• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Female training-PTC style

They pretty much train the same as the boys, except girls do better with higher reps, so I simply increase the reps.

They also do great with my KB complexes, so they do a KB complex most sessions.

Aside from that, they squat, deadlift, clean, overhead press, bench press. Some also do chins.

they dont do "shaping" exercises, sit ups, bouncey ball stuff.

Another thing the girls do more often than the guys is lunges and running up the stairs of the grandstand

Hope this helps

So are lunges not a good quad/hammy building exercise if you are going for muscle hypertrophy?

So why wouldn't the guys do them as much as the girls if they are good muscle hypertrophy exercises? Surely the pain threshold wouldnt have much to do with it considering 99% of your clients have to do 20rep squats at one stage or another?

All exercise builds muscle.

I like the lunge, it's useful to a person who is either not use to squatting, not built for squatting or has some hip mobility issue as the unilateral movement places less stress on the spine.

The lunge is useful to a point though, carrying up to half bodyweight and doing reps creates a stability issue, by the time a trainee is carrying this amount of weight though you should be able to transfer over to BB squatting.

Teaching a neophyte to squat I would use this schedule;

Body weight squat
Lunge with dumbbells
Goblet squat
Over head
BB squat

The lunge is awesome, guys are wusses with lunges, the girls kill em

Nina was the only lifter to lunge the street with 16kg KB and not stop once, around 136m non stop

guys are wusses with lunges

I can't speak for other guys, but in terms of my own training, that comment is spot on, lol.

I have to be very motivated to do lunges, cos I always know they're not gonna be pleasant. I've had very nasty DOMS after doing them.

I've seen one of my fellow trainers doing lunges with a barbell across the stadium next to the gym, but he's pretty hardcore with his training.

I don't think I've seen any men doing lunges, but few even squat (and almost none to depth, except those I've trained) so there you go. I usually give out split squats rather than lunges, since in lunges people will tend to go forward with their knees and make it all about their quad strength and not their glutes and hamstrings, whereas in split squats they can keep the form a bit better. Mostly I just give the split squats to people who need some extra balance training, or have a strong left-right strength imbalance making their squat into a rhumba.

Like Markos, I have found that women have greater pain tolerance. They also tend to have better bodily awareness and are more willing to listen to instruction, it's easier to teach them new exercises. On the other hand they're often a bit lacking in physical confidence and tend to say "I can't do that," before they've even tried, and also have this crazy stuff about their bodies which tends to keep them small and weak.

Last edited:
How does doing lunges with a barbell make him hardcore?
I don't claim i am hardcore but everytime i train legs i do lunges with a weighted oly bar.

Thanks guys for clearing that up!

How does doing lunges with a barbell make him hardcore?
This is how he does lunges. Take a barbell, put a 20kg plate either side. Pick it up off the ground and drag it over your shoulders. With it on your shoulders, do full deep lunges from standing to back knee on the floor all the length of a basketball stadium, and all the way back.

If you find this easy, then I admire you.

I'm not saying i find them easy, I guess we have different ideas of what "hard core training" constitutes. I guess its all about how much effort YOU are willing to put in to yield the results that YOU desire.

This is how he does lunges. Take a barbell, put a 20kg plate either side. Pick it up off the ground and drag it over your shoulders. With it on your shoulders, do full deep lunges from standing to back knee on the floor all the length of a basketball stadium, and all the way back.

If you find this easy, then I admire you.

yeah lunges are bloody hard work!

Like Markos, I have found that women have greater pain tolerance. They also tend to have better bodily awareness and are more willing to listen to instruction, it's easier to teach them new exercises. On the other hand they're often a bit lacking in physical confidence and tend to say "I can't do that," before they've even tried, and also have this crazy stuff about their bodies which tends to keep them small and weak.
I'm a part-time martial arts instructor. Classes are maybe 60-40% male to female. My experience:
Not sure about the pain threshold aspect but I agree that women are quicker learners and better listeners.
Also, as you say, the confidence factor is huge. Guys have greater confidence (which can get themeselves into trouble with injury etc) and are way less likely to stop training when they don't see immediate improvements. Other mental aspects to do with being embarrassed are something a lot of guys can'tunderstand.

Love this thread Markos, always like hearing about what the ladies of PTC are up to. Thanks.

Hey Markos,
I havnt been on here for a while, but i had to tell you that got an 80kg bench last night and a 75 paused! Yay!

See you at the comp in 23 days!

Nice work Dimi, but you havent joined ProRaw yet.

I have a heap of girls coming through who are getting strong.

Kate is 34 and a mum of 2, she weighs 62kg.

Today she deadlifted double bodyweight, 125kg.

Only Vicki, Nina and Kate have managed this at PTC, Britt did 145kg at around 74kg.

I have quite a few girls deadlifting over 100kg at 60kg and under, little Sussy is squatting around 90kg @ 64kg.

On Wednesday night at 8.00pm I have 7 girls lifting and on Thursday at 10.00am I have 7 girls lifting.

I have had quite a few girls join up in the last few weeks.

I should list them all

Nina
Brittany
Vicki
Kat
Sussy
Louise
Kate
Kate
Kat
Josta
Amy