• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet

Emma

So, I'm pretty new to weight training myself.

Just wondering what everyone's diet is like? I have been reading a book on bodybuilding for women, and it says to increase the calorie intake to around 2000 with at least 30% protein. This makes sense to me, especially on training days, however I have a friend in my ear telling me this high calorie diet will only make me fat.

Included in my diet in 40% Protein, 20% complex carbs, 30% fats.

What worked for you? Any advice you can give?

Thanks

Best thing that worked for me was switching to foods sold without a label.
Preparing neals in advance and having allowed treats on hand in case of emergency.
I lost about 20kgs not worrying about macro breakdown just calories in total.

Preparing neals in advance and having allowed treats on hand in case of emergency.

Want to avoid those high calorie labels.

A lot of people's diets vary and they are usually tailored towards what their individual goals are...

A "high calorie diet" is a pretty subjective term and wont necessarily make you fat. It really is different for every individual. One larger person may be able to cut weight eating the same amount of calories (use say 2000 as an example) that a smaller person may be using to put on weight if that makes sense??
Creating an excessive daily caloric surplus and following this over an extended period of time will however...
@kaz; is spot on...

What are your goals? That may allow us to help you out a little further :)

Last edited:
Included in my diet in 40% Protein, 20% complex carbs, 30% fats.

This only amounts to 90%, what is the other 10% made up of?

I think when starting out look at something like, 40/40/20 for P/C/F, work out what you maintenance cals should be and eat these for a period of 4 weeks or there about and see how you go, if you havent lost some weight drop the cals by 100cal a day for a couple fo weeks and monitor the results.

Clearly math isnt a strong point, that should have been 40/30/30 P/C/F.

I know I will put on weight with more muscle mass, but I want to build muscle, and a lot of it. I am looking at weight training 3 times a week, and have a seven stage plan, in which each stage last three weeks, with a rest week inbetween stages. I feel very confident in my training program and am already seeing a difference in my body and strength.

However, I'm concerned about my diet, and not giving it enough fuel to repair my muscles. I do take some supps and have a protein drink after every workout, but seeing as currently I do have a bit of fat around my body, eating this high calorie diet, I'm concerned it's too much, and on the other hand, just cannot maintain a 1200 calorie diet.

I want to build muscle, and eventually go into competition. I just love lifting weights. I've never enjoyed the gym so much in my life....

This is pretty good advice Kaz.

[MENTION=16345]Emma[/MENTION]; I suffered through 1200 calories a day whilst training 6 days a week. My hair thinnwd out, my nails brittled, and my eyes sunk back into my head and generally was always tired and getting sick. After some experimenting 1500 is my diet calories at 55-60kg range.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

Clearly math isnt a strong point, that should have been 40/30/30 P/C/F.

I know I will put on weight with more muscle mass, but I want to build muscle, and a lot of it. I am looking at weight training 3 times a week, and have a seven stage plan, in which each stage last three weeks, with a rest week inbetween stages. I feel very confident in my training program and am already seeing a difference in my body and strength.

However, I'm concerned about my diet, and not giving it enough fuel to repair my muscles. I do take some supps and have a protein drink after every workout, but seeing as currently I do have a bit of fat around my body, eating this high calorie diet, I'm concerned it's too much, and on the other hand, just cannot maintain a 1200 calorie diet.

I want to build muscle, and eventually go into competition. I just love lifting weights. I've never enjoyed the gym so much in my life....

Eat at maintenance... Continue to lift weight...

Winning!!!!

Slight calorie deficit will make you leaner...

Slight calorie excess willl give u more lean mass.. Then dependant on genetics you might end up leaner or chubbier as a result...

Weight loss is a stupid measure.... Bf% ismore important...

Eat at maintenance... Continue to lift weight...

Winning!!!!

Slight calorie deficit will make you leaner...

Slight calorie excess willl give u more lean mass.. Then dependant on genetics you might end up leaner or chubbier as a result...

Weight loss is a stupid measure.... Bf% ismore important...

This.

Everyone wants to complicate it with fancy diets and gimmicks but its not needed.