• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Double Ply

Totalstrength

Hi Guys,

Was just thinking how much more carry over you can get from double ply?

And some of the rules with Capo?

How deep with squats?

Where can u touch in bench?

And do they use the deadlift bar for Deads?

Not sure about the carry over

Every rule book on squats is the same, interpretation is different. In general, they are more lenient than IPF, depends on the judge though, this is from my experiences. I have seen some horrendously high squats passed at CAPO Nats and WPC Worlds. Before anybody starts an argument, I have video footage so back off lol

Touch anywhere with the bench.

The deadlift bar is legal, so if the gym running the comp has one, all is good. I know there is one in Vic, one in QLD and one in WA. Not sure about other states.

On the shirt thing. Talking to Minh yesterday, he said he cant bench more than 100kg raw. I watched him bench 90kg for a hard triple with a massive arch. In November he benched 162.5kg with a single ply. He is good for 175kg currently. A 75kg carryover from single ply is insane.

Not sure about the carry over

Every rule book on squats is the same, interpretation is different. In general, they are more lenient than IPF, depends on the judge though, this is from my experiences. I have seen some horrendously high squats passed at CAPO Nats and WPC Worlds. Before anybody starts an argument, I have video footage so back off lol

Touch anywhere with the bench.

The deadlift bar is legal, so if the gym running the comp has one, all is good. I know there is one in Vic, one in QLD and one in WA. Not sure about other states.

On the shirt thing. Talking to Minh yesterday, he said he cant bench more than 100kg raw. I watched him bench 90kg for a hard triple with a massive arch. In November he benched 162.5kg with a single ply. He is good for 175kg currently. A 75kg carryover from single ply is insane.

So they would have a deadlift bar at the capo nats?

Really be interesting to test out the inzer Leviathanor a double centurion

not sure if id be strong enough for a double katana.

When I was squatting in my Metal Squatter it was with a safety bar and I was getting 50-60kg out of it fairly easily. Haven't done much with it since as I'm too fat to fit into it.

I got stapled to the bench with 120 raw but can hit 160ish in a single ply f6

So they would have a deadlift bar at the capo nats?

Really be interesting to test out the inzer Leviathanor a double centurion

not sure if id be strong enough for a double katana.

Starting out in double ply gear in the Leviathanor would be a big step. Canvas is alot harder to use then any of the poly gear.

Are you contemplating coming over Daniel?
I dont see much happening in PA this year.

My records are frozen so no one can get them. This year we start all over again. So theres nothing to go for

Capo squat and total record have been there since 1992.

+ I love the gear and with that deadlift bar ill left more for sure.

Plus you could make some loose change AND lift with your mate, that real strong little prick.

Has he recovered from injury?

Hes been in china gets back wednesday his hamstring should be ok now.

I'm away all of march, so not sure about the rep challenge, Ill talk to Mathew
when he gets back.

On the shirt thing, I was watching a Mark Bell video & he was saying he does not know what he benches raw, In his opinion they are two different lifts.

Now, I have been training in my single ply for my next meet, Is it a different lift? No. Do you train it differently? Yes.

This may help explain why Minh is getting 75KG carry over on his gear (BTW I think that number in slightly exaggerated to try & sell more shirts :D )

On the shirt thing, I was watching a Mark Bell video & he was saying he does not know what he benches raw, In his opinion they are two different lifts.

Now, I have been training in my single ply for my next meet, Is it a different lift? No. Do you train it differently? Yes.

This may help explain why Minh is getting 75KG carry over on his gear (BTW I think that number in slightly exaggerated to try & sell more shirts :D )
Go the double ply with a huge open back! may need 180 to touch :D

i can verify that Minh is not understating his raw bench.

He has custom super katana that is suited to the ridiculous arch he can achieve while still keeping his heels and ass on the bench.
He is probably getting the biggest carryover from anyone in single ply bench shirt, but the big carryover is due to hard work on technique and practice, practice, practice.

I agree they are two different lifts, both in execution and training. The pause in particular is completely different with a shirt because you need to use a lot more acceleration on the way down if you want to get a fast clean touch (so you don't waste yourself).

Last year Minh and I were training together doing the exact same bench program. The program was all raw training except the final week before comp where you did mainly shirted work. My raw training weights were 20kg more than him across the board and my raw bench probably improved more than his doing these cycles. But by the end of the year his shirted bench was almost 50kg more than mine. The difference was the extra shirted technique sessions he was putting the hard yards in on weekends while I was slacking off. I got maybe 10kg out of my shirt, probably less, he got 70kg. Enough said.

I imagine double ply and open backed, plus other rule differences, changes the game again completely as well both in terms of technique and training.

I've benched next to Minh before. I have the weakest bench by far at the club but Minh used the same weight raw as me. :p He's a master of technique in the shirt. I believe he trains his bench like the Japanese lifters do, who also get huge amounts from shirts.