• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you enjoy your occupation?

For me I look at work satisfaction coming down to 3 areas, how much you like:
- the people you work with (especially direct boss)
- the process of creating whatever it is you get paid to create (even if it's a sale)
- the amount you get paid

When people pay you to do something it's usually something they don't want to do, can't do, or don't have the time to do. I see kids getting very idealistic about what they eventually want to do for work, forgetting that for the most part they'll be providing a service of some kind. A better question to determine what you should do for a living is often 'what are you good at?'. That's not to say your job will be hell... far from it.

Or something. I work as an engineer, I did it cause I was good at maths, and some days I can tick off all 3 of the above.

Work - nightfill. Id rather get money for free but I enjoy the simplicity of it. I get to meet/make friends with new people id never speak to as well.

Arts/law - its interesting but at the end of the day I want to be a lawyer. I do have a thing for roman history and Frost though -

And indeed there will be time
For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,
Rubbing its back upon the window-panes; 25
There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate; 30
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

As a literature major and English teacher I applaud thee -
I feel it is a comment on our nature to want to do everything that we can and having an obsession toward time - saying we don't have enough of it when in fact he is reflecting upon how there will be a time for everything and it is in this time that those things belong and should be done - fate perhaps?

Am a step closer to having a decent and rewarding job, so far 3 and half years of full time work and part time study with summer semester too, about a year and half off finishing my degree in Teaching, then no more driving for a job.
Mrs finished hers a couple of weeks ago and scored a contract with the school she did her final prac with, as they were so happy with her, starts tomorrow.

I am a high school English and History teacher - it is hard work, ok pay but it just sees me getting by, considering that a school day is 9-3 and I am there usually 7:30-6 and don't get paid overtime it sux, some kids are wonderful and it is great to see them improve and gain confidence, other times and unfortunately the majority of the time the behaviour, policies, syllabus and social issues seem to overtake the good things. I have always said that I won't be doing this all my life and have always wanted to own my own business in the health/hospitality industry - funny thing is I got offered a full time permanent position at the school I am at and because of my financial situation and what I do aim to do in the long run I am going to take it to save - planning on finishing the teaching gig at the end of next year

Am a step closer to having a decent and rewarding job, so far 3 and half years of full time work and part time study with summer semester too, about a year and half off finishing my degree in Teaching, then no more driving for a job.
Mrs finished hers a couple of weeks ago and scored a contract with the school she did her final prac with, as they were so happy with her, starts tomorrow.
Grippy great work on working toward your degree and congrats to your Mrs. :)

I like my job, i like my bosses and colleagues. I could do with a few more clients who push it and are interested in S&C over general health and rehab but i guess that is something i can work up to.

Also helps that my bosses respect my opinion and ask for my input and help on things. My old boss was the same and i hated that Jon with a passion but she made it better.

Oh and more pay would be AWESOME but that would mean working for myself and losing the safety benefits of my current job.

Grippy great work on working toward your degree and congrats to your Mrs. :)
Thanks, not sure how you cope with high school kids, I would be driving my head in to the wall, makes no wonder why you don't want to do it for ever.
I am doing primary, have done a couple of placements and taught for a week and a half in my last block with a year 6/7 class. Few hard to deal with kids but all worked out alright. Fist placement I did was a year 6/7 class of 55 kids, shocked the shit outta me to walk into that one, but the 2 teachers had it running like clockwork and didn't ever let them get out of hand which is half the battle I think.

I've probably written to this thread before, I can't remember.

I really do enjoy my job (Systems Engineer with an IT Consultancy firm), but it really gets on my nerves how pedantic my boss is about every single thing. He has more OCD than anyone I've ever encountered, both in real life and on film.

I also don't enjoy having to work after hours as often as I do with no overtime. It's the nature of the job though, just like school teachers - can't do a fair bit of it while employees are working.

I'd like to earn more money, even though I've had 2 promotions in the past 18 months or so. It's definitely available in the job market currently, but my skill set doesn't line up with what people are after. I can do the work, but our current client base doesn't require it.

Thanks, not sure how you cope with high school kids, I would be driving my head in to the wall, makes no wonder why you don't want to do it for ever.
I am doing primary, have done a couple of placements and taught for a week and a half in my last block with a year 6/7 class. Few hard to deal with kids but all worked out alright. Fist placement I did was a year 6/7 class of 55 kids, shocked the shit outta me to walk into that one, but the 2 teachers had it running like clockwork and didn't ever let them get out of hand which is half the battle I think.

I wonder how many other male primary school teachers have put up videos on the internet of themselves in their underwear.

Har har har :D

Finally finished my Eng degree (last week) and moved into a full time position on the 1st July. Mostly work on embedded systems and network systems/sensor systems.
Currently on fpga based systems.

The luxury of working on one major project at a time, instead of multiple contract jobs!!!!
and on decent pay.

Much prefer working as part of a team but current work and last few years has been mostly working by myself.

Just two subjects to go on the Physics degree (double Eng/Sci) to be finished
been going part time since 2000.

New bosses are pushing me to do a research masters (work in a uni research lab)
which would then probably lead into phD. Don't really want to do any more technical studies.

Congrats to Mrs Grippy!
You're not so far off from getting there either, so go you!

I work for my own company, but how I feel about it generally depends on how the market is going. Right now I hate it because big corporates are not spending on discretionary projects and so the likes of me are finding it REALLY HARD to get projects.
Basically and independent consultancy ... in a sentence: I help companies leverage their data assets to drive different parts of their business.
I've had 15 years of experience in this game but am now pretty much over it.
Have always missed my astrophysics and secretly have always wanted to be a pastry chef and/or food writer.
i've done them all and happiest doing the things I am not doing right now.
Hopefully that will change before I'm too old to do anything at all :p

No reason you can't go back and do the astrophysics.

In the engineering and science classes the ages ranged from 17 to 70.
Get a few who retired and wanted to get a degree or two.

Lot of astrophysics work at CSIRO with ska.
One of the guys I used went thru uni a few subjects with and tutored with did
a good bit of the fpga work for the ska pathfinder.
The data rates (acquisition) on that thing are amazing.
Talking 70Tb a second

ASKAP Home
Square Kilometre Array
ASKAP Digital Systems
ASKAP Data Transport

I can enjoy and hate my job in equal measures!

I started my own business right on a year ago. Been a successful 12 months, but still evolving given early stage. Essentially the business is an asset and operations management services company - basically trying to help companies, particularly industrial companies, extract maximum value from their assets and operations.

The fun bit is I am in control and get great variety of work... on the flip side, huge hours, adequate support is hard to find and so far the clients are very attached to me rather than the business.

Back to the OP post though, if you don't get it right (or simply get lucky), work can make life seem like a big chore.

Somewhat enjoy my job (Software architect), workmates are generally good, but corporate software is mostly about reusing components, the challenge has faded somewhat over 10 years. Hard to find an alternative on similar money though.

Pretty much hate my profession (software tester) but it pays well for what I do, honestly I can't stand being stuck in front of a computer all day which is one reason I train at lunch times, but honestly I work to live not live to work so provided i can earn enough so i can do what i want when not at work i a reasonably happy, plus we are setting ourselves up for early retirement which suits me just fine....

No reason you can't go back and do the astrophysics.

In the engineering and science classes the ages ranged from 17 to 70.
Get a few who retired and wanted to get a degree or two.

Lot of astrophysics work at CSIRO with ska.
One of the guys I used went thru uni a few subjects with and tutored with did
a good bit of the fpga work for the ska pathfinder.
The data rates (acquisition) on that thing are amazing.
Talking 70Tb a second

ASKAP Home
Square Kilometre Array
ASKAP Digital Systems
ASKAP Data Transport

After almost 20 years out of the game, it's hard to get back in. Yes, I could easily do it, but ability is not the issue.
I already have a PhD in theoretical physics so I don't need to do courses anymore.

But it's not easy getting in again. I'd be the tea lady if I could LOL

I used to build awesome shit which I loved then I moved up the ranks and just deal with peoples shit now. Always under the pump have to make decisions on the fly which I like. Get my timing right in the next building boom I will step out on my own and cash out after a few years. Probably just do little developments one at a time for the rest of my working life once I get a decent land bank. Sometimes I miss been a hard out unionised hammer swinging grunt but could never go back to it the big hours, hard drinking and drugging that is part of the culture took its toll on my health and home life.