• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eating Heaps but losing weight?!

B

blakeimage

Hi All,

So i've recently re-visited my diet and cut out un-necessary bits like refined sugars from coke, red bull etc.. unwanted fats and most chocolates etc.

Somehow though, I'm losing weight... Below is a typical days food intake. Maybe you can assist where i'm going wrong??

Stats: 70kg, 180cm, 21yo

[Edit: I also aim to consume at least 2-4L of water per day]

Breakfast (6:30am)
1x Large Bowl Sustain Cereal or Oatmeal (not instant)
1x Glass Water
1x Glass 100% Orange Juice
1x Handful Almonds

Morning Tea (10:00am)
1x Sandwich (1 slice Turkey Breast, 3 slices Salami, 2 slices cheese, Rye Bread or Soy & Linseed)
1x Handful Dried Apricots
1x Fruit (Banana or Apple)

Lunch (1:00pm)
1x Turkish Roll (1 LARGE grilled chicken breast, 1 large turkish roll, light seasoning of salt etc)
1x Large Salad with small amount Italian Dressing

Afternoon Tea (4:00pm)
1x Sandwich (1 slice Turkey Breast, 3 slices Salami, 2 slices cheese, Rye Bread or Soy & Linseed)
1x Handful Almonds
1x Fruit (Banana or Apple)

Dinner (7:00pm)
Whatever's going. Normally generous serving of meat with steamed vegetables, Pasta or something else.

Before Bed (10:00pm)
1x Handful Almonds
1x Mass Gainer Shake (600cals) (Haven't started this yet)

This is so much more than what I'm used to eating. I get that full that my stomach hurts and it's painful to finish some meals - but I persevere.

It's a bit disapointing looking down at the scales and noticing that i've lost weight - especially when i've eliminated so much shit out of my diet and replaced it with healthy(er) stuff.

Any ideas?? Should I not be concerned??

Thanks in advance,

Blake.

Last edited:
To put on weight energy in needs to exceed energy out. Your diet seems okay but it all depends on how much energy you're using at your work and then at the gym (how often you workout and your program??) and any other activities. Generally junk food tends to be very calorie rich so that is why you're probably losing weight having cut it out, even though you're eating more healthy food now.

Maybe try drinking 3 litres of milk a day in addition to what you're eating now. Add in some squats, deadlifts, presses, rows etc and you should put on some quality mass.

It's energy in vs energy out, mate.

Obviously your energy in is still less than your energy out. You must be doing exercise or something. That, and your definition of "heaps" isn't ;)

I work as an IT Manager in Defense, So my job consists of desk-work, walking up and down stairs and the occasional travel to the barracks. Nothing too labor-intensive.

My workout plan is quite basic, listed below; Pyramid Reps - Heavy weight.

Monday - Chest/Back
Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Flyes
Deadlift
Pullups
Cable Rows

Wednesday - Legs/Abs
Leg Press
Stiff-Legged Deadlift
Lying Leg Curls
Calf Raises
Crunches
Hanging Leg Raises
Side Bends

Friday - Shoulders/Arms
Seated Dumbbell Press
Lateral Raises
Rear Delt Raises
Barbell Curls
Alt. Dumbbell Curls
Weighted Dips
Tricep Pushdowns

I see too many processed food.
Bread, Sustain, orange juice, salami, cheese, turkish bread, turkey breast (I assume the deli stuff).

Eat natural fresh food instead. Forget sandwhiches, eat sweet potato, grilled chicken, vegies, fruit, almonds etc.

2 Litres of full cream milk per day on top of your diet should do the trick. And eat more protein rich foods, chicken, beef, tuna, ect.

As Shrek said, lots of processed foods, try your best to stay away from them. Get back to basics and drink bucket loads of milk, and do squats. It will work wonders.

Eating heaps?

I dont see heaps of eating..

Your have cut out junk food that is high in calories...

Now you are eating small quantities of healthier food that contians less calories in general.

So phsycologically you feel like you are consuming more food however the total caloric difference would be quite high.

Seeing as our body only see's half the calories we eat form sugar if you consumed 300calories from sugar a day your body would only see 150 so for it to see 300 you are really consuming 600.

Last edited:
"1x Sandwich (1 slice Turkey Breast, 3 slices Salami, 2 slices cheese, Rye Bread or Soy & Linseed)"
that aint no farkin sandwich, thats a ladywich

stack the turkey one and a 1/2 time as thick as the bit of bread, cut up some mushroom put on a little bit of dijon baby spinach cut up a full tomato, slab on some cottage cheese enough that when u bite into it the CC spills out and onto the plate then dip ya sanga into it. wash it down with an empty gatorade bottle full of water then make another one

haha, reminds me of this
manwich.jpg

haha - sounds good...

I've just ordered another bucket of UN Real gains to fill in the slots where I dont/cant eat as much...

Maybe i'll make a bath full of Cottage Cheese and just eat my way out o_O

It too difficult to tell you what is going on here.

The only thing I can say is:

are you still hungry
your working out too much
you are are not working out hard enough
you have worms
drop the oj
inrcease your protien each sitting
eat more veg

be honest with your evaluation, nobody knows you like yourself.

The workout is the key here, your ability to work hard is a result of the amount of time you take to recover from workout to workout.

Work the whole body, rest the whole body.

Last edited:
Eating Heaps but losing weight?!

In this case "heaps" is relative. So relatively speaking, your “heaps” is a bit. There's no two ways about it irrespective of how "heaps" you may think you're eating. I see Silverback has laid out several possibilities before you as to what may be preventing you from achieving a weight gain. I say why not put the numbers in front of you, the calorie numbers that is, and increase them by 500 as you go along.

When I was speaking of relative, I was basing it on my own experience of ingesting 13500 calories. I was not after gaining weight at all at the time and didn't. Only now when I look back and see the amount of food I was taking in in comparison to what I was doing (training etc), do I realise that even 13500 calories were not enough to add weight on (relatively speaking).

Let's say you were me then, what now? We have two options before us:

1. Increase calories further, or
2. Reduce your training/activities

Of course all the above is taking into account that you don't have a medical issue which is preventing you from gaining weight and you're providing your muscles with enough stimulus to create an adaptation, or you're simply lacking the enzymes to digest and absorb the food eaten.

In all cases, I would totally refuse the notion that one can not gain or lose weight no matter how hard the task may seem to them. This saying fits perfectly here: "where there's a will, there's a...Blake!

Fadi.

Last edited: