lifts.

I didnt mention powerlifters for that reason, they specialize in their competition lifts, as do Olympic lifters.

If you just put stuff overhead and never benched for a year, you would probably put more overhead than you could bench.

Wasn't that Max for a while?

Just like all those guys who bench more than they can squat. Training.

Edit, woops, cross-posted with Markos, makes my post redundant as usual ;)

If all you did is press you'd probably have shoulders that resembled the sound of Velcro.
Shoulders are a tricky one.

Probably should be in another thread, but if a lifter trains each lift equally, and can put more weight overhead than the bench, this shows me they have more athletic ability.

Just an observation.

c&pp, C&J how many can military press >= to their bench?

It not like you can get any momentum from a bench..its is a fair bit different I recon.

But still good efforts. just to get those weights above their head.

Your lifts are a great example.

Forget the overhead bit, your clean is 45kg down on your bench alone. I was similar to you, except an even larger gap lol. Mine was due to practicing the BP for 25 years and the clean for just over 2 years or so. One of my biggest regrets, I simply didnt know better.

I have quite a few lifters who can clean more than they bench, that is a much more achievable lift, and one that anyone with any athletic ability should be able to achieve.

You are correct though about the MP. Nobody should be able to MP what they BP, and I dont know anyone that can.

the reason I spoke about the PP and jerk is because those lifts require athletic ability, not just braced static strength.

Yes I soppose i am a great example only doing bench, shoulders, bis when younger, at least my deads have overtaken and are starting to walk away from my bench.

I have only ever done cleans with any purpose once,....ever...i was pretty happy with that as a first attempt.

I can really see what you mean about them being a lift that requires technique, and an athletic ability they rock your body,,,when I did it it killed my forarms for a week.

I soppose when you think about it its why the C&J and Snatch are the olympic lifts, they not only require strength, but practiced and perfected skills.

Dimi has been at PTC for 3 weeks now, never lifted before.

Tonight she benched 47.5kg
She deadlifted 120kg
She bench squatted 80kg x 3

Brittany C&P my 30kg keg
Brittany standing pressed 20kg x 1 DB's

Emma attempted a 122.5kg deadlift, she locked it out but lost her balance - no lift lol

Annie benched 65kg on Saturday.

She becomes the 3rd girl to total 400kg at PTC

She also C&P my 30kg keg

Dimi is a girl I wrote about in a newsletter. Dr Lobotomy had suggested lap band surgery. Dimi was no where near needing it.

Four weeks in, she has lost 12kg AND totalled 340kg...already.

Squat 80kg
Bench 52.5kg
Powerclean 42.5kg
Overhead press 45kg
Deadlift 120kg

Good work Annie!

Thanks Bluey... I was sitting at 397.5kg for a couple of weeks, didn't think I was gonna get a PB on the bench that day... it's funny how some days the bar just feels great. I'm loving the kegs, there so much fun.
That T-Shirt you were asking about... Theres a place in Frankston that sells them, I've gotta go in there today and exchange a tee I got Spiz for Xmas... I'll find out how much they are. See you on Wednesday.

These women are an inspiration. I use you all as an example when I'm talking to women about lifting and the women get all "oh but we can never lift weights like that" and "oh but if I lift heavy I'll bulk up."

Thanks Bluey... I was sitting at 397.5kg for a couple of weeks, didn't think I was gonna get a PB on the bench that day... it's funny how some days the bar just feels great. I'm loving the kegs, there so much fun.
That T-Shirt you were asking about... Theres a place in Frankston that sells them, I've gotta go in there today and exchange a tee I got Spiz for Xmas... I'll find out how much they are. See you on Wednesday.

It all just seems to work some days doesnt it.

Thanks Annie appreciate your effort :) See you Wednesday.

Markos, I can see your PM but can't open it until I have posted 10 comments (according to the system). I have the URL to your web site and will be in touch.

Brittany benched 57.5kg tonight.

Nina and Annie did rack pulls

Emma missed a 47.5kg bench, she actually puts 47.5kg overhead

I haven't done rack pulls in a while and now I'm paying for it, I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my lower back in the hope I'll be ok to do more tonight, I'm trying to get my deadlift up from 132.5kg to 135kg (but I would love 140kg) for the comp... it's my weakest lift.