• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Donna Hay slams paleo diet and others as ‘just a new eating disorder’

With so many conflicting ideas, no wonder it's hard for people to figure out where to even start. Where to go for information for learning the basics such as macros, how to do a carb refeed, why donna hay can't do do her face what she can do to that lime cheesecake tart, and so on.

I think counting calories is good for people who are on a set in stone calorie intake and have no idea about what foods contain what - but again you want to educate the person more-so than just saying download an app - this would be fantastic while they learn - but after a while I don't believe its a good idea to always count your calories - you need to be able to know and have a good idea about food and what it contains.

I started off with counting calories, measuring my food, weighing it etc - and this I feel was a good way of learning about food and getting a good judge, idea of what food contain what and what it looks like to say yep thats about 400 calories of chicken.

I don't have any issue with counting calories I think in the short-term its great to learn about foods but long term you do want to get to that point where you can say ok I have had this and this ok I can have a little ice-cream - by just thinking about the foods you have consumed - I guess I am talking bigger picture here and more balance trying to be obtained.

Last edited:
Personally, last time I ate instinctively for a period of time, when I went back to counting for a while to see what I was doing I found I wasn't eating enough. So I tend to track what I eat to make sure I'm eating enough, not too much!

I am the same.

And when I am trying to lose weight, I find it too easy to exceed my targeted calories intake.

I think even if you want to eat well and not always count, counting calories for a while teaches you the fundamentals to eat a decent diet in the future. Once people learn what is in what, they have a great head start for good eating practices.

By let I go I mean when on holidays or away from usual regime (away for work, illness, etc).

Each to their own, both ways can work.

Agree. I don't count on holidays but normal day to day I do. It keeps me honest. Otherwise I'll eat triple what I should

I am the same.

And when I am trying to lose weight, I find it too easy to exceed my targeted calories intake.

I think even if you want to eat well and not always count, counting calories for a while teaches you the fundamentals to eat a decent diet in the future. Once people learn what is in what, they have a great head start for good eating practices.

Absolutely, it's not good to obsess about it or be unable to relax your diet as [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; said, but I think a lot of people, particularly people with weight problems, would be shocked at what is in the food they eat. A lot of the population have no conception of what X piece of food contains and what their body requires.

common sense goes a long way with eating consistently well IMO

nothing wrong with calorie counting - I did it when I started changing lifestyle, and like Rugby mentioned, a lot of things which I thought were not too bad (say for arguments sake 2 packs of ramen noodles) contained more calories than a full meal.

Paleo IS a crock as an exclusionary diet based on a flawed concept; I had an argument with a fellow fatty who said that he lost 25kg eating Paleo - I lost 25kg by eating correctly (at a deficit).

I use the rule of thumb of eating less processed where I can, it's usually either booze or a few too many slipups

Does the estimating your caloric intake work for the people doing it? Are your results where you expect them to be or is it a lucky dip week to week?

It's all well and good to say eating is common sense, but looking at our society as a whole, it's not working. Saying a bowl of yoghurt and fruit is a good meal is subjective. What about body weight, portion size, dairy intolerances, activity level, etc. I'm not saying counting calories is the answer, but it's some of the answer. Being aware of the caloric value of certain foods is very helpful when making eating choices. The more information at your disposal the better.

I'm not saying anything apart from stating, dietary fads along with calorie counting are forms of eating disorders.

I think she is saying it a bit awkward, but like most of these ‘fads’, people take it too far. Yes it is great that you are focusing on traditional meals, that you are moving away from processed foods, but can we stop at that? Why do we have to go mental about every diet fad?