• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dodgy Hamstrings

Bloke

Hey guys. I was looking for some advice. I have only gotten into the gym in a big way over the last few months but am training very hard. My concern is the fact that I have strained both my hamstrings multiple times courtesy of other sports. I am reluctant to push too hard when doing hamstring curls and have stayed away from deadlifts altogether. Does anyone have any advice as to what I could do to strengthen the area or am I better not to take the risk...? Apart from this, I am loving it!

Don't do hamstring curls. Waste of time.

Do deadlifts but start off very light and slowly add weight. This will strengthen your Hammies.

Personally I had a similar problem to you, would always flare up when doing martial arts etc. the way I got rid of it was pretty much heaps of stretching almost everyday. Just stretch lightly =]

Personally I had a similar problem to you, would always flare up when doing martial arts etc. the way I got rid of it was pretty much heaps of stretching almost everyday. Just stretch lightly =]

Passive stretching has been pretty much the most useless thing I have done for any soft tissue injury.

you keep spraining your hamstrings because you have weak hamstrings and lower back
do the complete opposite of what you're doing now lol, ditch the leg curls and do deadlifts instead, just keep it lighter ie don't just do loads of 1RMs

Stretch lots. You might have tight hip flexors. This can pull the pelvis into a position such that the nerse pulses to the hamstrings get interupted with the spine position.
I refrained from stretching for years and after getting injured constantly I have started and feel better than ever. Try it.

Passive stretching has been pretty much the most useless thing I have done for any soft tissue injury.

I agree.

Try doing:
Stiff leg deads
Single leg deadlift
Nordics (mainly eccentric phase)
Swiss ball hip raise/roll out (work up to single leg), these are good with speed.

All great exercises for hamstring injury prevention.

Fuck hamstring curls.

google, and look at first few steps for hamstring rehab

I can also google plenty of stuff saying stretching is a fucking waste of time. Also 20 years of playing footy, for me anyway, hamstring stretching is a waste of time.

Thanks for the help gents... I will smash out some deadlifts at low weight initially, ditch the hamstring curls and spend more time stretching my hammies...

Hamstring injuries can often be lower back related so see a physio and get checked over and treated properly

@Bloke, two words: FOAM ROLLER

best thing for releasing the hamstrings. better than stretching as it's like a blend of massage and stretching (myfascial release).

they're pretty decently priced and come in various sizes and firmness.

Warm them up first and then roll using your bodyweight to apply pressure as you get used to it.

@Bloke, two words: FOAM ROLLER

best thing for releasing the hamstrings. better than stretching as it's like a blend of massage and stretching (myfascial release).

they're pretty decently priced and come in various sizes and firmness.

Warm them up first and then roll using your bodyweight to apply pressure as you get used to it.

Thanks! I will get on it.

my hamstrings are awfully tight too (cant touch my toes while standing up) but foam rolling doesnt do much for it, it doesnt hurt at all. So whats the next thing up from foam roller?

my hamstrings are awfully tight too (cant touch my toes while standing up) but foam rolling doesnt do much for it, it doesnt hurt at all. So whats the next thing up from foam roller?

Are they causing you any other issues apart from not being able to touch your toes.

rumble roller. put your bodyweight onto it and then tell me it doesn't hurt. If it doesn't, your hamstrings are not as tight as you think they are.

sounds like you could use some yoga moves, frankly, if you can't touch your toes.
might even be a problem with hip flexion? try pivoting from the hip when you touch your toes and see where it hurts, if at all.

have had a similar problem recently. cant train legs without feeling like my left hammy is about to tear up where it meets the glute. if i press up into that area it really hurts. there is no pain in the right hammy/glute

did foam roller last night and although the leg is tight, it was not much painful.

have had to give squats a miss lately and hit the hammer v-squat :(