• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Doing the calories

unibum

Hi

I understand there are topic like this out there.

However I want to know if..

I eat a solid amount of food three times a day
then have 2x1000 calorie shakes

Does that count?

Are calories calories? providing they are healthy and useful.

I am finding I almost need to eat every 1hr and I am wondering
if I do the above will I be ok? Or if I am hungry just eat I am worried
about it going into anabolic state where is starts using muscle as food.

Any help would be appreciated, I have read that people do
three meals a day and use shakes just wanted some opinions
Thank you

First and foremost, What are your goals?

If you're looking to gain lean mass, then being in a relatively small surplus is generally best. There are certain ratios of protein/carbs/fat that are optimal for this, but it doesnt really matter where it comes from.

Of course shakes count toward your total!

I think you meant catabolic state.

And why do you need to eat every hour? Do you have trouble eating bigger meals? The thing about keeping your metabolism stoked is all a myth you know.

Hi

I understand there are topic like this out there.

However I want to know if..

I eat a solid amount of food three times a day
then have 2x1000 calorie shakes

Does that count?
Count as what?
Are calories calories? providing they are healthy and useful.
How do you define a healthy calorie?
How can a calorie not be a calorie?
What is not a useful calorie?
I am finding I almost need to eat every 1hr and I am wondering
if I do the above will I be ok? Or if I am hungry just eat I am worried
about it going into anabolic state where is starts using muscle as food.
Why do you need to eat every hour? Are you feeling hungry all the time?
Why do you think you will go (as Wingman corrected for you) catabolic and lose muscle?
Do you think, even when you are catabolic, that you my use an easier, more abundant and efficient fuel source such as body fat?

Your post did not make a lot of sense so try to answer the questions so everyone gets a better understanding of what you are asking.

Count as what?
Daily calories which I am sure it does

How do you define a healthy calorie?
How can a calorie not be a calorie?
What is not a useful calorie?

calories are in every food but clearly living on take away
is not healthy calories. Or eating a box of shapes

Why do you need to eat every hour? Are you feeling hungry all the time?

Yes hungry all the time. Example 4 cooked eggs + a bowl of oats+ 1 cup of yogurt + 1000 calorie shake and an hour later I am still hungry.

Why do you think you will go (as Wingman corrected for you) catabolic and lose muscle?

Thank you I got mixed up, as the body needs something to keep it going and I know when waking up it is important to get it out of catabolic. I read this some where before and now cannot find it to support my thinking. I do realise it can burn fat but I didn't think it works that simple.

Eating big meals is not the problem. The problem is I am skinny, I have a super fast metabolism I am pretty sure as I find I am always hungry even when on a 3500 calorie diet plan + the 2000 worth of liquid calories I am drinking.

My main concern is if I am sticking to that 3500 calorie plan and find myself hungry through out the day can I ignore the hungry or would I risk loosing muscle?

I know it is simple to say go eat, but it doesn't work in with what my work entails.

Thank you

Count calories from all foods.

If you are hungry eat bigger meals and don't drink your calories, eat them.

Bazza directed you to threads right sticky. Read it and then read it again . You are way off on the catabolism idea, but that is the crap written all over the net by people who have no idea. Eat bigger meals like Bazza stated and stop the liquid shakes if you can. Have you got a food log of a day or weeks food. If not make one and get back to us with it to see how much you actually do eat.

Also (in very basic terms) a calorie is a calorie whether it is sugar or oats neither makes you fatter than the other. But once again it is all in the sticky.

Id be hungry two if i was drinking 2000 calories a day...

bro.....There is so much amazing food that could be made within a 2000 calorie range.

I dont even want to get started on food ideas...As i havent had lunch yet. And that would be criminal :)

Id be hungry two if i was drinking 2000 calories a day...

bro.....There is so much amazing food that could be made within a 2000 calorie range.

I dont even want to get started on food ideas...As i havent had lunch yet. And that would be criminal :)

Yep drinking calories unless it's alcohol is pretty much a waste.

I am about to smash 7 Maccas cheeseburgers at just under 2000 calories, much more satisfying than a shitty shake.

Last edited:
Not really. Cheeseburgers are tiny.

but 7!? lol

I love reading what you're eating....it boggles my mind, in very good ways! ;)

Has anyone else noticed the burgers have all shrunk? It's been a gradual thing, over a period of time...but I swear to god, they used to be bigger....or was it just because we were younger? They seemed bigger?

Hmmmm

This is good information.

However, my question is do you guys (& gals of course)
test your cholesterol etc each year to make sure it's at a
healthy range?

I mean we may look OK on the outside but a sick pup inside.

Devante.

healthy range?

Devante.

Cholesterol is a very poor marker of health imo

healthy range?

Devante.

I mostly only post my interesting meals. I eat a decent amount of fruit, veggies and other clean foods every day.

I got blood tests done a couple months ago.
Blood sugar was normal
Both good and bad cholesterol were normal.